Any metal bands you don't get?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if I already posted this but listening to a Sumac CD my buddy sent me today and I just don't get it. Based on the members I should love this band and they have a few bangers but mostly their music just makes me confused and bewildered. I listen to a lot of weird and unpleasant shit so it's always surprising and even fun in some ways when I find something that is too weird for me.

To be clear I have respect for the obviously high degree of musicianship but man... I just don't get it :lol:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Not sure if I already posted this but listening to a Sumac CD my buddy sent me today and I just don't get it. Based on the members I should love this band and they have a few bangers but mostly their music just makes me confused and bewildered. I listen to a lot of weird and unpleasant shit so it's always surprising and even fun in some ways when I find something that is too weird for me.

To be clear I have respect for the obviously high degree of musicianship but man... I just don't get it :lol:

I sort of agree. The Deal (their debut) was great. They've been getting more experimental with each album, and it just ends up sounding sort of unfocused to me. Like they're trying to improvise sludge/post-metal. Some of it is still good, but a lot more misses than hits. Don't even get me started on the Keiji Haino collaboration albums (but then again I hate noise-rock with a passion). :lol:

Last edited:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Is Sumac a full time project? I thought they were like a supergroup that members were writing stuff when they could, but I didn't realize it was going to become a regular group for them. They're touring with Big Brave and Tashi Dorji (never heard of) next month and it's cheap enough that I might check it out.

I also always unfortunately confuse Sumac with SubRosa who are much, much better but alas, they disbanded

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is Sumac a full time project? I thought they were like a supergroup that members were writing stuff when they could, but I didn't realize it was going to become a regular group for them. They're touring with Big Brave and Tashi Dorji (never heard of) next month and it's cheap enough that I might check it out.

I also always unfortunately confuse Sumac with SubRosa who are much, much better but alas, they disbanded

Big Brave are so so good, and incomparable live. I would absolutely recommend going just for them. I saw them touring with SUNN, who were great and I am a huge fan of, and as far as I'm concerned Big Brave absolutely stole the show. Also their guitarist Mat Ball just put out a really cool experimental album called Amplified Guitar.

I have a feeling I would enjoy Sumac more in person as well.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a Manowar fanboy (when I bought a record player couple years ago one of my first record purchases was Hail to England - original pressing ain't cheap lol), but can't stand pretty much any other "Power Metal" bands.

AC/DC - big fan so by "Dad Rock" association I should also dig Van Halen - but I don't lol. Obv technical mastery is there especially for the time but can't really stand any of the tunes. When e.g. "Jump" comes on the radio it's an instant switch the station deal.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Potentially hot take, but Slayer.

Drummers aside (ie- Lombardo made Metallica's Battery much more listenable when he briefly filled in live and that's awesome), the same old atonal guitar solo + riff formula got boring, really quickly.
What really pisses me off is that Slayer could actually play a cogent solo should they choose to. Problem is, they rarely if ever chose to do so. The riffs and drumming rock, but the solos are devoid of any discernable licks and in general ruin it.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a Manowar fanboy (when I bought a record player couple years ago one of my first record purchases was Hail to England - original pressing ain't cheap lol), but can't stand pretty much any other "Power Metal" bands.

AC/DC - big fan so by "Dad Rock" association I should also dig Van Halen - but I don't lol. Obv technical mastery is there especially for the time but can't really stand any of the tunes. When e.g. "Jump" comes on the radio it's an instant switch the station deal.

But that's also Jump. Have you listened to I'm the One or Unchained?

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But that's also Jump. Have you listened to I'm the One or Unchained?

I know those tunes yes. I'm the One and Hot for Teacher are probably the only tunes of theirs that I can handle not that I dig them or anything though

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

Sumac has a few bangers, and I only really found songs I liked on What One Becomes, but a lot of it goes right over me. I can also do without the random noodling; seeing it live is one thing but I don't need that level of improv on recordings.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Most technical death metal except perhaps Psycroptic and newer Decapitated (which arguably isnt death metal).

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sumac has a few bangers, and I only really found songs I liked on What One Becomes, but a lot of it goes right over me. I can also do without the random noodling; seeing it live is one thing but I don't need that level of improv on recordings.

I read in an interview that they were trying to intentionally avoid "cathartic song structures" or something like that. I thought it was a cool idea especially considering how much they lean on that in their other bands. I would say they succeeded massively to that end, and though the result is a bit much for me I definitely see and respect where it's coming from. Gives one a lot to ponder.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What really pisses me off is that Slayer could actually play a cogent solo should they choose to. Problem is, they rarely if ever chose to do so. The riffs and drumming rock, but the solos are devoid of any discernable licks and in general ruin it.
Slayer solos:
Turkey fight.
Monkey in a blender.

I saw a youtuber a while back trying to describe what creating a Slayer solo must be like. He emphasized that it was extremely important to not coordinate right and left hands. Just flail. And smash that whammy bar every bar or two. Sadly, he then recorded a solo that sounded like Kerry King could have recorded it thirty years ago. LOL.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slayer solos:
Turkey fight.
Monkey in a blender.

I saw a youtuber a while back trying to describe what creating a Slayer solo must be like. He emphasized that it was extremely important to not coordinate right and left hands. Just flail. And smash that whammy bar every bar or two. Sadly, he then recorded a solo that sounded like Kerry King could have recorded it thirty years ago. LOL.
There are a few solos in their catalog that actually sound alright, like there was some sort of idea they were trying to convey. Mostly, though, they just beat off on the neck, play with the "wang bar" as Ace puts it, and call it a day.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone drop a Wang bar in a minute, goddamn lmao

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are a few solos in their catalog that actually sound alright, like there was some sort of idea they were trying to convey. Mostly, though, they just beat off on the neck, play with the "wang bar" as Ace puts it, and call it a day.
100% guarantee, if the solo sounds like something, it's not Kerry. It's either Jeff, or a "guest."

I remember an interview back when I was heavily into Slayer where Kerry said to the person conducting the interview something about how Jeff has things he tries to play the same every night, but he (Kerry) just wings it night after night, though tries to keep things in the same general vein. LOL. What a shit attitude for one of the biggest players in the genre.

Though Kerry King and shit attitude are a fairly likely pairing.

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It pains me to say it, but I don't get Parkway Drive anymore :(

.... also I love Ghost, but they are definitely NOT metal lol

Zer01

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Y’all are right about Slayer - it’s speed and chaos. Hellish, wild confusion. Like a horror movie when the musical stinger zaps you.

As for what I don’t get: Cryptopsy. I never was interested enough to find out what makes people think they’re great, but another song popped up on Spotify for me, and it was just noise.