Why do 'original' bands hold 'cover' bands in such low regard?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by dacookster, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Haven't read much of the recent posts, but I sort of resent covers. I love doing them, but I hate spending a couple hours recording a cover and it getting hundreds of thousands of views, meanwhile my original songs, which I spend days/weeks writing and recording just sort of fester and get like 90 views. It's a little disheartening and shows the effort gap. You don't have to market covers nearly as heavily as original music. The fact that it's known material sort of gives it a pre-baked amount of exposure.

2. crazyprofessor

crazyprofessor SS.org Regular

I tried to do original bands for the longest time. I really wanted to and I still do. I just could never hook up with anyone who was not a complete flake.

I am 49 now and perhaps the train left the station on my dream of becoming a rockstar, so I've been in coverbands for the last 7-8 years. It works, in the sense that it allows me to be on a stage and play and have fun. I try to infuse my own original, improvised leads to the extent possible. Still longing for an original band though.

I also take some condescending shit from "original" bands. I say "original" because if your idea of original is to play 1-4-5 blues songs all night and still feel the need to look down at coverbands, fuck you ;-).

sevenfoxes likes this.
  3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at :yesway: Coming up with something vs. simply copying it is such a significant difference to me, regardless of how much effort and skill it took to make a faithful copy. I'm sure a lot of Kiss cover bands have better players than Gene Simmons :) It goes for original bands too, Trivium is a great example that being skilled enough to do Metallica better than Metallica still won't make you as popular as Metallica.