Any vinyl fans here? What is your favorite album on vinyl?

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been wanting to get my turntable fixed for a long time, finally did it last week. I've mostly been waiting for my son to get a bit older, he is almost 5 now so hopefully I can keep him from breaking it lol.

I have a Denon DP-23F and I just had a Ortofon 2M Red installed on it, I also picked up a Schiit Mani preamp. Speakers are Bose 901s being driven by a Carvin power amp.

Most of my albums are older music as they belonged to my Dad, I'd like to pick up some newer music to listen to on Vinyl, let me know what your favorites are. I like most all music except Rap and New Country. I did pick up Yes 90125 at a local record shop, that has always been a favorite album of mine, sounds fantastic too.

I want to pick up Vai's "Story of Light", I know he mixed and mastered the vinyl record all on analog equipment specifically for it, cheapest one on eBay right now is $75, not quite ready to spend that much on it though.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I haven't used my turntable in years but by far my most played record on it is "They Only Come Out At Night" by the Edgar Winter Group.

The first song, "hanging around" starts with this guitar bend or slide that always fakes me out as to whether the record has actually got up to speed yet. Just thinking about it takes me back to being in college and being a filthy wannabe hipster with my record player and 70s vinyl. I even built myself a vacuum tube preamp and headphone amp at one point out of spare parts and such. Oh engineering school. What fun.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to have a huge record collection of records (hard not to when you manage a record store) but ended up selling the vast majority of it a few years. I just got tired of moving my collection around from apartment to apartment. Now I'm just left with records that have more sentimental value to me than monetary value to other people, or a few albums that feel like we're very influential to my development as a musician & as a listener.

To answer the question though, my favorite records in my collection are either Heat Death of The Universe by Off Minor or my (pre reunion) Godspeed You! Black Emperor discography.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
I buy vinyl. Not for any sort of lofty audiophile reason, but I came to the realization that my experience of music had become something almost entirely on-the-go. It became the background to workouts and commutes, and then certain albums associated with negative experiences related to same, like jobs that I hated, bland stretches of road, et cetera. I wanted something where I could sit, relax, and make the music the focus again- something un-portable. Am I listening to music all the time in this idea scenario? Fuck no- but I'm trying :lol:

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I buy vinyl. Not for any sort of lofty audiophile reason, but I came to the realization that my experience of music had become something almost entirely on-the-go. It became the background to workouts and commutes, and then certain albums associated with negative experiences related to same, like jobs that I hated, bland stretches of road, et cetera. I wanted something where I could sit, relax, and make the music the focus again- something un-portable. Am I listening to music all the time in this idea scenario? Fuck no- but I'm trying :lol:

You know the same thing was happening to me, and when I put on an album I find I feel more connected with the music. It takes more effort to put on an album, it is certainly more work than just throwing on Pandora or whatever, but I find I often grab a drink and just sit in front of my speakers and actually "listen" to the music, and I haven't done that in a LONG time.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Yessongs, Yes' live album from the early 70s. Their live versions of Siberian Khatru and Heart of the Sunrise absolutely annihilate the studio versions. I'm not generally a fan of live albums, but Yessongs is Yes' best record ever released, to the point that I have a hard time enjoying the studio albums anymore.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love playing LPs from old school punk and death metal bands, there is just something about the old (shitty) production that feels so "alive". It's probably all in my head, but it's fun.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Tell you what my LEAST favorite record on vinyl is: Crack the Skye by Mastadon.

The vinyl master is SO bad. There's like no stereo field. I wonder if they were super aggressive with the bass-to-mono cutoff for the vinyl master. I know that's a thing, though I don't totally remember why. Something about how the grooves are cut.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My post doesn't exactly fit the OP's request because none of my albums are new and they're not necessarily recommendations but figured I'd post a few of my favorites. Most of these are special to me because it's how I remember them sounding the very first time that I heard them... every little click and pop. Also most of these albums I've listened to endlessly cause it was all that I had... no itunes, no spotify, no youtube. It really gave me a great appreciation for each and every song. Anyway, apologies to OP since this doesn't really address the thread intent.

Metallica- Creeping Death 1986

UFO- Strangers In The Night 1979

Rush- Temples Of The Syrinx St. Louis 1980

Pink Floyd- The Film 1982

King Crimson- Lizard 1970

Van Halen- Women & Children First 1980

Todd Rundgren- A Wizard, A True Star 1973

Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage Act I 1979

Rush- Archives 1978/ 2112 1976/ Moving Pictures 1981/ A Farewell To Kings 1977

The Beatles- White Album ( WEISS white vinyl) 1985

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Yessongs, Yes' live album from the early 70s. Their live versions of Siberian Khatru and Heart of the Sunrise absolutely annihilate the studio versions. I'm not generally a fan of live albums, but Yessongs is Yes' best record ever released, to the point that I have a hard time enjoying the studio albums anymore.
Yessongs is great and all but it can't be the best Yes album because it features Alan White without any songs from Relayer or Drama.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
S2FpqLK.jpg

Also, I have an original copy of Street Survivors from before they changed the cover.

Street%2BSurvivors1.jpg

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice.

What model preamp is that and how do you like it?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Nice.

What model preamp is that and how do you like it?
It is a "fosi audio phono preamp". I don't have a great way to evaluate it tbh but it gets the job done. I doubt the tubes are adding anything to the sound quality but they look cool. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a major factor in picking it (other than that the cheaper fully solid state ones had a lot of reviews talking about them dying).

Build quality is good. The look and feel is nice.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At first I wanted a tube preamp myself because I'm a fan of tube amps and I also think they look cool. However the more research I did I learned that unless you spend a LOT of money the tubes do nothing or very little in the circuit, so I went with the Schitt Mani instead.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
At first I wanted a tube preamp myself because I'm a fan of tube amps and I also think they look cool. However the more research I did I learned that unless you spend a LOT of money the tubes do nothing or very little in the circuit, so I went with the Schitt Mani instead.
Oh I totally believe it. In my case I just wanted something that would function, since my upstairs stereo doesn't have a phono in. I really only do vinyl for the fun of it, so ...eh. Low voltage tubes it is, haha.

Martinzz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey! I have SL-1200 turntable, but lately I have not listened to him much. I need to change the cartridge and stylus but I can't find good options to buy. I saw several options for cartridge for technics 1200 in internet, what can you say for example about Audio-Technica’s AT-VM95ML, is it good?