Aristides Guitars

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by jco5055, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Dude that's killer! Those pickups are very underrated, got another aristides coming in from a separate deal so this week is gonna be an arium overload for me hah.

And as for the resonance thing, they all consistently resonate to a similar degree so while I'm not sure how valid the whole Arium resonates more argument falls, it's less likely to get a guitar that sounds dead through these guys than a wooden instrument.

If we're going to get technical about this too, I don't think the resonance matters on electrics that much nor do people take advantage of it at all. Back when I had a much larger collection I experimented with resonance and found that some notes just had a significant boom to them that others didn't, C/C#/E were some of the most common notes. And when those guitars are strung up so that the tuning/low string falls on that note I definitely did notice a massive increase in how the open low note sounded and felt, I can't really explain it much further than that. But another note is that it didn't just magically make all the other notes on every string more resonant or something, 0 - 3 were the most boomy feeling notes but it gradually tapered off until another E on the lower strings.

What I think people are referring to with these is the pseudo-chambering the little crystalized bubbles in the arium produces when it's set, and it feels like the effects of chambering. For example the JPX has these couple inch long carves into the body wood, but the arium in these things have the bubbles form from headstock to the butt of the guitar in it's entirety.

makecamera likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Agreed. I'm sure it makes some difference but I don't think anyone has a solid enough grasp of how to measure resonance and make any prediction about the electric sound.

Ugh, am I going to have to hear "pseudo-chambering" among the arium crazies now? Just think about how a resonance chamber works, and the idea of a "micro-chamber" quickly falls apart. Your sound wave is going to bounce around a 0.1mm chamber? A lot of people don't realize that hardwoods are typically porous -- I think this is likely what arium was trying to mimic. Not chambers as in chambered solidbody electric guitars -- these are longer and a wave would behave in an entirely different way along a 0.5" x 5" chambered carved out of hardwood than through a resin sponge.

But similarly, I've also heard that arium is somewhat soft, thus necessitating an exo-skeleton. But the exo-skeleton is, basically, creating a large resonating chamber throughout the whole guitar. There's lots of downsides to big hollow chambers, so I'm a bit curious if the arium is actually the opposite effect -- there to absorb and limit the resonance of this large chamber. Just speculation, but a bit more based in actual physics.

This fits my experience better, as I do feel that an Aristides feels more connected throughout the body -- you feel a bit more of the effects of strumming throughout the neck and headstock in a way that's rare in solidbody wood guitars. Not a good thing/bad thing, just a thing.

Avedas likes this.
  3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

It's considerably cheaper than an 060 standard, unless you were going to go for a plain black or white finish on the standard series. Even then, it's €300 less.

Bear in mind, the marble and chameleon finishes are €450-600 extra, so most of the guitars you see posted are more than €3000.

Also, the R comes as standard with Fishman pickups and a battery pack, which is worth about €300

My 060R just exceeded €2100

Agree with this. I think one "benefit" of the arium is that it should at least be consistent. Whereas wood obviously varies by species, by the individual tree, by the position of the wood on the tree (high vs low), the amount of drying etc etc etc, I suppose that making a batch of arium and injecting into a mold for a fixed time and temperature would give more consistent results.

The guitar itself is also super thin, and the control cavity on the back is enormous - so a good part of the guitar IS actually hollow.

As for acoustic properties, here is a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plz9fqm4zuxdak0/IMG_2013.m4v?dl=0

1. ESP Eii 7 string - acoustically medium, flat
    2. Gibson LP Studio - acoustically super loud, punchy
    3. Caparison Brocken baritone - acoustically loud, deeper, clear
    4. ESP Eii Horizon NT - acoustically dead (though sounds good plugged in)
    5. Aristides 060R - you decide

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

See that 2100 is great. The 60rs starts at 2650. Sigh.

5. Flappydoodle

Honestly, I can't see why multi-scale is "needed" for 6 unless you're doing some super crazy tunings. If you want a 6 string, just save money and get an R IMO.

I wanted a workhorse, versatile guitar. And it is my first Aristides and I was buying blind without trying one first, so the R was the cheapest way in. If I get another, it will likely be an 070SR, hehe

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I mean it’s not but if I bought a standard scale 6 I’d just get a used prestige.

But it’s msotly fine. The upcharge is like 500e which isn’t even as bad as the mayones fan fret upcharge.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I think a good part of the multiscale upcharge is the pickups IIRC. They're baking in the fact you have to use the BKP/Lundgren slants into it. I could be wrong, but I thought the actual spec upgrade to FF was something like 350 EUR then.

2100 EUR is a great price on an R-series with all that Fishman stuff thrown in though. The low EUR isn't going to last, so if they didn't have something in this range I'd be worried about the future of the company. Tempting to get one now and just have it "refinished" at a later date...

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

That could be the case, and yeah Arium is pretty soft and brittle correct. And yeah I agree in general, "pseudo-chambering" was probably the wrong word to use but you know what I was going for.

Also played on an 080 today again, think I'm gonna have to grab an 080R in the near future if they can keep expanding on the colors. Dark Purple or Jet Black would be tits.

That's an interesting clip but are all the strings fresh and in similar tunings? That ESP sounded literally dead, but I can't imagine a raw (heh) string making little to no noise like that.

9. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Thanks! Didn't expect only single string plucks but still there were differences. One could say "ye that's how old strings sound like" but I assume they were somewhat equally fresh? Aristides sounded the brightest and best to me. Eii 7 and Caparison were nice and pretty close to each other.

10. Flappydoodle

Single pluck back to back made the video easier. They could also sit in the rack and I could do it consistently.

I literally just changed the strings on the Horizon. So it had the newest strings of the bunch. It's just a very quiet and flat sounding instrument unplugged. Sounds absolutely great plugged in though, with sustain for days. And the Eii7 string is a very dark guitar when plugged in, even though acoustically it's quite bright.

So really I don't value the acoustic properties of electric guitars very much. An interesting exercise, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

My main point was that people saying Aristides are SUPER resonant, like to a crazy extent, probably aren't comparing to other guitars which are resonant. It sounds fantastic plugged in though. The Fishman pickups are great, and the setup is perfect which also helps every note to ring out clearly.

11. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

That's so shocking to me about the ESP wow, I guess I've never made the side to side comparison myself over the years when I had one. And yeah I definitely agree there, there have been and sure are some guitar equally as resonant if not more, this Majesty I got recently is as close to it as I've experienced outside of the JPX7 I had for several years. Glad you're digging it though, I'm excited to own Fishmans too I only got to play a Boden Metal 6 for a week or so really but even those were Moderns, I have the Tosins coming which will be an interesting set.

I should probably ask in the Fishman thread too, but I buy an EMG Het set is it cross compatible with the fishman pots and wiring? And I guess the 5 way the Tosins are wired to? Does it ignore positions 2/4?

12. Flappydoodle

I highly doubt that it's specific to a brand. It's just that particular guitar. Thing is, I tried maybe 20 different ESP Horizons at the main store in Tokyo. That one was my favourite, and it is a mid-range guitar (not a custom, not an original series). To me, it sounded best through the amp (5150) and felt nicest to play, so I bought it.

Sorry, I have no idea about the compatibility of het set and Fishmans. I've never done my own installs :p

13. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Can someone share some thoughts about the Aristides custom BKPs? Are they suited for modern metal? I am torn between the customs and the fishmans. Maybe Jonathan can join in and enlighten me...

LeoLmX likes this.
  14. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I find them VERY clear and they don't have a ton of body. I LOVE them in my 070, but I did not enjoy them on my 060 (and spent a fortune on a Lundgren M6/TheOne set to replace them instead).
    They're very tight, very articulate, and fairly balanced overall.

The bridge pickup is based on the Holydiver which I mostly get. The Holydiver is a very articulate pickup. But I used the HD to add body to brighter-sounding guitar (an old Mayones Setius GTM I had or a JPX-7) which was a job it did well. The BKP Customs are a little clearer than that and, to my mind, sound better in guitars with a thicker natural tone.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I can demo them when I get them in, the Customs are personally a good fit for me but in Drop C I feel like they're close to being not amazing tuned that low. And don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying they're this close to being bad, I feel like if I tuned to Drop B/A# they wouldn't be sufficiently tight. But they work really well in C and above I imagine, the other guitar I have coming in has them in an 060 in E Standard so that'll be a good way to compare.

I personally really like the Holy Diver to start with, so I definitely like this pickup. I had to spend some time working on the midrange and giving it more bite in a new patch, but it feels amazing. If you lean more towards the "versatile" player, you'll like them quite a bit. Splits are awesome and the neck is extremely smooth, it has everything you need with a 5 way to give you an arsenal of tones you need for different styles.

Wouldn't be my first choice in a 7 or 8 string though.

16. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

thanks for the answers, pott and jonathan. I will go with one of the free options: SD Pegasus/Sentient so I got the passive thing going and may replace them with some BKPs later OR Fishman moderns.

What would you choose and why?

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Well if you're doing an R build, Fishmans + the Battery pack are included in the price. So I'd personally do that, and worst case I would sell them and then grab whatever you like after the fact that way you don't incur the extra cost there for the pickups even though it's a slight hassle to remove and install new pickups.

I didn't spend more than a few minutes with the Tosins last night, but wow do I like them a lot. It's way better than the Ragnaroks in the other 060, and those are no slouch either. It sounds like that video of Tosin demoing his Fishmans against all his older pickups, and it sounds almost HD in comparison to the others hah.

18. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

ok thanks. The SDs are also included and if i change them to other passives someday, which will most likely happen, then the backplate does not have tho hole from the battery pack and i can use the pots and the existing wiring.

Now the last question is: blank fretboard or 060 logo. ;)

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  19. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

@narad :lol:

I'm typically not an inlay guy myself, but I really enjoy the 060/070/080 logo on the 12th. But I wouldn't have any problems playing one with a blank board personally.

And that's definitely true, less hassle converting from active to passive for sure.

narad likes this.
  20. CloudsUr

CloudsUr Member

Man i should really disable notifications for this thread.
    Every time a new comment pops up i get a mail with the name of the thread, and while glancing at the phone i always think it's a mail from aristides telling me that the guitar is ready (which won't realistically be until late march at the earliest)

LeoLmX likes this.