[X-Posted in Rec. Studio] Darkglass Offical B7K & Vintage Deluxe Ultra PLUG-IN!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Apologies if crossposting isn’t allowed, but I figured that some bass players here dont visit the recording subforum.

http://neuraldsp.com/products/darkglass-ultra-plugins/#buy

$99 for the sound that defined modern prog metal bass tracks.

I’m gonna download the demo later today, give it a whirl in Logic with my Dingwalls. Hopefully the demo can be used to record a, well, demo track.

Masoo2 likes this.
  2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Been waiting on this for a while

The only other plugin alternative was the Obsidian 7000 in Helix Native and some EZMix 2 presets, right?

3. TheEmptyCell

Not sure what else is out there. Just cool to see Doug putting this out, and at $100 for 2 pedals that cost nearly $400 new it’s a great deal.

On TalkBass, Doug said the demo is 14 day no limits on function.

4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I was super excited to see this. Would have been an instant buy.

But iLok. So no, they won't get any money from me.

Just putting it out there to very clearly say that their decision to use ridiculous anti-theft software has cost them a sale from me.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Hey not sure If you will see my post in the other thread but on FB they said you don't need an Ilok stick. You just need to the licence manager on your computer to activate the plug-in.

6. Flappydoodle

Oh really? Let me try and see if it works!

7. TheEmptyCell

Yeah, you can just load iLok manager on your computer. As a ProTools user, I didn’t really see the big deal with the iLok requirement, but I get it.

Sounds pretty amazing to be honest. Never owned a Darkglass pedal, but have watched lots of videos featuring them.

8. Flappydoodle

What sort of settings/chain are you running?

I have my bass DI coming in, then Fabfilter compressor, the Darkglass pedal, then a Rosen cab impulse (Ampeg SVT or Monster Bass custom). I also tried it without the cab impulse, to get a simple dirty DI sound.

To me, it sounds fine, but no better than the TSE Audio BOD samsamp model, which is completely free:
    http://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD

The Darkglass plugin gives a lot of tweaking options, but it seems that lots of them produce super unbalanced and unusable tones. Whereas the TSE plugin pretty much every setting is useable.

9. TheEmptyCell

To each their own; I’ve never been big fan of the Sansamp sound.

I’m running my Dingwalls through a small pedalboard with a Southampton Fifth Gear always on for just a light amount of dirty boost. Straight into ProTools, running an HPF at 40hz, with a compressor on the track followed by the DG plugin on I got a tone that sounds exactly like I expect the B7K to sound.

I don’t recall exactly what I tweaked things to but something like this: drive about 2 o’clock and blend to about 10 o'clock, boost bass and low mid to about 1 o'clock, high mid a little more than 1 o’clock, treble noon, switches just in the center. Sounds exactly how I’d want the basic tone to start out with for a metal track if I wanted that really bright grind aka Nolly. It’s not a tone I’d use for everything, and I honestly don’t see the point of running it on the track without the distortion since I can use a graphic EQ for tone tweaking.

Next experiment is trying it with an amp/ cabinet emulator on the track. I’d pay the $99 for it, but I still don’t think I’d pay $300+ on the pedal. As good as it sounds, it’s not the sound I want all the time.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Anyone else find this crashing their DAW?

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

It didn't crash my DAW but I tried installing the trial on a friend's computer and we couldn't get it to work whatsoever, even used multiple emails to get more trial keys

idk why the trial worked my first time (semi) flawlessly, the only trouble was getting it to activate without crashing Cubase so I used FL Studio instead for activation.

12. Flappydoodle

Fwiw, my trial expired and I didn't buy the full version

Nothing particularly wrong with the plugin, but I like the tones I'm getting from the free TSE BOD and a cab impulse. It has a thicker distortion, rather than the gritty type on the B7K.

And basic tone shaping options from the pedal are easily accomplished on my bass itself, or with any EQ inserted in the chain. Couldn't really see a place for the plugin.