Would it be possible to plug a pod hd500x directly into a cab WITHOUT an amp head?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Alerion89, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

1. Alerion89

Alerion89 SS.org Regular

I’m pretty stupid when it comes to tech stuff, so I was wondering if it’s possible to have a thing such as a pod hd500x directly into a cab? Would I need a power amp or some thang (again I pretty much don’t know shit so I’m not sure what a power amp actually does LMAO ;-; )?

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

No.

What are you going to power the speakers with?

You need a power amp to drive the speakers in the cab.

Mike likes this.
  3. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

^correct. Those modelers are preamps. Need a poweramp as well.

4. NickS

NickS Carvinite

You can use a powered cab or the like as well, but those just combine the power amp and cab in one unit. Where are you planning to use it (home use, live setting, etc...)?

5. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

If you're at home or practising, you can just plug into a powered speaker, like the EV ZLX-12P. You'll want something neutral to plug into anyway cause the POD simulates cab tones already. Search for, or ask around on forums about "FRFR" (Full Range Flat Response) speakers.

For playing live, you'll most likely be wired directly into the venue's sound system. No speaker necessary, no mics required. Same goes for recording- just plug into the interface.