Angel Dust turns 30 years old

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Faith_no_more_angel_dust.jpg

What an amazing album, perhaps Faith No More's finest. And even then, all their albums are great and have something unique to offer.

There's also being a 30th anniversary documentary being put together.

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really kinda skiped this album versus the others. At the time it came out i was in a different vibe. And I haven’t really gone back to it other than a random listen here and there over the years.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, every anniversary these days reminds me that the early 90's wasn't five to seven years ago. It's very disconcerting. At least I'm just on the older side of still totally super-young and with it. The kids still say radical, right?

Honestly, when this one came out, I didn't like it at all. The Real Thing blew my socks off from the get-go, but this one really took time to click. But once it did, holy shit, what a killer album! Only just recently found a copy of the cassette at a yard sale, plays perfectly, so it joins a short list of albums I own in the trifecta (record, CD and cassette). And Be Aggressive is a standout for me as well!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I got a few of my musician friends hooked on that tape back in the early 90s. My wife had that same tape in the deck of her last car for years too.

I have decades of memories with Angel Dust as the soundtrack. I still remember buying it way back when at a Coconuts record store too!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Love, love, LOVE this album. Smaller And Smaller was one of the earliest songs I learned in guitar. Everything's Ruined might be my favorite FNM song. Jizzlober is just nuts. So many things I can say about this treasure of an album.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At an 8th grade dance I attended (I think the only dance I attended) in 1992 or 1993, none of the students were dancing with each other, or even mingling. We were able to convince the DJ to play "Midlife Crisis", like that was the song that was going to get the kids out on the gym "dancefloor". :rofl: The song made it about 40 seconds before the mass of confused looks from the "kids" convinced the DJ to cut it short, and switched it to something else.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I totally thought this was about Baltimore Hardcore band Angel Du$t and now I'm sad.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of the best albums ever!! Been listening to this pretty much since it released! Jizzlobber is STILL so damn heavy and wild!!! Had always planned on covering it. Also i forget the name but that sad accordion song is just mesmerizing

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When I read the thread title, my first thought was "but Angel Dust was an '80s band...that's more than 30 years ago". 🤦‍♂️

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FNM is one of the few bands who never released a bad album, IMO. They’re in my top 5 favorite bands, if not top 3.

I can’t remember the exact order I went in, but I know I was a fan of “Epic” and then “Last Cup Of Sorrow”. I knew nothing of what came between the two until I got the What Hits? VHS with all their videos. I remember thinking when “A Small Victory” came on that they must have changed vocalists because the guy singing didn’t sound like the guy singing “Epic” or “From Out Of Nowhere”, I was quite surprised to find it was Patton.

Then I lived and breathed Angel Dust for so damn long. I became a MASSIVE Patton fanatic and he’s easily one of my biggest vocal influences. I’ve still yet to see him or FNM and I really, REALLY fucking hope they do one good tour before calling it quits.

slapnutz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FNM was a bit before my time just slightly but I was lucky enough to see them live for the first time after they reunited. Fulfilled a life long dream and was as awesome (and trolling) as ever.
Still one of a favourite bands a discovered as a kid before Pantera.

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I like King For A Day, they definitely lost something when Jim Martin left. This one perfectly strikes the balance between the classic sound and their more experimental side, absolute classic.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favourite Faith No More album.
It was also the first FNM album I bought - not long after it came out. When I bought it I wasn't really sure what to expect and on first listen it was very unexpected. I was thinking it would be a bit more mainstream like a lot of the songs on 'The Real Thing' and so I didn't listen to it again for a long time. One day I decided to give it another spin, knowing this time what to expect. Absolutely loved it. To this day it's in my top 10 favourite albums of all time.