after years of patience, my custom conversion neck has begun.....

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
i know that its probably not gonna really rock anybody's socks here but Im stoked. For years now, ive been burning money left and right trying to find out exactly what i like most to get some custom work done. When a friend saw how i couldnt find a baritone that checked all the boxes for me, he said that if i could find a standard scale (25.5") 6string Ibanez body that has a bolt-on neck, he would be willing to make me a custom neck that would convert the guitar to a 27" baritone. I started with the RG's flat body and found that while comfortable to play sitting, when standing the elbow carve digs into my forearm. I love playing my RG970XL when im sitting down, but when i stand up... unless i become a chest rocker, the forearm crave digs into my arm. The RGD body feels fantastic for me, but they never made a standard scale one, or one with a lopro. I knew that I loved the RGA420z because i played it in the store long ago, but wanted to try something higher quality. I didnt like the vines that came on the JCustom RGA8420 fretboard so I snatched up one of the red RGA6UCS models when they came to Axe Palace. I fell in freaking LOVE with it as soon as i touched it so the decision was made then and there.

Having this confirmation that I knew i could go all out on an RGA now because i loved them, I made the plan. Im gonna save up for the JCustom RGA and thats going to be my body i choose. I only thought that they were going to have slightly nicer tops than the Uppercut models but was completely surprised when i felt the RGA8420's extra ergonomically carved neck heel. Having the perfect body now, it was time to hash out the details of my conversion neck to my friend. After many many back and forths of all sorts of questions from me, ive nailed down all of the specs and am waiting for him to send me the invoice to drop the deposit. Should be ready around Nov-Dec ish but i told him he could take his time to help balance with his other projects he has going on for other customers. Im super stoked for ir and of course will come back and post pics when it arrives but until then, these are the specs i choose

This is a standard facing Ibanez headstock neck
-conversion neck extending its scale from 25.5" to 27"
-3-pc neck construction, maple / ebony / maple, roasted
-carbon fiber reinforcement rods
-premium truss rod upgrade
-richlite ebony fretboard with matching headstock veneer
-stainless steel frets
-Luminlay side dots
-white binding around fretboard and headstock
-no inlays
-17" radius
-satin clear finish

Now I can finally part with my RG970XL since the upgraded version will be taking its place in my lineup fairly soon. I'll also be putting the stock JCustom neck up for sale on the 'Verb with my KXK Sii7 and RGD4327, since i wont neck the neck anymore.

JCRGA.jpg

Attachments

• ffffff_1_1.jpg
    ffffff_1_1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20

Robslalaina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s awesome!

What do you mean by “elbow carve” though?
Same question. OP do you have a pic of yourself playing standing up? It's hard to understand how the forearm contour of the RG is uncomfortable for you. I'm super picky about forearm contours and the RG has one of the best since it extends past the bridge (toward the neck) more than on other guitars like Strats or Soloists, so my forearm actually connects with it when standing up even though I hang my guitars quite low. Or maybe you strap the guitar even lower so you basically end up missing the contour altogether and picking over the neck pu, in which case I could see why the RGA would be better!

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Same question. OP do you have a pic of yourself playing standing up? It's hard to understand how the forearm contour of the RG is uncomfortable for you. I'm super picky about forearm contours and the RG has one of the best since it extends past the bridge (toward the neck) more than on other guitars like Strats or Soloists, so my forearm actually connects with it when standing up even though I hang my guitars quite low. Or maybe you strap the guitar even lower so you basically end up missing the contour altogether and picking over the neck pu, in which case I could see why the RGA would be better!

the forearm contour on the body.... where your forearm rests, and the only angled piece of a standard RG body

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
When you say Ibanez never had an RGD with a LoPro, you mean 6 strings? I'm sure there are a few 7 string RGD models with a LoPro...

Yes, im only talking about 6 strings in this instance, and there was only 1 Prestige RGD6 made, the RGD2120Z. There are plenty of RGD 7 models with LoPros (RGDR4327, RGD3127, DCM100, to name a few)