Wonder Woman movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by wankerness, Jul 23, 2016.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I'm a casual movie-goer, and I really enjoyed it.

Also, this exists.

[​IMG]

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I absolutely loved it. She was PERFECT for the role. And I 100% agree about that central battle scene, where she walks into no-man's land. This movie brought me closer to tears than any other superhero movie. Which is what is SUPPOSED to happen when we see someone fighting for truth, justice, and peace. Frankly, I'm surprised DC had it in them, given how I am used to DC movies sucking (with the exception of Dark Knight). I also totally dug her accent in the film, because I like the idea that every superhero doesn't necessarily come from the US. I thought that totally worked.

And agreed that Justice League looks like it's going to suck. Maybe if I find myself at a 12 year old's birthday party where no one is paying close attention to a movie, I'll rent it. But it looks like meaningless fluff.

And if I may go on a get-off-my-lawn rant here, can we stop making new Spiderman movies? Please? In the past 15 years we've had Spiderman show up in 6 movies, and has been played my 3 different actors. It's getting to be as much of a joke as Batman. As evidenced by Wonder Woman, there are LOADS of viable superheroes to make films about. And this is coming from one of the world's biggest Spiderman fans. (Not big enough to put the hyphen in his name, but that's more because I don't want to think of it as Spidey's mom divorcing his dad, and marrying Mr. Man, and therefore having to hyphenate Spidey's name for ever more.)

A-Branger and russmuller like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not gonna lie, I have no idea what's significant about the gif.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Probably the lady-boner that she's having in the first half of the gif, what with the eyes and lip biting cues, then controlling herself

Tom Holland is the best Spidey we've gotten to date, and I hope they continue to use him well. Maguire sucked and didn't even have the physique of Spiderman in any sense, and I don't get the massive hard-on everyone has for the Raimi films. Garfield's portrayal was closer, but the films themselves were luke-warm at best and did nothing for the franchise but really keep it active. Now Holland comes in not too far out of high school kid (like Peter), crushes it as Spiderman in Civil War and in his own solo film (because we all know it's going to do well) and can't seem to catch a break for it because of events that were in motion years before he could do anything. Hopefully it'll all shut up once these ones prove themselves to be THE Spidey films.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I mean, I understand that's what's happening in the gif.... but why anyone cares that's a thing goes over my head. :lol: I mean, if you're on the receiving end of that look in person- whole other story. But none of us here are that guy, so....

I get that she's attractive and all, but I guess I just don't really care about when celebrities make googly eyes at eachother, or understand why other people care. I can't be the only person mildly weirded out by how people idolize attractive strangers over the internet.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Well, I loved it

They used her theme once, and I really love that theme in general, but it made its on use so much more powerful; it was the cue that "hey, Wonder Woman is here and shits gonna get fucked up by her, and she feels zero guilt about it."

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

They definitely used it more than once in parts where she beat people up! I think it was just two extended uses of her beating people up, but it might have been three.

I LOVE that theme, it's so damn ridiculous. Plus, it's in 7/8, and I'm such a nerd I get a kick out of virtually anything in an irregular meter. :p They did go to some pains to foreshadow it, with some strains of it showing up in strings in the music on the island and that kind of thing, but yeah. It still is definitely at odds with virtually everything else on the very traditional soundtrack, but it still is AWESOME.

Another, more serious note about it is that it's nice to have an actual recurring theme for a character across superhero movies. Marvel does a ton of stuff right, but their soundtracks are almost universally garbage (Captain America 1 and Doctor Strange are the exceptions) and they haven't bothered doing any memorable themes for anyone, or even carrying a theme across movies apart from the crummy "Avengers assemble" theme that I think is just in the two movies. I mean, this theme is absolutely not John Williams' Superman theme, but it still is nice seeing some attempt to have musical cohesion.

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Well, we saw Wonder Woman, and it was great.

I'm really not sure I watched the same movie some other folks did, because most of the soldiers had higher heels than Wonder Woman. I normally notice that kind of thing in action scenes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Many female friends loved the Raimi movies, and it had to do with *story*. The films weren't just exposition filling in the time between fight scenes. That made the Raimi Spider-Man films the first to appeal equally to both make and female audience members.

----

It was interesting, after watching the film, to finally read through the rejected Joss Whedon script.it was *terrible*, and it both makes me happy that he didn't bring that sensibility to Wonder Woman, and sad that it will be applied to Batgirl.

StevenC likes this.
  9. sezna

sezna undermotivated

There are so many photos and interviews where people are convinced she is into whatever guy she is with cause of that look - I think it is just how she looks. People were saying that about Conan when she was on. I'm pretty sure she didn't have it for Conan.

As for the movie, better than a normal superhero movie but still fell victim to excessive cheesiness. I could not get over the wonder woman outfit - it is just so ridiculous, and having it contrasted with WWII soldiers...kinda weird.

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

:agreed:

Marvel's scores are terrible. Its baffling that they completely dropped the ball there. If you ask someone to hum a piece of music from one of their films and they won't be able to.

I got to see Hans Zimmer live last week and the Wonder Woman theme was incredible.

StevenC likes this.
  11. wankerness

Seriously. Must be the same kinds of people that think any girl at the checkout line that smiles at them is into them. It's their job to look genuinely friendly!!

sezna likes this.
  12. Explorer

This was so matter of fact, I laughed.
    After the Batnipples and molded muscles, it'a pretty difficult to claim a superheroine costume is ridiculous. Wankerness had this topic covered pretty well already.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And again, looking at the action shots. I posted earlier, even the Soldier has higher heels than Diana.
    Yeah... some guys definitely make that unwarranted assumption.

13. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Hey man, I'm not excusing their costumes either. I think they're all cheesy. They just lack the WWII scenery to add that extra level of ridiculousness.

14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Lucky for them, this was WWI

StevenC likes this.
  15. sezna

sezna undermotivated

whoops..thought it was ww2 because of the original wonder woman.

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

well they did gave her bigger boobs than what she has. Which Im not really complaining, but its funny to think its just air inside that part of the costume lol...... I think?..... I though that was the case from seeing pictures of her, but I tried to search a photo of her, and in some she looks almost like the costume, in others with less.... dunno really, boobs and how they look with clothes on vs reality, is one of those mysteries that we men are never going to solve..... And then they ask why we stare? :lol:

yes, those action shots look more decent and more like a normal shoe/boot or what it really should be. But my initial comment was because there are different shots with her using a different pair, these might be a more stunt/action set? maybe?

check the props
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

not that it is massive, but theres def something, enouhg for me to notice it during the movie and think "why?" but in reality.... meh!

17. wankerness

Are you sure that isn't a redo for Justice League to make the costume more Snydery so they could put more upskirt shots in the trailer? The second picture obviously is from that movie.

Maybe it's the same in both, but if so, looks like maybe that's a "compressible" heel or something since it clearly as at lower angles in those pictures posted above. Who knows. Point is, at least the effect in the WW movie isn't at all that it's stripper heels.

18. Explorer

Given that the film didn't seem to be focused on satisfying any sort of "male gaze," I'm puzzled by the idea that WW was trying to garner that kind of stare.

Are you sure you're not mistakenly talking about stuff like the upskirt shot in BvS? Or even the costume design from anything with the character Black Widow? Or even any film where Wanda/Scarlet Witch was on the side of good, and therefore had to sudenly start showing cleavage (yeah, that was a sign of her suddenly being the right kind of powerful woman)? If so, why are you attributing it to a different movie?

I'm going to bet that this nit you're attempting to pick hasn't really been mentioned here on SS.org regarding the Black Widow character. I also like that you ignored the obvious enhancement of the Flash's physique in that photo you posted from another film production, while leveling that critique at an entirely different film production of which the photo isn't representative.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    A quick image search reveals the first picture to be of props from BvS, and clearly the second is from Justice League.

I did ask a friend, who actually works in costumes, to keep an eye open for this when rewatching the film. and no such heels were noticed. This makes me wonder... is this is just an internet complaint which originated from someone looking for something to complain about without actually seeing the movie? Is this a matter of people repeating the claim without it being reflective of the reality of the film? If so, why would they do that?

Does anyone else think it's strange that so many here on SS.org might be repeating something which might not have any evidence?

This might, however, turn out to be a great illustration of the difference between male- and female-directed movies. I'll be interested to see if a lot of boy's club members on the internet leveled the same complaints against BvS, where the complaints are obviously true (with that first photo being proof), or if they will do so about the upcoming Justice League film. If they didn't and don't, that's pretty hilarious, and a great piece of evidence regarding motivations to make unfounded complaints where they don't actually apply, right?

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I havent read anything on the internet, or relating anything to black widow? or the upskirt shoot? I didnt even notice (or remember) that one to be honest, donno where you got that from?. You mention costume enhancements for something (prob a different topic), which made me remember an observation about hers I didnt mention. And I did because of of training costume mostly
    [​IMG]

which couldnt get more tight fit than that. Which by default makes her chest looks "bigger" or better said more "sculpted" or more noticeable. When in shots or interviews I ahve seen her it didnt look quite that, but after searching for a picture of her in bikini, I found out she might be able to pull it off (or come close enough). Either way at least the WW costume is not that much exaggerated (or doesnt looks like), maybe its jsut the color/texture of this one

and for her boots/heels, I posted those pictures knowing they are one for BvS and the other from JL only because showing they kept her costume fairly the same accross the movies, aslo because I couldnt found a still image of full body from her WW movie (maybe its still too recent?)

But I did found these

[​IMG]

image used for a movie poster

[​IMG]

[youtubevid]5lGoQhFb4NM[/youtubevid]

watch at 2:10 mark for close up shot

My point didnt came from SJW forums/internet. Came from me notice that in trailers and specially on the film.

It looks like they have a couple of different boots. One for practical movement for action shots, and another for style still shots and close-ups. Which is fairly common practice in Hollywood (like a stun double). In fact I saw a snip of the behind the scenes of her running part in no-mans land scene where she was wearing normal shoes/boots under the leg armour as in that shot in particular didnt fully showed her feet.

I know its all for the screen and what not. But my point came from the "reality" point of view the DC films seems to be coming from, rather than a "comic" look. Hence why Superman suit looks like that as they tried to make it look like it was some sort of alien clothes, rather than a guy in spandex with outside underwear just beacause

puttign that topic behind, since I didnt want to go into arguing about her shoes of a metal guitar forum lol.... What ever happened to her sword?, Its there for BvS, but it gets destroyed in this film.....?