Affordable but clear high gain pickups?

CptnBps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm on the hunt for something pretty cheap but tonally comparible to something like a BKP Juggernaut, does something like that even exist?
Obviously doesn't have to be identical, but something medium/high gain and pretty clear and defined without too much muddiness? Most budget pickups seem to go for more of a smooth PAF type sound

Thanks!

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Comparable to a Juggernaut will be hard to find. Depending on how affordable we're talking, you could try a Tesla Plasma-X1.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dimarzio D Activators or Titans. Unless we’re talking legit budget, then I don’t know. I’d consider DMZ or SD “affordable”, especially second hand.
Not anymore. People want almost new prices for Duncans, at least.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not anymore. People want almost new prices for Duncans, at least.
And the brand new prices range from $90 for DiMarzios all the way up to $120 for production Duncan pickups. And yeah, used prices are pretty crazy. You can get lucky and find some deals if you sit and wait, but most of the time they're not too great.

Related to OP, yeah I heard good things about Iron Gear in Europe.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it's the ol' pick two: good, cheap, fast

If you want good and cheap you'll have to be patient and persistent in the used market. Eventually you'll find someone offloading a pup they didn't gel with for cheap. My SD Distortion was $40 shipped but it was months between deciding I wanted to try one and finding a deal.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Dimarzio D Activators or Titans. Unless we’re talking legit budget, then I don’t know. I’d consider DMZ or SD “affordable”, especially second hand.
Dimarzio Fusion Edge pickups are made by Dimarzio for Ibanez and come stock on several Ibanez models. A lot of guys change out the pickups after buying, so there are plenty of Fusion Edge pickups out there in the wild.

They have a sound that lies right between the D'Activators and the Titans in my experience. The highs can get pretty aggressive, particularly with stainless steel frets & maple fretboard... not so much to start any tonewood debate, but my Ibanez RGD with SS frets, maple board, and Fusion Edge pickups is quite a bit more in djenty territory (like really resonant upper mid spike) than my RG with rosewood board and Titans.
This 1000X.
TL; DR, look for Fusion Edge pickups pulled from an Ibanez on eBay or Reverb.

That being said, they'll still set you back anywhere from $50 to $100.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Dimarzio Fusion Edge pickups are made by Dimarzio for Ibanez and come stock on several Ibanez models. A lot of guys change out the pickups after buying, so there are plenty of Fusion Edge pickups out there in the wild.

They have a sound that lies right between the D'Activators and the Titans in my experience. The highs can get pretty aggressive, particularly with stainless steel frets & maple fretboard... not so much to start any tonewood debate, but my Ibanez RGD with SS frets, maple board, and Fusion Edge pickups is quite a bit more in djenty territory (like really resonant upper mid spike) than my RG with rosewood board and Titans.

TL; DR, look for Fusion Edge pickups pulled from an Ibanez on eBay or Reverb.

That being said, they'll still set you back anywhere from $50 to $100.
Fusion Edges are definitely slept on. IME they're great jack of all trades pickups. People just like to write them off because they're "stock" pickups.