Adding a second noise suppressor

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jc986, Dec 6, 2018.

Add another or replace with G-String (or similar)

1. Add another

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Replace with G-String (or similar)

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I have an original ISP Decimator that I run in front of my amp, and it has served me well for about 15 years. I want to also run a gate in the loop, so I wanted to get some thoughts on whether it would be better to just add another gate in the loop, or replace my Decimator with a G-string or similar gate to run in 4 cable. I’m not so much concerned about the cost, just whether there is any benefit either way.

If it matters, my amps are a 6505 and a 6505+, and I run an overdrive and chorus in front of the amp, and an eq, delay, and reverb in the loop.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I would get a second dedicated Decimator for the loop, that way you have control over the threshold for both positions rather than one knob on the G-String :2c:

FILTHnFEAR, rexbinary, lewis and 3 others like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:agreed:

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Go a Fortin Zuul and use the key input - gates both the front and the FX loop off of the guitar signal, works a charm.

lewis likes this.
  5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

2 of the new mini decimates!

6. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Second vote for the Zuul with key input,, crazy good gate.

Two Decimator II works great also with the link function, i have this setup also on my band rig.

Both work great but the Zull is way more practical. No pedal up front, a two in one.

lewis likes this.
  7. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

The Zuul is a great gate but I disagree with this part. Dont you need a pedal to split the signal to use it before the amp and in the loop? So unless your board already has one (like a boss tuner) then that is something that you'll have to add just to use the Zuul in that way.

I'd still say get the Zuul or just get another decimator so that you have the two threshold controls.

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Stupid questions, but what would two noise gates achieve that one noise gate cannot achieve on its own?

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Different parts of the signal chain can impart different levels of noise. Using two gates can help tame that better.

If using two separate gates with their own threshold control you can work to keep your dynamics by staggering the gates.

For instance, at the start of your signal you put a gate to take care of your input signal or your pedal board. Then you put one in the loop to aid in any noise that might be coming from your amp.

Application is important. Some use multiple gates and turn up the threshold to kill overtones (see: djent), while some want more control over just how much noise can get through when working with certain gear and effects.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i literally gigged plenty of times with the:

Keeley > NS2 (also gating efx loop) > Maxon OD808 > ISP Decimator > Amp

two gates work great. Especially for super tight playing.

11. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

You have a point here. But regarding two gates, you need only one with the Zuul.

But one needs a tuner, might as well take advantage of that extra output!!! That is what i do and it works great.

12. MYGFH

MYGFH Music your GF hates

I have a Rocktron Hush mini tie wrapped to the back of my 6505+. Works great, highly recommend!

13. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

2 Decimators linked for me. Works perfectly and everything is super quiet.

14. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Same here. Since I went with two linked Decimator IIs I've never looked back at anything else.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  15. jc986

Thanks for the input. I went with a mini ISP Decimate and am running it in the loop but even at low settings it sucks a lot of tone and adds a bunch of fizz when playing. This is when in the loop of a 6505 or a 6505+. I tried putting the Decimate in front and my old Decimator in the loop, and the results are better but still tone suck in the loop and the new Decimate doesn’t perform nearly as well in front (cutting off clean notes prematurely etc). Thinking of returning the Decimate, selling my original Decimator and going with the ZUUL or the ISP G-String.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Im the only person who suggested the decimate, i feel awful lol. Ive not noticed any ill effects with mine personally.

On a separate note diesnt the gstring essentially do the same as the zuul because it goes first in your signal after guitar and tracks the clean gtr tone (then of course in the loop later)

17. jc986

No worries man. I feel like I must have gotten a bum Decimate because I can’t imagine it performing worse than the original Decimator and it doesn’t compete even by itself in front of the amp. Another reason I’m considering ditching both for a single pedal is to have less pedals on the board and use one less power out on the power supply. Plus, I think it would be beneficial to have the effects loop gate be tied into the key input and the way I understand it the ZUUL and the G-String would both accomplish this.

18. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Lately I’ve been putting my axe FX in the loop of my amps (or between preamps and a rack poweramp, which I guess is the same thing), and then splitting the signal up front, running it into the rear input of the axe FX, and using the gate block in the loop, linked to the clean signal. So much better than just a gate in the loop or just a gate upfront.

I would definitely just go with one gate, but one that has that ‘link’ function, like the Zuul, or decimator II (I’m pretty sure it can be used the same way as the link input on the Zuul?).

19. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’ve always had great success with an NS2 wired in the X pattern as the first pedal in the chain up front, and simultaneously the last pedal out of the effects loop; but being that you already have a pedal, you can get whatever you like the price of, as you will have 2 gates regardless. Is a “keyed” pedal more effective than 2 independent pedals? I don’t think so. The effects loop gate can be set differently than up front. If pedal space is a factor, then a 2 in 1 is certainly more convenient. Both setups work.

I’d get any used gate that was readily available for a great price (probably a 2 in 1 so I could A/B both pedals or just the 1) and use the rest of the money on some low noise preamp tubes. Eliminating excessive noise from the circuit before its amplified is the best noise elimination of all.

20. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

I've used the NS-2 with a 6505+ in the X setup as well with great results.

I'm very interested in the zuul.

I can see 3 different approaches to doing this tight gating.
    1. X-connection with a single noise gate (NS-2)
    2. 2 separate gates (one up front, one in the loop)
    3. 'Keyed type' gates in the loop being controlled by a signal from the guitar

I imagine the differences in these 3 different approaches would be very subtle, but I'd love to understand the differences! Anyone have experience trying the multiple approaches?