Anyone actually striving to be more minimalist?

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm certainly downsizing. I used to have a big pedalboard, bough a Line 6 POD HD500X at some point and frankly couldn't care less about stompboxes anymore. It's mostly the dragging around of gear for playing in a band that got tiring. Then found out the HX Stomp existed and got that, really cuts down on the how much weight and volume I carry around – and it's a lot better than the POD HD. Some years ago I also bought a 2x12 to use live instead of my 4x12. You could say, the easier to carry around stuff, the better. So next step is buying a headless 8 string and sell the other one. I have six guitars in total atm, but I'm probably selling two other unused guitars too to fund that 8 string.

In terms of how I use my guitar, I'm quite minimalist too. Good amp patch on the HX Stomp, maybe add a delay here and there and that's it.

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Sort of. A few years of financial hardship had me sell almost everything and get me well and truly out of sentimental and collectors mindset, for which I am grateful. Most of that gear is/was not to my tastes now anyway. Right now I own two electrics, an acoustic, and a bass. WILD.
Overall I've gone from wanting/having an array of fairly crazy ERGs down to being into simple metal guitars. A good part of it was due to becoming content with only playing/writing death/black metal and drone, rather than wanting to create every genre I enjoy listening to.
My rig goals are still pretty crazy given interest in stereo and lots of effects for drone etc but..I'm content with the idea of using the same absolutely insane rig for every guitar, bass, and even synths...that's minimal..right? :rofl:

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
All I want is my main rig and backup in case it breaks, some extra tubes and strings etc. I found even when I owned a lot of Custom and higher end Ibbys etc. I always just play my main two guitars anyways. No sense in it sitting around so I got rid of just about everything a long time ago. I keep trying new stuff from time to time but it rarely stays.

Vres

Surgical
Reaction score
As I don't tour, a ten-year-old interface, guitar and bass guitar is all I have and need (aside from the laptop, studio monitors and headphones). I would never own more than two guitars at a time. The more things I can do with just one, the better. The only thing I wish my Strandberg had is a whammy bar, and if I bought another guitar it would just be a regular six string for "non-serious" stuff (not used for recording for example).

Omzig

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Life is short,guitar are many (with more coming out everyday) So yep...NO ;)

I can off set this need a lot though as i don't have kids...i don't drive,have only been on a plane 10 times in my 49 years,i grow a lot of my own food and have large solar pannels for lecy...so

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I go through phases, which isn't good, because hoeing out a room full of guitars never gets you decent sale prices. But my gear itself is usually minimalistic in its forms. For example, out of my four main guitars, they have exactly one control knob (for piezo/synth volume), and half of them are single pickup guitars. For effects pedals I use only a gate. I've been tempted to mod my amp such that the EQ is all loktited in place or whatever, just to cut down on the number of fiddly knobs that basically need to stay the fuck where I put them. Just give me volume, gain, and presence or resonance.

It'd be nice to someday have a guitar with a swappable fretboard so I can play both "normal" and "weird" music on the same guitar, but it'd still be extra fretboards to keep up with, so I don't really know if it'd make much of a point.

Der JD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hell no. Life is short. Guitars and gear make me happy. Live life like every day could be your last.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I do, almost actively. I haven't bought a new guitar for 3 years now. One or two pedals. only the necessary ones. But amps and cabs, I try really hard. But they look soooo good stacked on top of each other. I enter my room and I see that neat wall of cabs and stack of amps, it just brings happiness. lol

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After few years of trial and error I kinda sorta settled on a couple of guitars (4 to be exact) and a few diff signal chains that are reasonably simple:
1- amp (+ noise gate) + speaker cab
2- fm3 + FRFR
3 - pedalboard with a couple of pedals+preamp+SS power amp+speaker cab

So to be truly "minimalist" I would need to pick one of these but for the foreseeable future that's how I roll

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
amps wise, yeah. since the rise of modeling stuff i've gravitated towards that. really dont need multiple amps/cabs/heads/pedals, which in turn would become more cables, more space taken, etc.

guitars wise tho... ive bought a bunch, collected a bunch. i like them all tbh. but, everytime i think something along the lines of "i should sell this one or that one", just the thought of going thru the selling process, packing it, insuring it, shipping it... I'm hit with this overwhelming laziness, so i end up keeping them.

GuitarJack

Midlife crisis player
Reaction score
After 20+ years of doing guitar straight into a 5150 and calling it a day, with a PodXT for occasional mod effects and direct/silent playing, I've been filling my GAS tank with all the cool stuff that's come out since then, and having a good time exploring it all. However I have a defined goal of what the final rig will be, what the equipment will fulfill musically, and stay focused on that. So it's a bit of both for me, and is about how I treat other things in my life - nothing excessive, but it's going to do what I want and fit a need.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Definitely trying.

My rig always was quite minimalistic, just one amp and a few pedals and that's it. These days even more so, as I just have 3U worth of rack gear + a 4x12" and that's it. Guitars? A bit less minimalistic... I've come to the conclusion that I'll never get enough selling them to cover their sentimental value, so the 9 I have will stay.

As for the rest of the house... Trying, but we've got an insane amount of stuff. For example, we have 3 sets of dining room chairs for some reason. And they're all my wife's... I made firewood of mine when we moved in together :lol: Our main floor is mostly tidy and somewhat minimal, but the basement and attic spaces are crammed with stuff you just can't throw away for various reasons.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. At one point in the mid 2000's I had 12-15 average guitars, now I have 2 great guitars for touring, 2 sentimental guitars, 1 bass for recording and my rig has been a Kemper since 2014. My recorded and live tones have never been better because there's no hype and honeymoon periods and I stay focussed on making music instead of acquiring gear.