Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by SirToastalot, Jun 13, 2017.

1. SirToastalot

SirToastalot Needs a better rig..

There seems to be a nice bunch of Xeno-Series enthusiasts on this forum. I've gone ahead and started a new thread for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, instead of bumping the other older discussions in order to avoid confusion regarding the previous titles.
    This new game is being described as a direct sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii & N3DS).

Here's the new trailer from E3 2017:

Treehouse gameplay demo from E3 2017 (if you have a spare 40 minutes):

Multiple Blade types for each Driver!
    Bunnits, Gogols, Tirkin and a playable Heropon return!
    ACE and Yasunori Mitsuda are back on soundtrack duties!

The discussion on Neogaf is going thermonuclear over the direction of character designs - far too Chibi!, busts are too big!, Tales of Xenoblade! etc. - but the gameplay video seems to be winning over the masses. :argue:

The reveal trailer from January 2017:

I haven't caved in and purchased a Switch just yet, but this might be the killer app to warrant an investment...

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The first Xenoblade was one of my favorite games of it's time, up to the point I hijacked my brother in law's Wii to play it. I sort of skipped Xicles X on Wii U, but I do plan on playing it and since my brother in law's Wii U is currently gathering dust...

I'm looking forward for Mitsuda to add more musical content. I loved the original OST dearly (and I loved X too) but let's face it, ACE(+) and Manami Kiyota carried the music, though Shimomura's stuff was no slouch either. Basically, more than just the ending song please and thank you.

Still uming and arring on getting a Switch (or any next gen console frankly), but I'll get to this eventually, because I just can't get enough of Japanese styled completionist nightmare games. :lol:

3. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Strongly disagree. Shimomura didn't contribute much (11 or 12 tracks iirc?), but her contributions are consistently strong. Title theme, Unfinished Battle, and Colony 9 (Night) are personal favorites that come to mind, and Shulk and Fiora is a track that I've long held is underappreciated for the way it incorporates several prior motifs to tie the story together and subtly move it forward. Kiyota is credited with nearly 5x as many tracks, but lacks a proportional quantity of top-notch tracks (off the top of my head I'd say her best tracks are probably Darkness of the Heart, Awakening of the Giant, and Zanza? which imo doesn't match the quality of the three Shimomura tracks I listed, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some Kiyota tracks as well) and is also responsible for a number of my least favorite tracks.

ACE+ had quite a few solid contributions, no argument there. Glad to see all three of them returning (with Hiramatsu credited separately this time).

For those who haven't heard them yet, four tracks from the OST are currently uploaded to the Nintendo page for XBC2. Vid with all four here:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Maybe I was going for the quantity factor when I posted that or blindsided by wanting more Mitsuda on the next instalment, or both, you decide, but you're right regarding Shimomura's tracks. Quality wise, they're all good, and she wins disc 1 by the first 3 tracks alone.

Having said that, Kiyota had a fair share of her own great tracks in addition to what you mentioned: To One's Own Future, Satorl Marsh, Eruyt Sea and Into The Deadlands themes. Strong, but admittedly yes not as strong as Shimomura's. I guess maybe I've heard them way too much from constant grinding is why I'm more familiar with them better, while Shimomura's tracks are mostly event based. Bloody Japanese style sidequests, they pile on so damn many of them the main plot suddenly loses it's urgency.

InfinityCollision likes this.
  5. SirToastalot

Bumping, there were a few updates regarding XC2 over the summer (music finalised & playable demo at Gamescon Cologne) but crucially we've got a new trailer and release date that were just announced through today's Nintendo Direct Presentation.

1st December 2017! A bit earlier than expected, so I hope they're getting their polish on at Monolith Soft right now...

Locations/Titans.
    Mini-Titan(s), Rex seems to live on one.
    Factions.
    Characters.
    Combat demonstration.

I may have to purchase a Switch for this one!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Bloody_Inferno and StevenC like this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Actually coming out this year! That's my brother's Xmas present sorted, thanks Nintendo.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Didn't play the first Xenoblade Chronicles. Any idea if that's going to be an issue playing 2? Because it looks awesome and I need more Switch exclusives

HeavyMetal4Ever likes this.
  8. SirToastalot

Are you getting him the Vanilla or Limited Edition version? Be generous to your sibling for Christmas. Haha.
    [​IMG]

I would highly recommend playing the original game, even if it looks dated (we're talking about running on spruced up Gamecube level hardware here). It has an unforgettable soundtrack, a story that twists and weaves multiple times and a bunch of (jokers) endearing characters.
    Apparently the plots are not connected (as far as we can tell from the previews), but both titles share the theme of Titans being inhabitable places.

If anything, give XC1 a try and see if you can cope with an early incarnation of the combat system and whether you can get along with those quirky Nopon.

StevenC likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, Limited edition... and the damn XC2 Pro controller.

10. SirToastalot

A small bump for the latest Nintendo Direct Presentation:

Skip to the 4 minute 30 second mark if you don't want to view the segment regarding the story and a character twist.

Some key points:

Japanese Voice Track available as DLC (from release day and beyond).

Blade Collecting.

Shopping at the Argentum Trade Guild (Nopon exist on this Titan).

Heart-to-Hearts.

Combat System covered again.

Paid for Expansion Pass DLC - extra content trickling out every few months until mid-2018.

Very generous of you!
    I've pre-ordered the Limited Edition from the Official store, but acquiring the Pro Controller is not a priority...yet.

StevenC likes this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, by the looks of it I'll get to play this some time around June. The Direct today got me really interested in it.

12. SirToastalot

If stock of the Switch console is plentiful around here then I hope to be playing the game by Christmas of this year!

It looks like a few journalists have received review copies of the game, and some previews have been published. Early impressions seem to be good, although some folks in the USA aren't enjoying the many regional accents (that we're quite used to here in the UK!).

Nintendo of Japan have released their version of an introductory video:

If you can't cope with those Scottish, Welsh and Northern accents, you've got the option to use the Japanese voice track at least...

It'll be a bit of an adjustment to interact with a more 'intimidating' Nopon:
    [​IMG]