6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

What was the issue with the amp?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

tech said there were some cold solder joints (which I never saw) and that all of the tubes I installed tested way below what they should be at, so he put in some new power and preamp tubes. :shrug:

3. DudeManBrother

Shitty. That’s what I find too with most of the Boogies. I just touch up every damn joint I can find when they cut out like yours was. Also sucks about the new tubes being garbage. It would be nice if a decent modern tube tester was available in the $150 range. At least it’s sorted though

4. KnightBrolaire

mcp afwayu demo is up, either I'm going crazy or the tech didn't fix shit

5. DudeManBrother

Yeah it still shorting to ground somewhere. Something is barely brushing a ground path from the sound of it, or he missed the cracked solder joint. I’ve scratched my head on a few old Mesa’s trying to track this fault.

6. KnightBrolaire

I pulled apart the amp and saw some oxidizing connections on the input jack and a few other places but no cold or cracked solder joints..The tech gave me a 3 month warranty if I had any issues, so I might have to drop it off with him again :mad:

7. DudeManBrother

Yeah I refloat all of those. I’ve fixed most of them that way. I’ve never actually seen the cracks, but once I go through and float every browned spot, and the main ground that runs across the pots, it usually fixes the issue. Good thing it’s under warranty though. Let him sort it out haha

8. KnightBrolaire

I'm kind of pissed that he had the fucking amp for a month and didn't fix the main issue. It's only on the high gain channels which makes me think it's something to do with the pots or something.

9. DudeManBrother

Shitty. I bet it sat untouched for the whole month, and he finally pulled it out and looked at it for 1 hour.

I had a 50 cal once that cut the lead channel out completely. The clean worked perfectly, but when you pulled the pot for lead channel nothing would happen. I ended up touching up a bunch of solder joints, did a cap job, and replaced a few resistors that were getting overheated from being on the board, still didn’t fix it. Touched up the ground that runs across the pots and bam, worked like a champ. Same thing with a DC5; I hit that ground first and it fixed it.

It’s obviously not always the fix, but finding reliable schematics with accurate values for those old Boogies is difficult, so the issues can be a bitch to trace. And its stupid how tough those boards can be to get out haha.

10. KnightBrolaire

I just tested the amp in a different outlet to see if the voltage was a problem (which it shouldn't be, I used that outlet for years without any issues). I also tested another guitar through it and it's still getting the volume fade. Back to the fuckin tech it goes, he better fix this shit. :pissed:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. matrx10503

matrx10503 New Member

Hello, OP (great thread) and all.
    Quick face value question, which Entwistle pickup is "closest" to SD Blackouts.
    The Dark Star ND or HDN?

12. KnightBrolaire

I haven't tried the dark star, and my experience with blackouts is pretty limited. Personally from what little I've played with the original blackouts, they sound absolutely atrocious. Very high output with terrible clarity. They sounded like mud city.
    The HDN is nothing like that, besides the high output portion. It has very good clarity and is relatively versatile sounding. The cleans aren't amazing but they're more than serviceable.

13. matrx10503

matrx10503 New Member

Without giving a full page of backstory of why I'm looking for a Blackout alternative...

This was my basic standard of judgement of why I was leaning toward the Blackout sound. When listened in sequence.
    Overall Custom 5 is my most favorite, but I don't need another "all around" pickup. I have a similar pickup in my Ibanez, which is my all around/all genre guitar.
    I don't care for particularly for cleans, as I'm turning my Jackson into a full shred/metal guitar so it will play light leads/rhythm mostly.

I look at the Blackouts like this. It is built off the foundation of the most famous metal active, EMG 81. But has a different and a more modern focus sound (more compressed, articulate, powerful but not as raw analog sterile unhinged as EMGs.)

I figure the HDM will give me most of my desires like the Blackouts but added sounds benefits. powerful rhythm, note articulate, can go low enough and stay tight enough, chuggy enough to play modern, proggy melodic metal, and thrash-esque. And regular Sabbath like heavy metal stuff.

14. KnightBrolaire

In that case, I'd still grab the HDN. Hell, grab an HDN and a darkstar, they're cheap pickups but entwistle makes pickups that punch far above their pricepoint imo. Worst case you're only out 30$ or so.

15. KnightBrolaire

16. SpherE22

SpherE22 SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire what would you recommend for 7 string slanted pickups in a custom build? I reeeeeallly want the alpha omega's but duncan can't make them slanted. They're perfect for me aside wanting for a touch more output on the bridge.

I'm looking at the nailbomb as my alternative because they seem to have similar output and eq curves from their websites. Hate fluences and active pups. Makes looking for slanted pickups alot harder...

What would you recommend as a lover of the A/O's yourself?

17. KnightBrolaire

nailbomb is nothing like the ao set in terms of the midrange. The Omega is more growly/snarly, the nailbomb is more vocal/almost cocked wah esque instead of snarly. The low end of the nailbomb is pretty substantial compared to the omega ime, but the ceramic version would likely mitigate that...
    If you want to stick with BKP then I'd recommend the black dog or impulse. The black dog has a snarly midrange and it's lower output, which gives it better cleans/split sounds. It still sounds very aggressive through a high gain amp, so don't let the output fool you. I find with 7+ strings that lower-medium output pickups tend to deliver the best results for across the board clarity. The only quibble I have with the black dog is the low end is a bit less responsive than I normally like.
    If you really want a higher output pickup then maybe go with the impulse set. It has a more growly midrange with a touch of snarl (not to the extent of the black dog though) and does a number of tones well (from modern metal/death metal to blues/jazz if need be). They're fantastic pickups imo.

6 string vid of black dog:
    6 string vid of impulses:
    6 string nailbomb vid:
    8 string clips of black dog:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bgf0cqqoevxi46/BlkDogMishmash.mp3?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kile6q5nypv7k7m/Black Dog Medley.mp3?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1fw42rqz69lgy7/AABiCZfo-RrGWMThJVrXPaQwa?dl=0

Email the guys at bkp to see what they think as well, but I feel like the nailbomb is not what you want for that snarl/growl in the midrange.

If you want the absolute closest you can get, get an overwound pegasus with a ceramic magnets/hex bolts. That would put you super close to the sound of the omega. Hell, even just a ceramic pegasus is pretty close. Here's an 8 string comparison test of the pegasus/ceramic pegasus/omega I did:
    http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ceramic-pegasus-vs-omega-comparison.322708/

If none of those options interest you, I can recommend some other brands/pickups.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Miek likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

Tentative order of pickups I'm going to demo. All demos henceforth will have DIs (guitar straight into interface/DAW) using standardized riffs to make comparison easier.
    MCP Ceramic Dragon Suit bridge
    Oil City Blackbird b
    Lundgren Black Heaven set
    Dominger Rider b
    Rautia Ratbucker b
    Elysian Trident I set
    BL USA L500xl b
    Warman Quadrail b
    Guitarmory Atlas set
    Blades Sorcerer b
    Mojotone Hornet b/Tomahawk n
    GFS Power Rails bridge
    Kent Armstrong Grinder b
    Duncan Alpha/Omega set
    Duncan Alt 8 b
    Duncan Black Winter/Nuclear Winter/Skadi (mag variations of blk winter) b
    Duncan Distortion b
    BKP Cold Sweat set
    BKP Miracle Man b
    BKP Rebel Yell b
    BKP True grit b
    BKP Brute Force b
    Entwistle Dark Star ND set
    Balaguer Feral/Evergreen set
    Dunable Grizzly set

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Avedas and Bearitone like this.
  19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Is motor city pickups still winding? They have no dealers anymore it seems? Are they only direct order now

20. KnightBrolaire

he's still making pickups, but it's direct order through his website now. that's how I got my afwayu. I got the dragon suit off reverb