Wonder Woman movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by wankerness, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

So all the positive feedback from advanced reviews are giving me hope. I really want to like the DCEU, but so far the output begs to differ. Wonder Woman is such an important movie on so many aspects, so I really want this to be the DCEU movie to win me over, and it's on the right track. I'll be watching this on Friday.

That really depends on the character and source material. Deadpool and Wolverine demanded an R Rated movie (Logan made better sense as one when you compare it to the bloodless killing on previous movies). Lobo and Red Hood definitely should be R Rated if an adaptation comes along. In contrast, not everybody works all grim and dark. It's my biggest problem with Superman's current DCEU incarnation.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Warner Bros have been insisting in making darker toned superhero movies since Tim Burton's Batman. It made a ton of money, and it pretty much set the standard and tone for every other subsequent superhero movie, and even their animated series ever made (Batman The Animated series, raising such a high standard, owes so much to Burton's Batman).

In turn, WB also insist that the 90s gritty comic era that started with Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns is where they want to base their movies. Again a ton of money was made with the aforementioned comic, and The Death And Return Of Superman. WB has planned a shared universe as far back as Batman Returns, and even wanted the Nicholas Cage Superman move based on his death. Hell, the 4 people who saw Green Lantern can tell you that hinted a shared universe too.

I don't blame WB for trying to capitalize on that era of comic culture. But so far, aside from Burton, and Nolan's Batman, it's been disastrous. It wasn't all grim and dark before, Richard Donner's Superman was all bright, and is still the best Superman movie ever made.

I agree that DCEU started running the race far too late to catch up to MCU. Marvel had a few movies under their belt before doing the team-up film, and one of DC's biggest missteps is trying to do all of that within a short time.

Marvel's problem on the other hand, is they're under the Disney umbrella so the have to do family friendly movies that aim to please everyone.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

My mom wants to go see it...which...doesn't bode well for the movie quality

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm intrigued by all of the personal opinions that seem to differ so much from my own observations that I sometimes think I saw a different movie than everyone else.

For me, a film is about characters, plot, dialogue, editing, and cinematography. I think plot inconsistencies are par for the course, but if the movie has a good foundation in characters and whatnot, then people don't notice the little goofs as much. Any film based off of a book, comic, another movie, etc., faces additional problems in capturing the spirit of the source material correctly. This is where I think Nolan hit the ball out of the park. Batman is a conflicted character with a lot of textures, and there were periods where the comics got quite dark. Nolan's films captured the spirit of the source material, offered an interesting plot, and represented characters in a way that really did the source material justice. He also did some quite notable cinematography in all three of his films. People who hate his take on Batman just puzzle me, but there are quite a few.

I felt that Marvel has had its ups and downs. Iron Man seemed to really capture the character well, and had good dialogue and a decent plot, but did forsake a few things from the source material. I thought it was forgivable. Iron Man 2, to me, was kind of a no surprises film, but Iron Man 3, for me, committed several source-material-based sins and just did not make up for it with improved characters, plot, or dialogue... Avengers put blockbuster stars together on screen in a calculated way, and I thought it paid off quite well. The characters really grabbed me, the dialogue was mostly great, the plot worked well for me, and the cinematography was improved.

Then there is DC. How can you not compare Marvel and DC? BvS and Suicide Squad, to me, felt off. They could have done more with the characters, they could have been more subtle with the cinematography, they could have had better plot - it's not that these films were flat out bad, but they just were average Hollywood films that happened to have comic characters in them.

But this is a totally different movie. I hope people will look at it that way instead of thinking of it as part of BvS or as part of the Justice League.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I have no problem with grimdark anti-heroes as long as it isn't forced and awful and against the character. I loved Logan, for example. MoS/BvS felt way too try-hard with getting Superman to be as tortured as Batman and I was not a fan of that version of the character. And it's like....if they make SUPERMAN a dark character, I figured they'd make EVERYONE a dark character, since Superman is historically as non-dark as it gets. With what they did, I figured we'd be stuck with Marvel if we wanted any lightness. Again, Captain America was the only current "Superman" type going. I love what they did with him, and the last two "solo" movies showed how you could make a somewhat dark movie while still having that character be fighting for "truth, justice, and the American way."

Agreed with all of this. I dunno if I'll get in to see it on Friday or not, but it's definitely moved to the top of my hyped list for summer now (War for the Planet of the Apes is second).

I, too, judge a movie that isn't out's quality based on who wants to see it. :confused:

Uh...so did you see Wonder Woman already? If so, what did you think of it apart from "I hope people don't judge it based on the sins of the other DC movies?"

I kind of liked MoS, and I really didn't mind BvS apart from how long it was and the unbelievably annoying Jesse Eisenberg, but I truly did hate Suicide Squad. Almost every part of it grated, such as the incredibly try-hard opening in which we got approximately 15 seconds of 25 different very popular songs while EXTREME fonts flashed across the screen introducing all the characters, the nearly non-existent character development through the middle, Harley Quinn's completely un-superpowered character being the leader of the group just because she's good at hitting people with bats, the worst Joker ever, the villains who were like expensive renditions of Putties, the completely pointless character with the sword that completely pointlessly EATS SOULS, the idiotically gyrating empty suit with eyebrows that was Enchantress, and yet another pointless SKY PORTAL climax with tons of boring CGI. I could keep going on for pages, it was really a structural disaster with the most annoying tone this side of a Vanilla Ice video. Poochy to the EXTREME!!!

6. bostjan

No. Sorry if that was somehow misleading. :confused:

I generally disliked MoS. The plot was a mess, and the characters were a mess. The visual effects and pacing were a little funky, and there was nothing that stood out about the scripting nor the performances. At least Suicide Squad had some quirks that were half annoying and half endearing. Man of Steel was just kind of blandly annoying until the end. I audibly gasped when
    Superman snapped Zod's neck
    It seemed out of character on multiple levels, and also not entirely feasible from what I understand of Kryptonian physics. But, oh well. It's just my personal opinion of the movie. Public opinion of the film is higher than SS or BvS.

7. wankerness

To be honest, I think a big part of why I liked MoS was it was one of the first things I watched on my new surround system, and it is an EXTREMELY aggressive movie in terms of sound :D I have little desire to rewatch it to find out if it was any good on a non-technical level. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, and I'd dislike it.

8. Bloody_Inferno

These are pretty much the reasons why Man Of Steel disappointed me so much. They sucked the fun out of Superman and turned him into a mopey objectivist prick. I still think it's better than BvS and Suicide Squad, the former making Superman even less likeable.

Now I'm contemplating whether I should wait for tomorrow or drop everything to see a late screening of Wonder Woman tonight... :lol:

9. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

@wankerness my mom is 71 years old ^_^
    She had never seen science fiction/superhero/fantasy movies LOL

10. wankerness

Wonder Woman isn't showing at my local ONE SCREEN theater, unfortunately. We get week two of Pirates of the Caribbean (barf). I'll probably have to make the drive to see it on Sunday or something when I don't have to make reservations ahead of time! After another ton of reviews hit the net, the percentage on RT went down, but only slightly. This clearly isn't a Mad Max FR level masterpiece or anything, but it sounds damn good and like just the kind of thing I want to see.

11. bostjan

I can almost feel your pain. We have a 3-screen theater in town, and any time there is a 3D movie, it takes up two screens, sometimes all three, but, other than that, the cinema is pretty good about offering the three most popular films. We also have a smaller cinema inside of our local art gallery that shows more artsy, less commercially popular films. Sometimes there is a movie I want to go see, and the cinema doesn't have it, so I look online and find out that I'd have to drive 90-120 minutes to see it. So I write down the name of the film on a list in my notebook and wait for it to show up on DVD or Netflix. Anyway, our little cinema is showing WW, currently. Reviews so far have been stellar, but it looks like we will have a busy weekend with homeowner-type stuff, so I guess I'll pass, at least for this weekend, and instead be a boring adult. :lol:

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

After BvS and Suicide Squad I won't be seeing anymore DC films in the cinema although the reviews for this are a welcome change to the usual.

Some trivia but before FR George Miller was set to direct a Justice League film back in 2008 and Wonder Woman was going to be played by Megan Gale(one of the Vuvalini).

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  13. Bloody_Inferno

Just came back from the cinema...

As some of these threads on superhero movies, or movies in general have documented, I've been rather, to put it nicely, 'indignant' on the DCEU movies. Man Of Steel was a huge dry joyless disappointment, and I despised Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad. It made me sound like a one sided snot nosed Marvel fanboy, despite being otherwise (seriously I mean that). So coming back from Wonder Woman... I felt refreshed. DCEU finally got it right.

To compare it to previous DCEU movies is unfairly easy. But by doing so the reasons are crystal clear:

- The plot, structure and screenplay is recognisable and coherent, I can tell and follow what the hell is going on.
    - Dialogue is believable, and sound like humans talking
    - Cinematography doesn't look like you rubbed crap into your eyes.
    - There's actual love for the source material shown on this movie.

If anything, Wonder Woman has a similar vibe to some of Marvel Phase 1 origin movies (namely Cap First Avenger and a bit of the first Thor movie)... yeah ok it's another origin movie. Take that as a flaw if you will. The only other flaw I can say without spoilers is the slight loss of 'Wonder' actually. Wonder Woman already took the attention from that walrus cankers she first debuted in so it somewhat loses the impact, a minor quibble though.

Still, being the first female led superhero movie of the new generation, Wonder Woman was important and needed to be at least good. And I'm certainly glad it was indeed a good movie.

TL/DR: Anyone down on DCEU, Wonder Woman is the remedy we've been waiting for.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  14. wankerness

From what I've heard/seen in the trailers, the last act's cinematography does turn into garbage gray/blue joyless Snyder trash with tons of pointless slow motion, which I'm sure was mandated to force it to fit into the "canon." Is that accurate?

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It hurts my brain a little bit that a gigantic budget film is considered a "good" one based on this kind of criteria. As in, at this level, given that we should be able to assume the film is being made by professionals, this should be the very base level of what's acceptable at all, not so much a measure of a "good" movie.

bostjan likes this.
  16. wankerness

He was clearly phrasing those in such a way that he was more criticizing the related movies to this (ex, Suicide Squad) rather than saying they made this stand out by "regular movie" standards. But, either way, that's been the case with huge budgets since about the time Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean came out :D

17. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Saw this today really enjoyed it because it's not like previous DC films but it's nothing like the Marvel films either infact the first half was a fantasy film while the second felt like a war movie and although there's shades of Batman Begins and Superman'78 in there it's very much it's own thing.

Full marks to Gal Gadot as I've only ever seen her in bit parts but she leads this movie incredibly well Chris Pine was a shock too as he's come across as a bland slab of handsomeness in everything I've ever seen him in but I really felt for the guy here and loved watching him and Gal Gadot together as their chemistry was great and their characters were true to the comics.

The WW1 scenes with the Blackhawks were great and I liked how there seemed to be a subtle point being made about how awful the reality of war is and how loss affects people it's a theme which kept popping up throughout the film and I felt it was handled well as it never came over as preachy and felt like it was from the heart.

Technically speaking the movie is shot/lit beautifully with solid colour & shadow there are a few shots where the cgi is obvious but not in the same dreary artificial manner as BvS and after a while I found myself wishing BvS had been filmed in a similar style.
    Speaking of BvS some reviews have said the final third gets a bit Zack Snyderish so I was half expecting a Snyder/Bayformers type thing but (and I say this as someone who can't stomach cgi) I don't think it looked that bad it's just that one particular scene plays out like a God of War/Castlevania boss fight come to life which may actually be a good thing in some peoples eyes.

Overall it's not perfect (pacing is a bit iffy in spots) but it's pretty damn close and this has me geared up for Justice League in a way that I wasn't before.

18. wankerness

After seeing the trailer for Justice League before it, it has me a lot LESS geared up for Justice League. It's such an absolutely hideous gray, blue and yellow barf of a movie and there were 2 or 3 upskirt shots of wonder woman in the trailer alone (there are ZERO in this entire movie). Plus, sarcastic quips right and left. Just...ugh. F Zach Snyder's filming style.

This, on the other hand, was quite good. I was not a big fan of anything before Chris Pine showed up, but from there it all worked. The big climax could also probably have been dialed back as it was a LOT of CGI explosions, but meh. The obvious comparison is Captain America 1. It did a lot of things better than that movie - it felt sort of like the part in CA:TFA that was very unfortunately relegated to a montage. Here we actually get to meet her squad and see their adventures. The romance was also comparable, though I think that was done better in Captain America. They are the only two superhero movies in the last ten years where the romance scenes are actually good and actually add anything to the movie!!

That big central battle sequence starting with when she's being walked towards the front and starts seeing suffering left and right and keeps trying to help all the way through when she takes out the sniper is STUNNING and is the best scene of that sort since I don't even know when. It might not be as visually impressive, but that's exactly the kind of thing I think of when I think "superhero" and it is barely on display in most of these sorts of things. The way she eventually just can't take it anymore and runs out into no-man's land is like, chills-worthy!! She's a really great character.

I liked this quote from the director. I heard she's signed on for the sequel - thank GOD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Watched it yesterday with my wife and we loved it.

20. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Just saw it today, Chris Pine was amazing!!! Pine brought so much depth in the dynamics between Trevor and Prince. The ending was a little sloppy, my only gripe was that it felt like the First Cap A movie, not that it's a bad thing, probably because of similar themes maybe ...