Ye Olde Metalheads Thread (post up if your 30 yrs +)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by M3CHK1LLA, Sep 16, 2013.

1. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

To be fair, though, there were also loads of stores selling physical records.

I grew up in a fairly crap town but even we had a small record store. Bought the cassette that changed my life (Master of Puppets) there in 1986 as was browsing and the cover jumped out at me.

Doesn't work like that now.

Admittedly you're less likely to buy an absolute stinker, but you don't get the excitement of finding new stuff via trading tapes.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

ahh...stryper! loved "yellow and black attack" as well as "soldiers under command". was fortunate to see them back in the 80's and a few years ago.

michael sweet is a great singer, but i was unaware of how well he could play leads. i just always assumed oz fox took care of all that until i saw them live.

3. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Another older Gentleman to join the club

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  4. M3CHK1LLA

welcome to the club...hopefully not the hair club for men lol

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

^ That's how I discovered Surfing with the Alien lol... I was a huge comic book nerd and had no idea how much that cassette was going to cost me down the road in this terribly expensive hobby!!! :lol:

Edika and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  6. M3CHK1LLA

speaking of cassettes...i recently found a bunch of mine from when i was a kid lol

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Please tell me none were mixtapes for particular emotional-states or traumatic-emotional-events.

feraledge likes this.
  8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Ah I have a few original cassetes! One is Spiritual Healing by Death. Record players and a good sound system was so expensive when I was a child. I had friends with record players that would record me tapes and I'd listen them to the boom box type of cassete player with detachable speakers. That piece of equipment served us well up until it just couldn't play anymore.

Metallica was a revelation for me but I went to rock pop straight into Thrash so I feel I've missed a lot of the morw classic rock and NWOBHM stuff. I'm starting to mellow out just a bit and rediscover some of the older stuff but my brain is so expectant of distorted guitars with a pounding rhythm section that it's just asking for it's fix.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  9. M3CHK1LLA

lol...not me, but i know what you mean. it was a thing or many kids back then.

all mine was straight up metal. me and my buddies did have one though we used when working out lol

was fortunate to grow into it. started around '83-84 with "friday night videos"

the first time we go to see any hard rock/heavy metal in out house hold except when kiss was tv a few years before