1990s 'Big Four' bands v2? Share your thoughts!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Probably Nirvana, Pantera, and well there's no escaping Metallica and Megadeth. The 90es were Megadeth's best decade.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
A couple months ago I went on a work trip with a guy who'd never heard of Creed.

savingprivateryan-ww2.gif
I once worked with a guy, in a music company warehouse, who had never heard of B.B. King.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
This really depends on the genre we're talking about.

Thrash?
Sorry to put a damper on ya, but it would be the same 4 from the 80's, and maybe sub one for Pantera somewhere. Testament in the 90's were kind of eh to me personally. Anthrax are great but they sound the most different to me from the lot, so I guess it would be (in no particular order) Metallica, Megadave, Slayer, and Pantera.

Death metal?
It's hard for me to say because I was so young at this point that I didn't know enough about the genre at that point. My opinion though would probably be something like Death, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Suffocation. This one for me is hard to narrow down since there's so many great albums and bands back then.

Rock music?
Probably Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Bush, and/or some other generic radio friendly rock band ala The Offspring or something (I love the Offspring to death, no hate here)

I don't really know how to answer this question because it's so broad. I think we also saw the rise of bands like Blink 182 and stuff as well and they took over for a bit of time there as well.

Abominorg the Grotesque

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always thought Grunge had a very obvious Big Four in Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Other than those four bands people honestly hardly ever talk about any other grunge bands, maybe Melvins and Mudhoney, but like that's it.

Reactions: fps

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
in the 90s i didn't listen to much of the music, but if i had to make a list from what seemed popular heavy-wise, id say...

pantera
creed
korn
linkin park

probably interchange the last 2 bands godsmack, white zombie, disturbed which were popular back then.

as far as 80s thrash 'next four' to me are...

testament
exodus
death angel
sod/mod

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I always thought Grunge had a very obvious Big Four in Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Other than those four bands people honestly hardly ever talk about any other grunge bands, maybe Melvins and Mudhoney, but like that's it.

still not sure how i would categorize their music, but some people would include smashing pumpkins in that list...

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
90's for me was a very different musical journey. Metal wise I pretty much only listened to Metallica. Megadeath, Anthrax, and Slayer were all bands that to this day I've never really liked. So for me Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, and Creed were the bands that I really paid attention to. Honorable mention to 311.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
in the 90s i didn't listen to much of the music, but if i had to make a list from what seemed popular heavy-wise, id say...

pantera
creed
korn
linkin park

probably interchange the last 2 bands godsmack, white zombie, disturbed which were popular back then.

as far as 80s thrash 'next four' to me are...

testament
exodus
death angel
sod/mod
Godsmack really only had 1 album in the 90's. Disturbed's first was 2000 same with Linkin Park. So if you were making a list of biggest bands in the 2000's those 3 would definitely make my the list. For me the guitar tones on Godsmack's album Faceless are the best high gain rhythm tones ever recorded.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Nope. I have friends who don’t even listen to heavy-metal and they could tell me who the big foor of thrash are but they’ve never heard of those other bands so there is no comparison

Your friends never heard of Korn?! Weird.

A couple months ago I went on a work trip with a guy who'd never heard of Creed.

I once worked with a guy, in a music company warehouse, who had never heard of B.B. King.

sadly i work with a large group of people who don't know who the strapping young lads are!

but i digress...

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Godsmack really only had 1 album in the 90's. Disturbed's first was 2000 same with Linkin Park. So if you were making a list of biggest bands in the 2000's those 3 would definitely make my the list. For me the guitar tones on Godsmack's album Faceless are the best high gain rhythm tones ever recorded.
your right

getting my time lines mixed up lol. seeing linkin park, limp biscuit and deaftones open for metallica in texas stadium threw me off...

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
your right

getting my time lines mixed up lol. seeing linkin park, limp biscuit and deaftones open for metallica in texas stadium threw me off...
I bet that was one hell of a show!

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Death
Blind Guardian
Dream Theater

Not sure who else to add. It gotta cover the whole 90s (so not just 1-2 albums) and be fairly significant. My Dying Bride is the only band that springs to mind. Opeth is largerly 2000s, King Diamond has to cover the late 80s too, Cradle of Filth is kinda between 90s and 00s, CoB is late 90s, Rhapsody is late 90s. Dang, I think I got some weird interpretation of the topic. It gotta be a band that's big, had an impact, released a bunch of stuff all throughout 90s, and didn't suddenly change into weird goth electronic stuff.