You think eminence lil' texas' would pair well with swamp thangs?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gmork, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive got a pair of swamps in a 2x12 that i love and been thinking of putting them in a 4x12 paired with something with a bit more mids/presence .
    Originally was gonna go with 2 govnors but started thinking maybe the neo lil texas' might work well and take some weight off .But maybe they would only add a harsh fizziness over top.
    Thoughts?

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

They really aren’t too harsh on the top end once they break in after a few hours of play. I just stuck some of the neo tonkerlite’s in my 4x12 to go with the lil texas pair. A bit darker sounding speaker with a lower midrange bark. The combo of the 2 is sounding awesome, and it should only get better once these tonkers break in a little.
    I think the Texas should compliment the swamps nicely, as I remember them being a slightly darker and aggressive voice as well.

3. Headache

Headache SS.org Regular

I had a randall cab loaded with swamp thangs and Texas, it was brutal and they complimented each other well. They were not too bright, and they were very tight.

IGC likes this.
  4. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Hearing that the texas' are darker makes me think they are not what i want. The swamps are quite dark so i wanted somethig somewhat brighter to bring out the presence .
    I actually ended up ordering a pair of govnors to go with the swamps. Hopefully have em in a week or so. Very excited.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Headache likes this.
  5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

If both the eminence tonkerlites AND lil texas are darker lowmid speakers then eminence should make something with some tope d bite to compliment them .
    Aneo-swamp would besuper cool too!

6. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

It's been a long time, but I had two 2x12 cabs... had a Swamp Thang in each, and a Governor in one and a Wizard in the other... the top and mids on the Governor really complimented the ST very well... the Wizard was much brighter, but I loved the ST/Gov mix...

For what it's worth, I only have Alnico Creams now!!!! :)

Gmork likes this.
  7. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

It's been a long time, but I had two 2x12 cabs... had a Swamp Thang in each, and a Governor in one and a Wizard in the other... the top and mids on the Governor really complimented the ST very well... the Wizard was much brighter, but I loved the ST/Gov mix...

For what it's worth, I only have Alnico Creams now!!!! :)

Gmork likes this.
  8. Headache

Headache SS.org Regular

I actually built that cabinet just for drop c chugga chugga riffage. It did that very well, not very good at high squealing solos, so as my tastes changed I replaced all those speakers.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

A neo swamp would be awesome! But the Lil Texas is brighter than the Tonkerlite. My earlier post was maybe a little confusing. I was trying to say that the Tonkerlite has a lower mid/darker sound somewhat like the swamp Thang; and pairs well with the Texas’ American voice. It’s got presence without being harsh. I think the Tonkerlite has a bit more fizzy top end than either the swamp or lil Texas. The combo of both Eminence Neos is cool though, and much lighter than the original GT75’s I used to lug around in that 1960a.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Swamp Thangs + Governors are brutal AF.