Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There's still the option of a new tyre and then hand polishing the old rim (~$25 USD) or just replacing the rim and the tyre (~$100-120 USD). The only time I screwed up a bike rim, though, was when I wrecked my bike pretty badly, resulting in a broken arm as well. I know you are in Canada, and the roads are a lot cleaner than in the USA, but I've been through a couple of tyres due to hypodermic needles, shards of glass, pieces of broken machinery, etc., all that pierced through the rubber into the tube, and often times, the pieces are so small that you can't really see them, especially the glass shards.

I'd just hate to see a serious cyclist consider giving up because of what might be a glass shiv the size of a toothpick.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno how "serious" I count as a cyclist- I bought the bike off of a friend for $50 and mostly just use it to commute to work on occasion (and to go downtown on weekends sometimes), as an alternative to the long walks I was taking for the sake of saying I got some exercise in during the day. There's an argument to be made that my level of seriousness as a cyclist warrants a new wheel anyway (the rim is sliiiiightly out of shape anyway, has a bit of a wobble), or maybe a better bike to start with. At the same time, this bike (other than the back wheel) works perfectly fine and it's hard to justify the expense, given that bikes seems to be ridiculously expensive.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Because the hard drive is generally the culprit. People leave the computers on all the time, put a bunch of stuff on them, viruses, stuff like that. It's the first thing I check.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Hard drives typically turn off after periods of inactivity unless you've disabled that. The kind of person who "puts a bunch of stuff" on their computer probably wouldn't have done that, let alone know that they can. And viruses don't generally kill hard drives, in my experience. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, yeah, failed hard drives are pretty common, but it's not the first thing I assume when I hear a general "I have computer problems" complaint with no details.

Edit: Not to dig at you, I suppose it's a reasonable assumption.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Well, the hard drive and PSU are the first two things I look at. In fact, I have a working hard drive with an OS on it just to swap in and see if it boots up.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Old school computer viruses often did mess up the boot sector of the drive on which they were installed, but that could quickly be fixed by reformatting. Many of those viruses were very small files with only a few commands, and one defining command was for the virus to copy itself into the boot sector of the drive. Since the viruses were by design compact, they typically didn't check the boot sector to see if it was already there, thus the drive-killing side-effect once the boot sector spilled over into the other sectors of the medium. Modern viruses come in so many different varieties; it's hard to say what they can and cannot do.

I wouldn't immediately discount the idea that a virus might be the culprit in the event of a shorted USB socket, but check the most obvious things first - thus my recommendation of disconnecting the front USB sockets from the board.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know if any cares, and I don't know if I care if anyone cares, but the bike tire mystery seems to be solved: Basically, my back wheel is junk. At some point a spoke broke and was pushing through into the tubes which is why it broke immediately. (I don't deny that I might have caused this damage during a previous attempt, or by being rough with the bike while mad at it for breaking the first time.) Also, I hadn't through it would be a big deal, but it was pointed out that the rubber tire over the whole thing was frayed at one point, which would likely be a point of friction and also reduce the chance of success. Aaaaaaaaalso- and I knew this already- the rim itself was bent, and was beyond being corrected. I could fix the spoke and keep going as-is, but I'd still be left with a wobbly wheel that might not last very long. Sounds like a lost cause to me.

Between all of those things, repairing the bike properly and getting back on the road would add up to almost $150, if I get the shop to do it (new rim + tire + tube + labour). I decided that for a bike I got for $50, and that managed to get me to and from work for a good summer, it doesn't owe me anything else. I ended up picking up another (used) bike that's in much better shape, for not much more than the repair would have cost. I'll probably donate the old bike to a shop nearby that fixes up and re-sells bikes for cheap. I think they'd be much more likely to be able to get it running for a reasonable cost and make their money back off of it, especially if they just happen to have a rim that fits. Could be an easy win for them. And now I get to start biking to work again.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Well, my part was covered under the recall, downside is it didn't fix my issue which means it could still be my clutches, but I'm wondering now if its something on the engine side where its either not getting enough air, or something is affecting the throttle sensor. I'm gonna have to have the dealers take it for a drive and actually feel the issue to see if that might helps them solve this.

9. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Everyone knows about manspreading but what right some fat chick has to stretch her legs long and straight when I'm keeping mine neatly under the bench, especially since I sat here first.

10. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

I honestly had to google it. I don't get why people have to put a label on everything.

11. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Don't know about anything but I still can't believe someone could get mad at guys because they sit wider than women. Especially since there's a logical biological explanation for it. :lol:

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

yeah they act like we're actively trying to take up extra space. Maybe if they had a pair of testicles being crushed between their legs they'd be more sympathetic (or if they weren't constantly triggered nutjobs). Every day we move closer towards making the world in Idiocracy a reality.

13. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Even if the whole not-wanting-to-crush-the-boys angle isn't accepted, I don't think there's anything wrong with establishing boundaries of personal space. Frankly, I don't see how people don't think that standing for a short period of time is much more comfortable than spending the equivalent period of time directly pressed-up against another individual.

Of course, stupid me went from having a job that was a 10 minute walk on foot to ~90min on a train both ways. Somehow, people would rather cram-into someone else just to sit on their ass for 20 minutes in a sweaty train car than stand for the two stops.

14. Spaced Out Ace

People who bitch about moronic shit and who don't respect personal space are odd.

15. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

My cat decided my laptop was thirsty.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Your cat was trying to teach you not to put liquids near electronics.

AxeHappy likes this.
  17. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

That's the thing bottle of water was over two feet away on a shelf with the lid on. The little bastard smacked it on to the desk.

18. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

I'm sorry, but... :rofl:

19. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

That is metal AF.

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I ordered an Android car stereo from ebay a shitload of time ago. It arrived, but the display was broken. So the seller said he'd send me a replacement screen, but he never did. Or at least it never arrived. I was pissed of about that, but it wasn't the end of the world.
    So a while ago I searched again and found another similar stereo for way less. Ordered it, and it was supposed to arrive last week. But turns out they had taken the shipping address from my Paypal account instead of the ebay account, eventhough the shipping information states that it was sent to the address on I have on ebay (we moved in February and I had forgotten to update my address on Paypal). I checked the tracking, saw that the package had arrived in my city, and that it was being rerouted to my new address. That was on Thursday. Then yesterday I checked again, and saw that it had been returned to the airport post office in the middle of the night between Saturday and Sunday and was already on its' way back to China. So I called the post office and they said there's nothing they can do... FUUUUUUUUUCK!
    So now I'm hoping the seller will be reasonable and post it again, since it was basically his mistake. And I'm sure he will, those Chinese sellers seem to do pretty much anything for a positive review. And once it arrives in my city once again, I'll call the post office straight away and tell them I'll be picking it up from there myself. Anyway, I'm mostly just mad for having to wait probably at least a month more for it to arrive - I was expecting to install it today. Luckily I still have a shitty cd-player in the car at least, so it's not like I have to drive around in complete silence...

Last edited: May 28, 2018