Am I the only one that hates that this Poplar Burl Burst trend is getting more prevalent?

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
I'm not into figured wood on production (sub 3k) instruments. Markup for the wood would be better used on more stringent qc and a solid finish. But when the figured wood gas hits it's never poplar burl, clear natural maple burl is tasty but the sheer amount of trash looking burl out there kinda makes me not a want burl at all.

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to post this absolutely epic PRS with a burled maple top (and back). It'll only cost you $16K.

bwfvghhp9m4jba5hp2ch.jpg

hbllbxhzccueitmyb7ma.jpg

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to post this absolutely epic PRS with a burled maple top (and back). It'll only cost you $16K.

bwfvghhp9m4jba5hp2ch.jpg

hbllbxhzccueitmyb7ma.jpg

one time a friend and I drank a bottle of that vincent van gogh "absinthe" you can get at the grocery store

what came out of me looked just like the top of this guitar

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Go to a big shop (Sweetwater, Thomann...) and count how many guitars have a burl top. You'll see that it's a tiny portion.
Target audience matters. Its SSO, therefore rather metal oriented.
Obviously classic electrical guitar shapes and colors dominate the market as they have for a few decades now and probably will for some more decades. But the metal oriented market is different. Here we have a quite diverse offering of burl guitars:

Schecter has C-6 and C-7 Pro series exclusively with burl poplar, their Reaper series is with burl poplar, Omen Elites come with burl poplar, theres a Custom Solo-II with a coffee table burl top, there are sereval Keith Merrow signature models with burl poplar and their Apocalypse lineup with the Red Reign finish can be argued to at least mimic this wood.
ESP has models with burl poplar in their LTD M, H and EC series and their E-II EC, M and SN series guitars.
Chapman hat ML1s with burl poplar, baritones with burl poplar, ML-3s with burl poplar and Rabbea signatures with burl poplar.
Solar guitars has S1.6 models with burl poplar.
Charvel has Pro-Mod models with burl poplar.
Ibanez has RGs in their prestige, premium and standard lineup with burl poplar, AZ premium with burl poplar, RGD axion label and standard with burl poplar, Q standard with burl poplar, SA standard with burl maple.
Jackson has Soloists with burl maple and Chris Broderick signature with burl poplar.

Thats not a complete list, neither of models nor manufacturers and all just current lineup as I won't start to dig up discontinued models. Is it the majority of offerings? No. But it is obviously trendy with the metal target market right now.

Last edited:

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All burl is not created equal. The stuff you see on Korean & Indonesian guitars is usually pretty underwhelming. There's a surprising amount of diversity in poplar burl slabs though, I like the really flamey varieties.

Italian poplar burl:
pb300008.jpg

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All burl is not created equal. The stuff you see on Korean & Indonesian guitars is usually pretty underwhelming. There's a surprising amount of diversity in poplar burl slabs though, I like the really flamey varieties.

Italian poplar burl:
pb300008.jpg

"I heard you like your stringed instruments NECK HEAVY."

It is a nice top, though.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Italian poplar burl:

"Burl"? That's just a weirdly flamed top.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I love that kind of figured wood...

...on furniture. I cannot stand it in guitars.

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Burl"? That's just a weirdly flamed top.

Nope, Italian poplar burl.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"I heard you like your stringed instruments NECK HEAVY."

It is a nice top, though.
What? That looks like it'd balance really well. There's almost no extra body behind the bridge and the upper horn goes to approximately the 10th fret.

Latest posts