Would You 10 String?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ohmanthisiscool, Dec 22, 2017.

1. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I don't even 8 string...so no.

2. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I'd like 28-32 scale length for a 10 myself. I could see how you'd like to go even longer though. My friend has a 30 in scale length agile 10 string and the G# can be a bitch.

Hollowway likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Yeah, I would, but definitely not a straight scale, and definitely not 28". I'm actually going to be having a built started soon for a headless 10-string with a 28.5"-31" fanned scale. The plan is to do the top 8 as a drop E eight string with octaves below the B and low E...... should be interesting, to say the least.

4. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez SS.org Regular

Currently have a seven, but the highest I would (and plan to) go is eight. It's got all the versatility and extra range I'd need. Bog standard plus the brown note range, so you can play most anything, that's why drop A is so popular. Anything more and you're probably playing tap-heavy music. I find that most nine/ten stringers either play really out-there forms of metal and fusing other genres, or using two of the strings making spin-kick music lol

5. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

no just no

6. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I am comfortable with six and seven string instruments. Eight strings take a bit of mental effort still, but I can manage. The last nine string that I played made me think that I was not quite looking at the face of Cthulu and courting madness. I am sure that a ten string guitar would be on the outer realms of my reality.

That all being said, I still think that eight, ten, and twelve string Chapman sticks are cool instruments, but the ten and twelve stringers are tuned very differently to narrow the range and appeal to tapping styles. Getting outside of the normal 4ths tuning and six strings, multi-scale makes so much more sense. Keeping the perpendicular fret pretty low keeps it feeling closer to a straight fret instrument though.

I am sure that I am just reiterating what most here already know.

/TL;DR

Would I ten string? Only with a condensed tuning, multi-scale, but not with standard tuning or straight frets.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  7. lurè

lurè extended range pizza

Has science gone too far?

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If you gave that guitar to me, I would really work at thinking of something to do with it, but I agree with the general expectations here that it'd probably not be too handy an instrument in fourths tuning.

At 30" scale, your upper end would probably be around F4, due to stress limits of modern strings. My personal preference for the low end of such an instrument would probably be no lower than C#1, so I'd have to tune it like a standard nine string with an extra high E or maybe a semitone step up to the treblemost string at F.

If you threw some multiscale action on that, maybe 24"-30" and crank the treble string all the way up to A, or 30"-36" and try out a low low G# (not even sure how that'd work, though).

Or else develop either higher density string alloys or ultra high tensile strings to handle either or both ends of those ranges.

I love pushing the limits, but I think it just has to be done earnestly.

9. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

If there is some innovation that allows a 10 string to be practical (realistic scale lengths) i would jump.
    Till then NO

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Basing it on my 9 string with 24.75-29.25 fan low E to high Ab.
    I wouldn't want to go wider with the fan.
    I've tried a low B at 30" on Bass VI's and it was good with a .120 but not ideal.
    The high Ab at 24.75 isn't perfect either though it is safe and bendable a semitone.
    I need to test single string pickups with compensated placement and single string EQ to improve short scale low strings. That may make such things more viable for me. I'd even prefer longer than 29.25 for my low E without such technologies.
    I COULD manage 30-24.75 10 string in B, especially if I didn't tune perfect 4ths. High G is much more viable than high G#.
    But yeah, it's really pushing it for conventional tuning. I will try one in 3rds tuning but I still think in general it will be a touch too big for me to love completely, coupled with the long scale and big fan.
    If we are talking conventional tunings, I'm really not interested in going below B until 32" or down to that G# without something like 37"

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should" -Ian Malcolm

coffeeflush, Vyn, Hollowway and 2 others like this.
  12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

A 10 string is completely practical with a bass scale, fanned or not, then you have the length needed for the lowest strings to sound good, you wouldn't be able to keep a standard top E though.
    Or with an extreme fan like 34"-30" a top E is possible but tight.
    I can understand it's extreme for a guitar, it becomes a narrow-spaced ERB instead.
    In the ERB world 10 strings is 15 year old news, we're up to a practical 13 strings now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  13. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I've thought about getting an agile 10 string with a fan on and off... I'd probably get a 25.5-28.6" scale and tune the whole thing up a step. That way you would have a doable high F# and then you could have an easier time getting a low A#. I feel this would be the best compromise as far as affordable non-custom guitars go, I just don't know how well that low A# would intonate, i.e. I dont know if the agiles have the saddle travel to intonate it.

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yes, this the build I keep wanting to have Tom Drinkwater build for me. Only, I'd probably go to 35". I think a 5" fan over 10 strings would be easy to adapt to. And the extra tension on the low end would be fine. 29-34" would be another option, so that soloing wouldn't get too hard. It would be easily doable, and really would make the most sense. Trying to get low on 30" (or high at 25.5") really doesn't work easily well.

15. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Given my experiences beyond 8 so far, I doubt it. In spite of a couple examples having more pronounced fans, it was still incredibly hard to balance the thing tonally and I ended up with either rather useless farty 9th and 10th strings or super aggressive treble strings, and given my preferences, none of those is acceptable. It also had me doing touch-style almost 100% of the time, and to be fair, I'd rather use a Chapman Stick for that kind of endeavour.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Either or? Heh, I really think it'd likely end up being both, unless it was a very very expensive instrument. But like I said before, if someone gave me a ten string guitar for free, I would definitely try my best to come up with a use for it.

----

On re-evaluation of this thread's premise, I have to say, I actually have owned a ten string guitar. I've even owned it for a very long time. And it's not at all an uncommon number of strings in country music on this type of guitar. It's a pedal steel. The "standard" pedal steel guitar has ten strings. It has a sort of weird re-entrant tuning where the highest string is actually the third string, G#4, and the tenth string (which is the lowest) is only B2. No multiscale necessary. :lol:

Fred the Shred and Winspear like this.