Wintersun's Jari Mäenpää on Time II Problems

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jvms, Jul 31, 2014.

1. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

I agree with Lorcan - that performance at Summer Breeze was quite special to watch! It must have been great to be there. I think Wintersun is back for good because The Forest Season kicks butt musically and shows what this band has been all about from the beginning. It is certainly not an easy listen and needs proper mood and athmosphere to enjoy it. My opinion is this also: the first impression stays no matter what comes later. If I had given it the first listen at work during lunchbreak shewing my tortilla I would not had liked it probably. Too long and too nonshreddy. Fortunately Summer Breeze pro footage was the first time I experienced new songs when I had time and mood for it and Teemed it awsome! ... The opening "spring" is an epic anthem!

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Hi guys, Metropolis here!

Wintersun is starting their North American tour tomorrow in Philadelphia, PA, Theatre of Living Arts. Are any of you sevenstringers going to see them? Also this time they are teasing us with a new song, which will be played in that tour.

KailM likes this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I wish I could go, but it's an 8 1/2 hour drive to the nearest venue. I should probably find a way to make it happen...

Metropolis likes this.
  4. Metropolis

Damn those distances in your side of the earth... can you take a plane to fly there?

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I got so excited seeing the new song part in the title. Hopefully they release it after the tour.

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

If they want to wait ten years before releasing albums, they can wait ten more years before I'll go to a show.

Velokki and drmosh like this.
  7. Metropolis

Ten years? Three albums were released in 2004, 2012 and 2017 ;)

I hope to see decent quality live recording from the new song. Even if it's recorded with phone or just digital camera without a mic.

8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

To be fair, they released one album in 2004, half an album in 2012 (still missing the other half 6 years later), and an EP as a workaround to crowdfund a studio. So 1 full length in 14 years...

I am personally split on going. I went back in 2013 and I doubt they have much more new material to play despite being excellent live.

9. Metropolis

I admit that Time I is barely a full album with it's 38 minute length, but The Forest Seasons is because it's 54 minutes. Could be damn long EP... btw band themselves call it intermediate work or something like that, because it's released between building the studio and past era of Wintersun, and it's not polished to the max production wise. Also actually the debut clocks about same as The Forest Seasons, structure of an album is just way different.

From this new era of band I've seen Wintersun live three times in the past one and a half years, and they've been excellent every time. Best of those times was "by request" gig at local club in Helsinki, everything was just right. Highly recommend to go and see them, it's interesting to see Jari without guitar.

10. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Time 1 had 3 songs and 2 filler tracks for ambience. Forest seasons is long, yes, but the songs need self-edit. They are extremely repetitive and drag out. If a producer worked with them, the album would barely touch 30 minutes. Either way, I think claiming 10 years to release material is very accurate

Razerjack likes this.
  11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I'm quiting going to orchestal type of bands, I saw Wintersun in their last gig and I could barely recognize the songs. There is a big ball of sound which makes me not enjoy the concert as I should. Same happen with Devin Townsend.

Lorcan Ward and I play music like this.
  12. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

How does Sarah Longfield fit into this and why do the WIntersun guys always make these cringy half-assed gestures? :lol:

13. Metropolis

I dunno... not at all. Even NeObliviscaris is a little bit weird match for touring with them. Metal community is full of cringy and self ironic things, sometimes those kind of gestures belong into it :D

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yes but come on :lol: Jari especially is just plain annoying to watch.

Regarding their live stuff, I really think they should get a keyboard player. Since a lot of their later material is more or less based on the orchestrations rather than the riffs, it feels like cheating to me to play all of those from backing tracks. I mean, I get that it's impossible to play it all without a full orchestra or something, but they could have a keyboard player playing the main things and then when some extra layers are needed, use backing tracks for just those instead of EVERYTHING :lol: My preference would of course be that they'd get rid of all the backing tracks and just play the songs in a more minimal format - it'd sound close enough anyway, IMO.

I play music likes this.
  15. Metropolis

Jari was actually searching for a keyboard player for Wintersun before the first album came out. It could have been relevant at that time, but nowadays not so. There is so much going on in those backing tracks, that they make having a keyboard player really pointless. Songs wouldn't sound nowhere the same without all the little things happening in there, even if it would be a live situation where everything is more or less same big wall of sound. Keyboard players are good for music when there is actual emphasis for playing them, Wintersun doesn't really have that in my opinion. You can't even play those with keyboards, because they're made with vst-samples including tons of automation, and not having them would really neuter everything.

Just for example.

16. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I didn't listen to that whole track, but I don't think it would be hard for a good keyboardist to pull most of that off

17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'm guessing they all have overlapping management on some level. And yeah, Jari especially is the most obnoxious person to watch talk about ANYTHING. That video about the artwork for the last album was so bad, I watched the whole thing because I thought it was joke. *clenches fist awkwardly with arm fully extended* "and we got the money shot"

18. Metropolis

In all seriousness songs in Time I have huge amount of synth & orchestration tracks, it wouldn't sound even near the same. Bands that have keyboard player have often backingtracks because of it. For the first album most of synths were played by Jari himself.

brector likes this.
  19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Sarah does seem out of place on that bill but congrats to her for getting a gig like that. I've found a different style opening act can work a lot better at building up the audience instead of having every band the same genre. 4 djent bands all similar style supported Loomis one time I saw him and it was a snoozefest. If any of you guys haven't seen Ne Obliviscaris before you are in for a treat!

At festivals Wintersun sound amazing but when I saw them years later in a small club it was just a wall of noise. Having such layered backing tracks running through the PA with guitars, bass, vocals and drums just ends up in mud. Nightwish mix live keyboards with backing tracks quite well but I don't feel it would benefit Wintersun at all live.

20. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Wintersun were pretty good at Wacken. Nighwish were bloody good, not a bad show in the 4 times Ive seen them.