Another NeuralDSP plugin incoming

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah, true. I was going to say it's probably a Mark because they haven't done any Mesa stuff yet but the Petrucci plugin most likely has some kind of Mesa modeled there.
Mesa already works with Amplitube, so that's probably one of the more accurate plugins you'll get.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's not forget how pointless is to speculate on NDSP teasers. The GUI designs never have anything to do with whatever they represent :lol:

onefingersweep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I cant say ive really loved anything ive tried from them (nts, nameless, omega,) any more than many other plugins ive tried. Not worth the price imo. Ymmv
Yes they are overpriced unfortunately. The Petrucci-plugin is amazing tho. However, I wouldn never spend that type of money on a single amp sim.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That and if it's an accurate render of the amp; the input jack and indicator light aren't right.

Join me and @STRHelvete in singing the praises of Vadim/VTar Amps. Significantly cheaper and sound just as good.
Different line but I've always said one of the most brutal sounds that can be had came from an unboosted LePou LeGion sim and good IR. Fight me.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's all guitarists do in the first place.
Exactly. We all emulate our guitar heroes whether we know it or not because those sounds become the sounds we like so we gravitate towards gear that produces those sounds. Plugins having a name associated to them is no different from buying a 5150 back in the day because of the EVH association.

Reaction score
Exactly. We all emulate our guitar heroes whether we know it or not because those sounds become the sounds we like so we gravitate towards gear that produces those sounds. Plugins having a name associated to them is no different from buying a 5150 back in the day because of the EVH association.
I dunno about all that. Lots of guitarists just use what works and is the most practical for their needs. Not everyone follows guitar legends or brands. Everyone goes after a tone of some kind and sometimes we associate it with an amp or whatnot because that's where it comes from.
But Neural shit isn't even practical when cheaper and better solutions exist. This is the same thing as people needing to have some 3k "boutique" amp when some 300 dollar used amp from a guitar shop would have been just fine.
Hell in my opinion there's no reason to even buy amp sims and IRs unless you just really want them. Some people like collecting which is fine, but there are lots of people who think this is just how it works. It isn't

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno about all that. Lots of guitarists just use what works and is the most practical for their needs. Not everyone follows guitar legends or brands. Everyone goes after a tone of some kind and sometimes we associate it with an amp or whatnot because that's where it comes from.
But Neural shit isn't even practical when cheaper and better solutions exist. This is the same thing as people needing to have some 3k "boutique" amp when some 300 dollar used amp from a guitar shop would have been just fine.
Hell in my opinion there's no reason to even buy amp sims and IRs unless you just really want them. Some people like collecting which is fine, but there are lots of people who think this is just how it works. It isn't
Everyone starts from liking some guitarist and emulating them. A lot of people are buying e.g Strats because they like John Mayer or SRV, or maybe buy a Mesa Mark because they are a Metallica or Petrucci fan. That's normal. Even when people branch into their own thing and stop looking at what other guitarists are doing, they still have some template sound in their head that is probably based on their heroes. I know fully well mine is some sort of mix of my infuences. That gets reflected in my choice of gear, just subconsciously.

The only requirement for buying gear is being able to afford it. So if you want to buy an expensive boutique amp, you can as long as you are able to pay for it. The person who bought the 300 dollar amp is not somehow smarter or more of a guitarist because they spent less. We can all choose what we are willing to spend on gear. For someone it's buying a Wizard amp, for someone else that is not a good value.

Plugins and IR packs feed directly into the "buy something out of boredom" a lot of people suffer from. You spend a little money every few months to have a new toy to play with because getting better with more practice is boring. Same as people who are constantly buying new guitars, amps or pedals, but plugins/IRs are generally cheaper. It's the chase of "that one thing that will elevate my tone to the next level" and it's largely a fool's errand. Saying that as a big fool myself. For modeler users that is at least cheap as we can just go "ooh, shiny new firmware update!" and install it for free.

I think buying a couple of NeuralDSP plugins would be a really good value if your goal is to just have something that sounds good out of the box for recording, because the plugins do that. To me their biggest value is good presets rather than having the world's best modeling. I've tried most of them at this point just out of curiosity (and will probably try the next one too) and always found something that I would enjoy using. I tried replicating the sound of a particular preset on the Nolly plugin by using ML Sound Lab MIKKO cab sim and Line6 Helix Native. I was able to get pretty much the same thing, but it took me time to get there, time that I could have been using to just play the sound that was already built into the NeuralDSP plugin.

Reaction score
Everyone starts from liking some guitarist and emulating them. A lot of people are buying e.g Strats because they like John Mayer or SRV, or maybe buy a Mesa Mark because they are a Metallica or Petrucci fan. That's normal. Even when people branch into their own thing and stop looking at what other guitarists are doing, they still have some template sound in their head that is probably based on their heroes. I know fully well mine is some sort of mix of my infuences. That gets reflected in my choice of gear, just subconsciously.

The only requirement for buying gear is being able to afford it. So if you want to buy an expensive boutique amp, you can as long as you are able to pay for it. The person who bought the 300 dollar amp is not somehow smarter or more of a guitarist because they spent less. We can all choose what we are willing to spend on gear. For someone it's buying a Wizard amp, for someone else that is not a good value.

Plugins and IR packs feed directly into the "buy something out of boredom" a lot of people suffer from. You spend a little money every few months to have a new toy to play with because getting better with more practice is boring. Same as people who are constantly buying new guitars, amps or pedals, but plugins/IRs are generally cheaper. It's the chase of "that one thing that will elevate my tone to the next level" and it's largely a fool's errand. Saying that as a big fool myself. For modeler users that is at least cheap as we can just go "ooh, shiny new firmware update!" and install it for free.

I think buying a couple of NeuralDSP plugins would be a really good value if your goal is to just have something that sounds good out of the box for recording, because the plugins do that. To me their biggest value is good presets rather than having the world's best modeling. I've tried most of them at this point just out of curiosity (and will probably try the next one too) and always found something that I would enjoy using. I tried replicating the sound of a particular preset on the Nolly plugin by using ML Sound Lab MIKKO cab sim and Line6 Helix Native. I was able to get pretty much the same thing, but it took me time to get there, time that I could have been using to just play the sound that was already built into the NeuralDSP plugin.

Depends on your aim. Are you just looking for various features and a sound? Then it's not logical to overspend on a new shiny name brand when cheaper will get the job done. Consumer 101. When it comes to musicians and sound, the rule still applies that the shortest route between two distances is a straight line. If you WANT to take the long route then sure. If you're doing it because you think it'll somehow give you the hidden secrets to tone (as many, many guitarists do), then you are in fact wasting your time.
Hell I've got over 6 thousand IRs and 20-30 something amp sims including Helix Native. I like collecting them and spending a little money here or there to support some of my favorite sim makers. That being said I know what works, I understand that at the end of the day the amp sim doesn't really matter a giant amount, and I have my go-tos that get the job done. I'm not chasing a tone as I have all I need, I just like dicking around with different things sometimes. When it comes to recording and studio stuff, however, I don't fuck around with a million things. Time is money and I apply that even when it's my own recording setup at home.
I have yet to play a Neural that I found to be worth the money. If anything it made me realize just how much you can do with free sims and IRs that sound just as good, and often times better, than what Neural has. After EQing, post processing, and how a guitar tone is mixed, any amp could be damn near any amp so the new expensive thing really isn't even needed.
If you're just gear whoring for fun then sure, why not? If you're falling down that rabbit hole of buying the latest thing because you still aren't satisfied, the gear isn't the problem. I see way, way too many people doing the latter with Neural..many of which don't even know there are free options out there or they immediately write it off because it's not in shiny Neural packaging.
Ah well. As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Depends on your aim. Are you just looking for various features and a sound? Then it's not logical to overspend on a new shiny name brand when cheaper will get the job done. Consumer 101. When it comes to musicians and sound, the rule still applies that the shortest route between two distances is a straight line. If you WANT to take the long route then sure. If you're doing it because you think it'll somehow give you the hidden secrets to tone (as many, many guitarists do), then you are in fact wasting your time.
Hell I've got over 6 thousand IRs and 20-30 something amp sims including Helix Native. I like collecting them and spending a little money here or there to support some of my favorite sim makers. That being said I know what works, I understand that at the end of the day the amp sim doesn't really matter a giant amount, and I have my go-tos that get the job done. I'm not chasing a tone as I have all I need, I just like dicking around with different things sometimes. When it comes to recording and studio stuff, however, I don't fuck around with a million things. Time is money and I apply that even when it's my own recording setup at home.
I have yet to play a Neural that I found to be worth the money. If anything it made me realize just how much you can do with free sims and IRs that sound just as good, and often times better, than what Neural has. After EQing, post processing, and how a guitar tone is mixed, any amp could be damn near any amp so the new expensive thing really isn't even needed.
If you're just gear whoring for fun then sure, why not? If you're falling down that rabbit hole of buying the latest thing because you still aren't satisfied, the gear isn't the problem. I see way, way too many people doing the latter with Neural..many of which don't even know there are free options out there or they immediately write it off because it's not in shiny Neural packaging.
Ah well. As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.
With plugins you can at least try them all for free for yourself and find what works for you. I don't mind NeuralDSP plugins at all, I just don't have a need to buy them as I already have Line6 Helix Native or some ML Sound Lab plugins. If I had to start all over in that regard I'd probably just buy the NeuralDSP Petrucci plugin and consider it done, that does a lot of what I like.

Reaction score
With plugins you can at least try them all for free for yourself and find what works for you. I don't mind NeuralDSP plugins at all, I just don't have a need to buy them as I already have Line6 Helix Native or some ML Sound Lab plugins. If I had to start all over in that regard I'd probably just buy the NeuralDSP Petrucci plugin and consider it done, that does a lot of what I like.
I gotta say, that is the best one of the bunch. I hated all the other ones but the Petrucci one was actually pretty good. I wouldn't buy it, especially at that price, but I was surprised that I actually liked that one

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Plugins and IR packs feed directly into the "buy something out of boredom" a lot of people suffer from. You spend a little money every few months to have a new toy to play with because getting better with more practice is boring. Same as people who are constantly buying new guitars, amps or pedals, but plugins/IRs are generally cheaper. It's the chase of "that one thing that will elevate my tone to the next level" and it's largely a fool's errand.

Truer words were never spoken.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. For me the appeal of NDSP is the fact that the plugins just sound good. No need of IR browsing at all, and it's surprisingly easy to get a good tone out of them.

But all of them basically do the same thing, yet they refuse to release a unified interface so they can charge 150€ per "suite" over and over again while the older plugins never get updated (typical VST ampsim developer marketing strategy). You can literally just choose one and forget that the rest exist.

Buying software is pointless. It gets outdated, replaced and forgotten too fast. However a hardware modeller is always a safe bet that can also serve you live. A Helix Stomp is about four times the price of a NDSP plugin and has like 30 times the value in content.

Last edited:

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. For me the appeal of NDSP is the fact that the plugins just sound good. No need of IR browsing at all, and it's surprisingly easy to get a good tone out of them.

But all of them basically do the same thing, yet they refuse to release a unified interface so they can charge 150€ per "suite" over and over again while the older plugins never get updated (typical VST ampsim developer marketing strategy). You can literally just choose one and forget that the rest exist.

Buying software is pointless. It gets outdated, replaced and forgotten too fast. However a hardware modeller is always a safe bet that can also serve you live. A Helix Stomp is about four times the price of a NDSP plugin and has like 30 times the value in content.
Helix Native is also a viable option as it actually gets updated in tandem with the hw, plus it's dirt cheap if you own a Line6 Helix hardware unit. I've sold my Helix long ago but still use Helix Native.

I do prefer hardware modelers because they take a lot of guesswork out of it as they have the input and output systems designed to work with the. I am not overly pleased that my Fractal Axe-Fx 3 does not have e.g a dedicated headphone out and using it as an audio interface is a bit more cumbersome than a dedicated audio interface. Similarly it's a big hulking box that is not convenient for me to place anywhere atm (it's sideways under my desk in a rack case) But when you just want to play guitar, it's great.

Reaction score

I have a Helix floor unit and it never gets used. Once I stopped doing the band thing I just use Native. I'm honestly considering selling my Helix to GC or something because it's just sitting there being ignored. I forget I even have it until it's in the way of something else I'm looking for.

Antiproduct

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This could be the Devin Townsend sig plugin. He said that they work on that for a couple of years but they had problems with emulating his GP-100 sound. I would buy that immediately tbh

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Helix floor unit and it never gets used. Once I stopped doing the band thing I just use Native. I'm honestly considering selling my Helix to GC or something because it's just sitting there being ignored. I forget I even have it until it's in the way of something else I'm looking for.

Yes. You can sell it. Good luck doing that with plugins.

Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Amplitube :barf:

Amplitube's reputation precedes it nowadays, which is a shame - try the new Mesa Pack (Amplitube Mesa Boogie 2) with the Mark IIC+ and Mark V with some external IRs. They are epic. Not trolling! Two of the best Mark sims ever.