1990s 'Big Four' bands v2? Share your thoughts!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Some friends. And I never mentioned Korn specifically but there were lots of very questionable bands on that list that I don't feel qualify as a "big four" redux. I can only see Pantera but no other band that fits within that genre. The big four were all thrash...not just popular metal. RATM was huge but like someone said their metal bona fides are questionable and they certainly don't belong on a list with Pantera because their music is not related.
If Alice in Chains is metal, then Rage Against the Machine is metal. :2c: If not, then I'm fine with that.

But I guess that's kind of my original point in my first post - the big four of 90's metal would probably have to be Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, and then "pick one band no one remembers anymore." :shrug:

Otherwise, you have your big four of thrash: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax (which, as much as I like Anthrax, I think people saying that they were nowhere near as big as the other three have a point). Then maybe do a big four of Nümetal: Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Slipknot. Or your big four of 90's DM or big four of alternative metal, or whatever, which I won't even speculate, since they are probably more accurately a big one and another three that were nowhere near as big but pretty cool. :lol:

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most of the bands listed I wouldn't consider "big" in comparison to the Big Four. If you're wanting to throw in solid metal bands that kept things going in the 90s I would say Testament, Pantera, White Zombie (had a few massive MTV and radio hits). Anyone else I can think of that was popular in the states back then was in a new subgenre of metal like Korn, Deftones, etc.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Metallica/Megadeth are still valid in the first half of the decade, they definitely fall off towards 2000's; I don't think anyone cared for Re-Load and as much as I love S&M it's not necessarily NEW material, just re-worked for the orchestra but Black Album & Load are notable releases. Some of my favorite Megadeth albums are actually from right after 2000, like The World Needs a Hero, but Countdown to Extinction is also early 90s and that's some solid shit right there too.

Slayer probably had the biggest change in the 90s which IIRC is when they actually had their "slower" albums which started with South of Heaven right before the 90s, between Seasons in the Abyss and I think Divine Intervention was a bit slower too.

I think if anyone took Anthrax's spot in the Big 4, it'd be Testament since Souls of Black came out in '90, followed up by the Ritual in '92, then three more releases that other people seem to love but I don't get (Low/Demonic/The Gathering).

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're counting AiC, what about RATM? I don't think "metal" when I hear them, but, let's face it, a lot of people think of them as being "metal." They were definitely hugely influential, and were quite popular during their heyday, which was definitely solidly in the 1990's.
Not sure about RATM, but AiC had more in common with Sabbath than they did with thier peers, especially Dirt era AiC.

Most of the bands listed I wouldn't consider "big" in comparison to the Big Four. If you're wanting to throw in solid metal bands that kept things going in the 90s I would say Testament, Pantera, White Zombie (had a few massive MTV and radio hits). Anyone else I can think of that was popular in the states back then was in a new subgenre of metal like Korn, Deftones, etc.
I didn’t read the OP to mean the popularity of the band:

My question is, which 4 OTHER bands would you say are the spiritual successor to them for a 'Big Four' of the 1990s so to speak? 4 bands that kept metal going during the days of grunge, etc...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd throw in Offspring for Rancid and sub in No Doubt for Bosstones
The Offspring were huge in the 90's. Whenever whichever wave of ska that was hit, it hit big, too. I remember everyone listening to ska and it seemed like No Doubt was probably the first one that got the attention of most of the people I knew at the time. Then, one day, someone flipped a switch, and no one cared about ska anymore.

Also Spacehog had that one song that was absolutely everywhere, and I thought they were going to be like the next Pink Floyd, and then they just disappeared.

There was a lot of that in the 90's. People had always talked about 80's one hit wonders, but the 90's was chocked full of bands that blew up huge and then were just forgotten.

I loved the 90's. I was a youth for most of it, which biases me heavily, but it seemed like at least new music was usually trying something new. Soundgarden was grunge, but they definitely sounded super distinct from other grunge bands. You had your ska bands, but there was also that semi-related new big band swing thing with Squirrel Nut Zippers and stuff, which was kind of neat. Metal was going deeper into being metally. Death was getting really cerebral all of the sudden. Everyone hates nümetal now, but it was something new and different for sure at the time. Nine Inch Nails sounded like stuff that existed before, but only kind of. Type O Negative was unmistakable. Marilyn Manson mixing metal and industrial and Alice Cooper. 311 still sounds distinctive for whatever the hell they were. There were tons of local bands that tried to emulate them, but they were trailblazers. There were a lot of bands doing pretty simple song structures with cool grooves, like Local H and Static X and probably a third band that is a short word with a letter after it. I guess a lot of the artists in these bands ended up being creeps, but the music was cool at the time, and I didn't know any better.

By the 2000's, new bands started all sounding same-ish to me. Most new music was coming from 80's and 90's bands. There were still plenty of 2000's bands that I really liked, but IDK, overall, music seemed to have less novelty to it. For example, listen to 2000's Korn versus 1990's Korn. They were more edgy and experimental early on, and eventually sort of fell into a formula. Still Korn, but less variety. Also, a lot of the big band debuts in the 1990's were bands that came out of the blue. A lot of the most hyped up 2000's band debuts were just remixes of older bands. Like Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, Damageplan, Alterbridge, Five Finger Death Punch, Hellyeah, etc. Even 90's remix bands mostly formed late enough that they weren't really popular until the 2000's - like Dream Evil or A Perfect Circle...

But I rant...

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To this day I still have no clue how Anthrax are one of the big 4 as I've NEVER met a single person who has brought them up in conversation saying they're a big fan, or wearing a shirt of theirs, etc...

Only thing of their catalog I give a shit about is their "Bring the Noize" remix they did with Public Enemy, and that's because it was in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
IMO, they had a much better sound with John Bush on vocals. Never was a Joey fan. Their best album by far, again, IMO, was Sound of White Noise.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always read about "The big four" as meaning the big four of thrash. Not the big four of metal, or wider eighties or nineties guitar music. So to me the "spiritual successors" would mean later thrash (or influenced by thash) bands. I don't understand it being applied to wide popularity, when it originally meant the biggest four bands of a very narrow genre.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
Friends, this ^

It's not the big four of metal, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth are the big four of trash.

Otherwise you'd have to start talking about bands like Iron Maiden who have probably sold as many albums as all of those four combined.

As for a second big four of trash, OP's suggestions are not bad at all imo, I'd definitely put Pantera and Sepultura there for starters. Machine Head is also a good shout.. maybe Testament makes it in? Does Venom count as trash? Exodus?

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure about RATM, but AiC had more in common with Sabbath than they did with thier peers, especially Dirt era AiC.

I didn’t read the OP to mean the popularity of the band:
Yeah, now that I re-read it, I must not have caught the edits. When I see the word "big" applied as an adjective to a band, to me, it implies popularity at a certain time.

Alex79

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To this day I still have no clue how Anthrax are one of the big 4 as I've NEVER met a single person who has brought them up in conversation saying they're a big fan, or wearing a shirt of theirs, etc...

Only thing of their catalog I give a shit about is their "Bring the Noize" remix they did with Public Enemy, and that's because it was in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

I think the term came from touring in the 80s, we’re originally Testament, then Anthrax was part of the package. Anthrax stuck.

It’s also totally America-centric, which is why bands like Kreator never get mentioned.

Honestly, it’s primarily a marketing slogan/label nowadays.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
... no love for OVERKILL? Yeah, they're rooted in the 80s, but they do carry the metal/thrash flame over the years on pair with Testament.

... on a more European side of metal, Therion, Tiamat and Anathema (all rooted in the 90s) were some of my favorites.

... and PRIMUS? not exactly metal, but very close...

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just of the 90's? What about /Nickleback/3DoorsDown/Default/Fuel? are they all the same band as Creed? :lol:

That one Fuel song is stuck in my head every day, IN MY HEAD, IN MY HEAD AGAAAAIIIIIGNGNNSGNSGGNGNGNG

I'll be damned if it's not a banger, gotta re-listen 1-2 times a year to ground what remains of my sanity