Any love for Floyd Rose Bridges?

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saddles look fine to me, I wouldnt change the saddle positioning although as you said I'd run D, B & high E strings with the saddle screw in the other position, closer to the bridge. You're downtuned a reasonable amount so makes sense that the saddles are farther toward the bridge than it came stock

Also, please post a full body shot of that thing! Looks awesome
I had a luthier out of New Mexico build this for me. He did everything except assembly, wiring, hardware and setup. I bought a Floyd 1984 because it was what was available at the time. I like it except for the screw in arm, if it gets in too tight its a real bitch to get out.

Attachments

• PXL_20220917_231512320.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220917_231512320.NIGHT.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20220917_231605843.jpg
    PXL_20220917_231605843.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
I had a luthier out of New Mexico build this for me. He did everything except assembly, wiring, hardware and setup. I bought a Floyd 1984 because it was what was available at the time. I like it except for the screw in arm, if it gets in too tight its a real bitch to get out.

85 and the brass fine tuners are an awesome combo. I'd go with the modern Floyd push-in arm as a replacement. The Red Bishop Magik Arm also feels great but the mechanism is overengineered to the point of super-fragility.

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
85 and the brass fine tuners are an awesome combo. I'd go with the modern Floyd push-in arm as a replacement. The Red Bishop Magik Arm also feels great but the mechanism is overengineered to the point of super-fragility.
Thanks for noticing that brass and gold coordination haha. Yeah I'm definitely putting the push in arm on this guitar.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here’s maybe a basic question: I’m aware that a FR should have a flatter radius than the actual radius of the fretboard, like how a 12-16” guiter should have a bridge that measures closer to like 20”. So when a Floyd rose has a radius pre-set at 12”, I know Sophia is 14, etc…is the bridge actually 12/14 etc, or is it at “the bridge radius needed for a fretboard radius of 12/14 etc”?

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 on the red bishop. I also recommend replacing the standard arm with a "mighty mite" floyd arm and keeping the stock collar (mighty mite arm has a thick plastic collar that works much better at staying screwed on tight than the traditional bar/metal washer mechanism, the bar is quite inexpensive as well). I had a floyd branded push in arm for a short while and the delrin cracked and split and it loosened quite a bit with each use

Omzig

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here’s maybe a basic question: I’m aware that a FR should have a flatter radius than the actual radius of the fretboard, like how a 12-16” guiter should have a bridge that measures closer to like 20”. So when a Floyd rose has a radius pre-set at 12”, I know Sophia is 14, etc…is the bridge actually 12/14 etc, or is it at “the bridge radius needed for a fretboard radius of 12/14 etc”?
You need to shim the outer saddles to help closer match the FB radius, if you don't you'll end up with 1 of the following..... if you have good action buzz free inner string but the outer strings will choke/buzz......or outer strings will have good action but inner (a,d,g,b strings) will have a higher than wanted action.

i think the only factory Pre-shimmed Floyd equiped guitar i evet bought was/is a squire Showmaster with a Ping unit (just being refinished in Neo Pink) crazy that we still see almost £1k guitars aren't correctly shimmed.....

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need to shim the outer saddles to help closer match the FB radius, if you don't you'll end up with 1 of the following..... if you have good action buzz free inner string but the outer strings will choke/buzz......or outer strings will have good action but inner (a,d,g,b strings) will have a higher than wanted action.

i think the only factory Pre-shimmed Floyd equiped guitar i evet bought was/is a squire Showmaster with a Ping unit (just being refinished in Neo Pink) crazy that we still see almost £1k guitars aren't correctly shimmed.....
So then since I know an OFR comes pre-shimmed at 12”, is that for a 10” radius (which makes sense considering the locking nut is 10”), or is it for a 12”? Sorry I get the explanation you gave I just don’t know how that applies to the “default” shimmed settings

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Curious for anyone who's got an older Jackson with the JT580, how they are? It seems like they're hit or miss, which is to be expected with a licensed tremolo, just not sure if it would be worth expecting to immediately swap it out for an OFR/Gotoh or if it's worth doing through a setup first?

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curious for anyone who's got an older Jackson with the JT580, how they are? It seems like they're hit or miss, which is to be expected with a licensed tremolo, just not sure if it would be worth expecting to immediately swap it out for an OFR/Gotoh or if it's worth doing through a setup first?
They’re fine, been playing on an old ‘90’s Kelly Professional with one and it holds up well. I prefer the 590 for some reason

Reactions: MFB

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
They’re fine, been playing on an old ‘90’s Kelly Professional with one and it holds up well. I prefer the 590 for some reason

Did some reading up on it, sounds like the 590 is a Schaller made tremolo just stamped with the Jackson logo on it so I imagine that's why it feels better than the 580, even if the other holds up well enough.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because the 590 is a Schaller? The Takeguchi (JT-580LP) isn't terrible if the studs are set right, but not in the same league as the JT-590.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Because the 590 is a Schaller? The Takeguchi (JT-580LP) isn't terrible if the studs are set right, but not in the same league as the JT-590.

Was the 590 on specific models to look out for, or was it line specific for certain years?

If I can find a model with one I'd like to save myself the trouble, but if it's a crapshoot then I'll take what I can get.

Naxxpipe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How would one go about to identify the Jackson trems? I have a 2001 King V with a Jackson stamped floyd, and would like to know what it is.
I have no pic at hand right now, but may snap one later.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How would one go about to identify the Jackson trems? I have a 2001 King V with a Jackson stamped floyd, and would like to know what it is.
I have no pic at hand right now, but may snap one later.

Just Google it. It should be fairly apparent which is which. The baseplates are different shapes.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was the 590 on specific models to look out for, or was it line specific for certain years?

If I can find a model with one I'd like to save myself the trouble, but if it's a crapshoot then I'll take what I can get.
The 590 was on the Professional "Pro" models (the ones with Ebony boards) from 1991-1994. They're on the "XL" models from 1991-1993, and those switch to 580LPs after that. They're on pretty much everything from Japan ("toothpaste" Charvels included) from 1989-1991, except the *really* low-end models that only have the single-locking Schaller and the Charvettes that were made in Japan, which have a totally crap locking trem that looks like it cost about $5. :lol:

The catalog archive is also quite helpful.

• Love
Reactions: MFB