Anyone into Lorna Shore?

slslipfilth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never really care about them, checked out a few of their songs when I was going to a concert that had them on the bill (concert got canceled so didn't see them live).

Forget about them until the CJ drama surfaced and after that I initially wrote them off because of that. That is also when the Immortal was about to come out.

But it wasn't until the remaining band members made a social media post about checking out the album regardless of the drama with the singer going on as they worked hard on it.

So decided to check it out because of that and was really impressed by it. Really liked the melodic guitar work mixed in with the blackened deathcore. It became one of my favorite album releases that year and had it on a constant rotation. They eventually released an instrumental version of it which is also as enjoyable.

Really liked the new single they came out as well, was a little worried that the band might go down in flames right after a solid album. But based on the feedback on the new song and singer it looks like they are still going strong.

RoRo56

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That new single in particular feels like it was just written for Youtube react channels to me. Everything is completely over the top but it doesn't really make a good song?

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember hearing the intro to Immortal (the song) and thinking this is fucking brilliant. Then, the vocals came in...Agreed with CovertSovietBear above, the instrumental version of Immortal is outstanding. Also, I must be old b/c I think the new singer is shit. Another ruined intro, this time Into the Hellfire. I'm def old.

Acaciastrain360

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For sure immortal was good, but man the new single is so hyped it actually makes dislike it... and the hype on the breakdown is balls because dickie Allen and others have been doing that shit for years.... I’m more of an Infant Annihilator guy when it comes to fast death metal like that...

but I mean mental cruelty are awesome! Really into the new album, til be interesting to see them live in April 22, older album not so good.

it’s just all trendy at the moment the blackened deathcore

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I'm close friends to a producer whose worked with Will Ramos a bunch in the past and Will is such an absolute beast. His stems make my jaw drop haha. I think he fits well with Lorna Shore. Having said that, I will say I don't like their newest song at all though. The mix is just extremely loud with basically everything and the song structure is all over the place to me. I may not have listened to it enough but I just don't have the want to really.

As a personal aside, the ending breakdown got me to a better understanding of throat tunnel. It sparked an interest in how it's done and I can do it pretty well now.

I'm baked and rambling. k bi

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really late to the party on this one, I just recently listened 'To The Hellfire" and I was hooked! I listened to it quite a bit and then listened to the EP. The title track is just an emotional roller coaster, symphonic elements that flirt with Euro power metal and Black metal, intricate riffs, breakdowns, insane drumming, amazing vocal performance, really beautiful melodies and the interplay of the more straightforward melodic lines with the riffs are just so well done. The leads are melodic and tasteful that add to the composition.

This is my first time listening to this band and I feel like if I listen to their previous releases I won't enjoy them just due to the vocals not being up there.
Yes, everything is full on to 11 and beyond and I like it! It's been a while since a piece of music caught my attention this much!

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think this too over the top for me. I can do most death metal but the super clean brick wall production of many of these "death-corish" bands tires my ears. It's a physical thing. Sort of like that first to last Emmure record. First time I put it on it hit me like a shockwave. It used so hard, but then after a few songs I couldn't take it anymore.

I can see how others would like this but for me it's too much. I'd rather listen to something more loose.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I think this too over the top for me. I can do most death metal but the super clean brick wall production of many of these "death-corish" bands tires my ears. It's a physical thing. Sort of like that first to last Emmure record. First time I put it on it hit me like a shockwave. It used so hard, but then after a few songs I couldn't take it anymore.

I can see how others would like this but for me it's too much. I'd rather listen to something more loose.

I’m with you on the production/composition. I really dig the song but it seems sort of out of place when they switch from one part to another like they patched to different ideas together with no flow. I still dig it though. The vocalist is wickedly talented.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I came across them on YouTube and I liked what I heard. Get a BDM vibe from some songs which for me is a win. Hope they keep putting out new stuff. I’m old and have to try to find new music lol. My Spotify is snitching on my age/tastes with their recommendations now lol.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m with you on the production/composition. I really dig the song but it seems sort of out of place when they switch from one part to another like they patched to different ideas together with no flow. I still dig it though. The vocalist is wickedly talented.

Yeah I see what you are saying. I actually don't mind the patchy vibe as much. it's the saturation of elements throughout that feels overbearing after a while. It hits really hard but then never lets on. I have a similar issue. with albums from shadow of intent and stuff like that. It has that thumping sound that I dislike. But it's a matter of taste. Power to them if they are successful. I agree they are talented performers.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Their guitarist was on the riffhard podcast a few weeks back and I found his approach to guitar playing really interesting. He seems really into honing his craft.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean to the hellfire has a place on my playlist, it's up there with a tear in the fabric of life for the heaviest thing on there and I need to devote time and energy to listen to it, unlike things like alpha wolf or carcass that I can just throw on any time and enjoy

but like fuck it's so intense and when you're in the mood for it it's mind blowing

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean to the hellfire has a place on my playlist, it's up there with a tear in the fabric of life for the heaviest thing on there and I need to devote time and energy to listen to it, unlike things like alpha wolf or carcass that I can just throw on any time and enjoy

but like fuck it's so intense and when you're in the mood for it it's mind blowing

Now that you say it Knocked Loose also have a bit of that thumping kick in the ribs sort of low. I feel it wasn't as prominent on the EP you mention (which by the way is a favorite of mine too) as on the previous record, though. I was trying to think of another example that feels overbearing and you guys may be onto something here. The Cattle Decap example above makes me think it could be the vocal delivery that tires me out and I just never noticed. Darko US has a similar effect on me. The intense high pitch fried shrieks over the–in comparison–very low music might be what's wearing me out after a few listens.

I wonder if this is how my friends and wife feel about all the other bands I listen to. :D

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i love that CJ basically tried to copy to the hellfire and mostly everyone was like meh Will is better. to the hellfire was trending for way longer which must have got him salty.

i like the symphonic blackened deathcore stuff out right now. worm shepard, lorna shore, mental cruelty. its not that raw visceral gut punch of myspace era stuff but the polishing and processing kinda is beautiful to listen when you are in the right mood.

Wynseun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not really a fan of the band's sound as a whole but I love Adam's guitar playing for some reason