Aristides Guitars

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If u are not anti-MS, I can tell u that my H/08R (w/ trem) is absolutely insane. If anything, my only complaint about it is that it is too resonant! I have it w/ Juggs, 20" radius, and black/titanium trem hybrid. IME, my 2 Aristides guitars have the best playability in my collection. Granted, I never tried a Suhr, but they don't make 8-string, MS, headless & woodless guitars either.
How are you liking the trem? Especially on an 8.

webs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've played almost a dozen of them now, a few long term, and there just isn't anything I really found special. The bodies aren't overly ergonomic, the weight isn't anything special, the neck shapes across the range aren't especially thick or thin or anything, the fretwork isn't special, the inlay is just the "flooded" style, there's just nothing to really grab me. They did look cool though, and the build was par the course for the price and market.

The way folks talk about these things I was expecting something special, but it's quite apparent that most of the chatter is just that, chatter.
It's funny, this is exactly the way I feel about Suhr, except the inverse in regards to customization - i.e., what good are all these options if none of them sound great to me? I don't think it's possible for anything in this price range to live up to the hype, because fundamentally the function of hype is to promise the impossible. Sober, disinterested assessment of instruments isn't the norm and it's certainly not incentivized in most of the places that people go to talk about guitars. I know what you mean when you say you were expecting something special, but it reads like the other side of the same coin, which is the conspiratorial "these aren't magic, the emperor has no clothes" reaction. Again, I know that's not what you were meaning, but people are going to read it that way, because most dialog here is hype and anti-hype.

For a certain price or with a certain social currency people expect brands to be magic, and either are disappointed, or figure out that a certain point it's mostly shades of 'different, not better,' or mistake their particular flavor of 'different' for magic, which hurts other buyers who hear about the magic and experience only difference. It's an unpleasant game of perpetuating unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

Stuck_in_a_dream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are you liking the trem? Especially on an 8.
It's not a Floyd (my experience is w/ 6, 7 strings), nor a Hipshot Contour (which I have on my 070), e.g. it does not flutter, due to high tension. I took 1 spring off (came w/ 4 originally) and detuned 1/2 step (drop Eb), so it's slightly less stiff now. I can dive it, and do accentuated vibrato bar stuff (a la Jeff Beck or Scott Henderson), slight vibrato on clean Jazzy chords, etc. It does stay in tune very well.

Not sure if it's me (I customized my trem, titanium block + saddles and black hw), but the strings behind the saddles can transfer a lot of noise, the whole guitar is v. resonant. I had to mute these to quiet it down, that and the standard trem spring muting of course.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ I've got a trem on my upcoming H/07 - could you share a pic of what you've done to mute here and the standard trem spring muting out of interest : )

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
It's not a Floyd (my experience is w/ 6, 7 strings), nor a Hipshot Contour (which I have on my 070), e.g. it does not flutter, due to high tension. I took 1 spring off (came w/ 4 originally) and detuned 1/2 step (drop Eb), so it's slightly less stiff now. I can dive it, and do accentuated vibrato bar stuff (a la Jeff Beck or Scott Henderson), slight vibrato on clean Jazzy chords, etc. It does stay in tune very well.

Not sure if it's me (I customized my trem, titanium block + saddles and black hw), but the strings behind the saddles can transfer a lot of noise, the whole guitar is v. resonant. I had to mute these to quiet it down, that and the standard trem spring muting of course.

Good to hear on the trem. I'm actually after a more Bigsby, subtle use scenario, so if I can align myself with multi scale, the H/08 should work well.

And I've been hunting spring ring on my Evertune 080 for a while. (Not too hard since it doesn't come through the amp.) The whole fretboard sounds alive, but there are some notes that are the exact opposite of dead notes which with any picking beyond moderate ring out hard. Crazy in a good way.

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's funny, this is exactly the way I feel about Suhr, except the inverse in regards to customization - i.e., what good are all these options if none of them sound great to me? I don't think it's possible for anything in this price range to live up to the hype, because fundamentally the function of hype is to promise the impossible. Sober, disinterested assessment of instruments isn't the norm and it's certainly not incentivized in most of the places that people go to talk about guitars. I know what you mean when you say you were expecting something special, but it reads like the other side of the same coin, which is the conspiratorial "these aren't magic, the emperor has no clothes" reaction. Again, I know that's not what you were meaning, but people are going to read it that way, because most dialog here is hype and anti-hype.

For a certain price or with a certain social currency people expect brands to be magic, and either are disappointed, or figure out that a certain point it's mostly shades of 'different, not better,' or mistake their particular flavor of 'different' for magic, which hurts other buyers who hear about the magic and experience only difference. It's an unpleasant game of perpetuating unrealistic expectations.

Well put. The reality is that there are so many options when it comes to guitars these days and so many variables that what works for you won't necessarily work for me. And vice-versa.

I think a lot of us are "chasing the dragon" so to speak, always expecting there to be a "better" guitar out there. But whatever is "better" is highly-subjective--there's no golden guitar that's the absolute pinnacle of luthiery. I mean, maybe there is on an individual basis, but my perfect guitar is not the same as yours. I've played plenty of high-end guitars and I can recognize that, objectively-speaking, they've all been exceptionally crafted instruments. But they don't all fit my needs or preferences. This is true of Aristides just as it's true of every other guitar maker.

webs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well put. The reality is that there are so many options when it comes to guitars these days and so many variables that what works for you won't necessarily work for me. And vice-versa.

I think a lot of us are "chasing the dragon" so to speak, always expecting there to be a "better" guitar out there. But whatever is "better" is highly-subjective--there's no golden guitar that's the absolute pinnacle of luthiery. I mean, maybe there is on an individual basis, but my perfect guitar is not the same as yours. I've played plenty of high-end guitars and I can recognize that, objectively-speaking, they've all been exceptionally crafted instruments. But they don't all fit my needs or preferences. This is true of Aristides just as it's true of every other guitar maker.
My main competence is in orchestral strings, and let me tell you that an extremely common reaction among people who play a Stradivarius for the first time is "that's it?"

The weight of expectation is crushing, and it isn't easy to separate the desire for magic from the hopefulness and excitement over a new experience.

The implied premise of a one dimensional continuum from bad to perfect is insidious especially (as you say) for those of us who enjoy chasing nice things.

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

That's good to know. Is it considered a "floating" bridge in the traditional sense? How does it compare to that vs a hardtail bridge in terms of note sustain?

Stuck_in_a_dream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's good to know. Is it considered a "floating" bridge in the traditional sense? How does it compare to that vs a hardtail bridge in terms of note sustain?
IMHO (I also discussed w/ my tech, lol), headless guitars in general have good sustain due to the heavier bridges. In case of my H/08, I haven't measured it, but I don't feel it (unlike w/ Strats, e.g. my Warmoth projects), sustain is totally fine. The trem is fully floating (edge/fulcrum design). I opted for the Titanium block (in lieu of Aluminum) as it is more dense (50% denser iirc), so that could be a factor as well.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Aristides should worry. A certain Puma is thinking about getting one.

Aristides is like the one brand I think is safe from Puma style criticism. No fancy details and no natural materials doesn't leave much to criticize on a well-constructed guitar.

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yo
Aristides is like the one brand I think is safe from Puma style criticism. No fancy details and no natural materials doesn't leave much to criticize on a well-constructed guitar.
You should see him do his thing on the Guitar Pit discord. Someone there invited him over.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
A user on here who is infamous for a thread earlier in the year just eyeball destroying a Rusti brand guitar, while some of the scrutiny was mildly warranted, most of it was absolutely insane levels of nitpickery that are pretty legendary at this point.