5150 Style Preamp on a budget

Bentaycanada

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used my old Sonic Stomp tonight with a Metal Muff and it is pretty awesome, but I can imagine the Amptweaker kills it dead.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I had really good Thai food tonight, but my wife had a much better calzone.

Bentaycanada

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Metal Muff and Amptweaker.

I wasn’t referring to that, I was referring to the Sonic Stomp and the new Amptweaker Depth/Presence control pedal.

The latter made me dig out the BBE and I think the Amptweaker will kill it, as I have his Defizzerator and it’s amazing.

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
NPD: Got my Tight Metal Pro today. First impressions: it rules.

No flub present, can do tight metal (duh), to scooped death metal tones with ease. So far I've found it sounds best with the EQ at noon with maybe a slight mid bump, gain cranked, and the tight either off or around 9 o'clock. This is all with the TMP as a preamp into a solid state power amp.

The EQ is crazy responsive and I'm gonna need to mess with a bit to get it perfectly dialed in. I really love how the thrash switch works as well. Any EQ tips from the TMP owners out there?

The only negative I can think of is that to my surprise the gain is a little lacking without the boost engaged, even with the high gain switch on. Granted, I've only tried it with medium output passives, but I figured there'd be gobs of saturation on tap. I'm definitely glad I got the Pro version because otherwise I probably would have felt the need to run it with a boost. The built in boost works great though and gives me all the gain I need around 1 or 2 o'clock.

The TMP has opened my eyes a bit about how good a pedal can sound. Now I'm eyeballing an S&k VHD to complement it thanks to Gmork's videos.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
NPD: Got my Tight Metal Pro today. First impressions: it rules.

No flub present, can do tight metal (duh), to scooped death metal tones with ease. So far I've found it sounds best with the EQ at noon with maybe a slight mid bump, gain cranked, and the tight either off or around 9 o'clock. This is all with the TMP as a preamp into a solid state power amp.

The EQ is crazy responsive and I'm gonna need to mess with a bit to get it perfectly dialed in. I really love how the thrash switch works as well. Any EQ tips from the TMP owners out there?

The only negative I can think of is that to my surprise the gain is a little lacking without the boost engaged, even with the high gain switch on. Granted, I've only tried it with medium output passives, but I figured there'd be gobs of saturation on tap. I'm definitely glad I got the Pro version because otherwise I probably would have felt the need to run it with a boost. The built in boost works great though and gives me all the gain I need around 1 or 2 o'clock.

The TMP has opened my eyes a bit about how good a pedal can sound. Now I'm eyeballing an S&k VHD to complement it thanks to Gmork's videos.

Wait until you try the Megalith Delta and the Custom Audio Art Fortis High Drive.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait until you try the Megalith Delta and the Custom Audio Art Fortis High Drive.

God damnit more preamp pedal GAS. I thought I was going to get an S&K VHD and just be done!

Glad you mentioned the Megalith Delta. Checked out some demos and now I'm itching to get one on my board

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Even with my 7 string tuned to G I didn't feel like I needed a boost. And it had passive Agile pickups.

I ran mine with several pedals in front (delay, modulations, Whammy, wah, and a tuner) and ran that straight into a TN torpedo live with power amp sims activated. Even with all those pedals contesting the signal I still never really got mud.

Kind of off topic, but how did you find the power amp models in the torpedo? Have you compared it to a tube power amp?

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Useless update: after a week of messing with the TMP I'm blown away. Without the boost it has a lot of heft and there's just barely enough gain there for my taste. When not using the boost I think it benefits from the tight being turned up to noonish. With the boost activated I've rolled the boost gain back a lot to around 9-11 o'clock. This helps it retain clarity while adding the touch more saturation I'm looking for.

The thing I've been surprised the most with is the EQ on the pedal. It feels like Brown set up each parameter to adjust different parts of the mids rather than traditional bass, mids, and treble. For example, cranking up the low doesn't really add a lot of low end heft or thump. Instead, it seems to thicken up the lower mids.

I saw a comment he made here about how the high on the TMP works the same as the tone knob on the original Tight Metal. The high knob to my ears adjusts the upper mids and the lower treble more so than just the higher frequencies like other amps/pedals.

At first I thought the EQ response was weird, but it allows for a lot of customizing of the most important part of your sound. It also responds a lot like the 5150 in that adjusting one knob affects how the other settings react, classic passive EQ stuff.

I can see why people would want to add a resonance/presence adjustment as it could lack a bit of low end depending what you run it through. To me, it's perfect and would cut through a mix wonderfully, but I might get a depth finder for the hell of it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the mid scoop button. I find that it doesn't gut the mids enough to give me that early Dying Fetus sound I can get from my Peavey Supreme 160. Turning down the mids a ton takes away too much of the sound leaving it sounding empty, but I think an EQ pedal in the loop would get me that sound easily.

TLDR - the Tight Metal Pro is incredible.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It feels like Brown set up each parameter to adjust different parts of the mids rather than traditional bass, mids, and treble.

I noticed the same thing! That’s why i originally sold off my TMP. The presence/depth mod helps you control the lower and higher ends of the spectrum

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Sounds like the Pro with the depth/presence would have a ton of eq control. As appetising as that is, I wonder if the regular Tight Metal with a graphic eq would be just as flexible.

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds like the Pro with the depth/presence would have a ton of eq control. As appetising as that is, I wonder if the regular Tight Metal with a graphic eq would be just as flexible.
I don't know if a graphic EQ would give you the same effect as the resonance/presence controls, unless the frequencies were the same, but it would give you a lot of tone shaping options.

If you don't mind using a boost and EQ pedal, I'd say there's no reason to not get the original TM or the Jr aside from the extra loops. I wouldn't be completely happy with the Tight Metal unless I was boosting it. The Pro version appealed to me because it had everything I needed in one pedal. Simplicity was the goal.

Bled4bathor1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hm. So your signal chain is just guitar>P1 (being sure to use the preamp output in the center) > rocktron> Cabinet?

I would probably hate that chain too. Your poweramp isn’t going to sound up to snuff compared to a 6505 poweramp. Even the latest Rocktron Mainline doesnt come close imho. And then with no OD or gate i see why you aren’t liking your current tone

My apologies for recommending the AMT :( Im used to assuming everyone has a boost and a gate these days. For an all-in-one solution the tightmetal would definitely be a better choice.

I generally don’t like recommending products i haven’t tried but, the new Horizon Apex might suit your needs. The price is steep but, it does have a built in gate and boost.
And it also has a very LOW OUTPUT.making it a no-go.tet th Chinese Ceres 3chanbel preamp fir $100 and call it a day.this thing Is a beast.badass.period.i love china pedals clones.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
And it also has a very LOW OUTPUT.making it a no-go.tet th Chinese Ceres 3chanbel preamp fir $100 and call it a day.this thing Is a beast.badass.period.i love china pedals clones.

thread_necromancy_2-me.jpg