Why are you sad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Kenivel, May 28, 2014.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yeh, I hear that.

I've had some days where I just had no idea what to do with myself. Might be doing something you have to do thinking "man, when will this end, I want to be doing anything else right now", then you finish that thing, have a whole day left and think... "ah great... now I don't know what to do, and nothing sounds appealing right now".

Sometimes just gatta pick a thing and do it anyway. Might be enough of a pickup, might not. Who knows.

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, the mind's an interesting thing. When I have a day like you described I just don't do anything. Haven't had one in a long time though, I always have to do something :lol: But what I mean is that it's not a crime to just idle out sometimes :)

3. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Just heard Ralph Santolla is in a coma, he suffered a heart attack and things are not looking well.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I live on an island, resort thingy. Been here for 9 months. I recently found a chick which happens to be of my age (34), first chick I ever date thats my own age, which on this island is pretty weird to find, average age here is like 24 lol.

I only got to go out with her for a few weeks, now she left today :( shes been here for 3 years, also recently broke with her ex one of reasons why she wanted to leave.

so although it was cool the little time we spend, it sucks I had to meet her on her last few days :( and that she jsut left today

might see her in a month as we planing a snow trip tho

5. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

was chatting to a ex band mate via messenger and he asked what am I doing musically at the moment and my honest reply of fucking nothing made me sad to type

6. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

RIP to Anthony Bourdain. Apparently he hung himself.

I own several of his books, couple cookbooks etc. Loved his shows, his wit and dry humour. I don’t typically get bummed out over people I’ve never met, but this one stings, deep.

At the very least, I hope it was an auto asphyxiation thing, and he finished.

rifftrauma likes this.
  7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Anthony Bourdain :(

8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I read through the whole "Steel Panther Made a Shitty Patch Name and it Got Changed" thread.

Jesus Christ, no site is safe from people with dog shit opinions I guess.

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly don't think that thread was going that horribly before it was closed. But, oh well. Edit: Unless I'm the one with the terrible opinion :lol:

10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Not to resurrect the thread here but there was some juvenile shit there, you were eloquent even if I didn't necessarily agree with your points. It was one way to spend the last hour or so of my work day though. :lol:

TedEH likes this.
  11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

What really got me about that thread was that several musicians backed the toneprint as it was and the petition to bring it back had twice as many signatures the day after it was made than the one that got the toneprint taken down in the first place. I go back to that thread to post it, and it was closed.

12. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

I'm single unwillingly after 8 years, but to hell with it and to hell with her. Atleast I've got a bottle and won't be accused of cheating when im not doing anything. So guess that's a small bonus.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

My wife and kids went back home for a few weeks until I join them. I've been 3 weeks by myself and still got three more weeks to go. I get to do all the things I did before I had kids, aside going out with people as my work schedule lately has been inverse from everyone else, and it just seems so meaningless. Yes I enjoy staying late but I still wake up early. I've managed to fix things around the house and play guitar whenever I want, in normal hours, and as loud as I want.

I see them almost everyday and speak with them but it's just not the same. I've missed my sons first steps and I've had my daughter crying and saying she misses me a couple of times and asking me everyday if I'm joining them tomorrow (she's close to four). I know they're having fun most of time and have the opportunity to see the extended family more and that's the only thing that balances things out but man does it hurt some days. It's so strange but when I have them around all the time I want just a bit of free time to do my thing and wonder how cool it was being single or have no kids. Then they're away for a while and I realize how empty my life is without them.

14. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Because after 35 years Dave Mustaine still can't move on and let it go.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know how to put this exactly, but I keep finding myself on the losing ends of debates, and I'm worried they're making me look bad to the people around me. I can't tell if it's a matter of doing a poor job of communicating my points, or if I'm actually wrong, or what. In some cases it's something that either impacts me directly, or that I have strong opinions about, but I keep ending up in debates where it's several people against me, and nobody else is on my side. So I'm either "that guy with strong opinions" in a bad way, or I have to live with decisions that I don't entirely agree with.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Your opinions always seem reasonable to me, and you've always seemed to state your points here very well.

Oh crap, did that just disprove your point? :lol: ;)

Not sure if this helps, but I could commiserate. I just recently got out of a situation where I was just simply around a great number of people who disagreed with me all of the time. It become obvious, eventually, that some of the disagreements were merely because these people started really enjoying disagreeing with me. After a few years of that nonsense, some people have gone away, and I had a few moments where it really mattered that I was right, and I managed to prove myself, and things have started getting better since then. I'd say that you can stick it out and it'll get better, but probably there is an element there as well of distancing yourself from certain people who clash with you.

At the end of the day, there are people who are your friends and people who are not your friends. I guess either can agree or disagree with you any fraction of the time. Agreeing and disagreeing is part of conversation, and if I disagree with a friend (I often do), it's very rarely ever personal, and we can almost always move on from the debate in an instant. If I have a disagreement with an unfriendly person, it tends to get drawn out until I realize that the person is just never going to change my mind, nor vice-versa, so there is just no sense in debating.

TedEH likes this.
  17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

I don't think you should trip. As long as you communicate in person the way you do here, you'll be fine. People tend to respect folks who stick by their principles when others challenge them, even if it's about something dumb. And the people in your life who matter are not the people that will get judgey because you said Master of Puppets is better than Ride the Lightning, or something equally heretical.

Cheers.
    -That Guy with Strong Opinions

TedEH likes this.
  18. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

It is

:agreed:

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's occurred to me, in retrospect, that it makes sense on some level that the things that I'm most vocal about are the things where my opinion is going to differ from someone else. If there's no disagreement, there's nothing to talk about. I've also developed a bit of a habit of jumping into discussions that people already feel strongly about in some way.

I do think the part that frustrates me is that I tend to make simple statements, but then people sort of "read between the lines" and extract some kind of meaning from my statement that is far from what I meant to say. They sort of over-characterize my arguments so that they can present a counter-argument, not to what I said, but to what they think I was ultimately implying.

For context,
    What I actually said was: I don't think ROMs are a good solution to game preservation, and I think a lot of people are leaning on preservation as an excuse to keep getting free stuff. Archiving and preserving things is distinct from giving everyone 100% free access to copies of everything.
    What people interpreted that to mean was: Video games aren't worth preserving, people who pirate anything are always ethically wrong, and we should delete all archive copies of everything.
    What I meant to say is: Piracy in this sense can be a grey area, but lets not call it something it's not. The preservation effort is a legit issue, and there is an overlap, and it's worth discussing, but on a basic level people just want stuff for free, and I think we need to admit that to ourselves in order to move forward. Video games are worth preserving, but the indiscriminate distribution of every game ever for free is not really the right way to do it. Something does't have to be free to be preserved - there is a middle ground between something being lost to time, and everyone being entitled to free access to everything.

20. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Time to make some fucking bumper stickers on this one. [juts chin up, stomps one foot]

:)

lurè likes this.