Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Did you try USPS or Fedex before going with UPS?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

When I was at the university, a new faculty member got caught at night using the office to fax textbooks to his relatives in Russia. He got fired harder than if he had been caught disposing of a dead body on campus. :lol:

The textbook thing is a serious source of income for colleges, universities, and professors. Oh, you had Prof. Smith last semester, and you bought the two semester version of the book? Guess what? Now you need to buy my textbook so I can make another $15 in residuals off of the class. You can always sell back the book you bought last semester for one fifth of what you paid for it in store credit.

Did you know it's illegal to buy the textbook you need for your class from another country? No, it's not that there is an import tax (which there is, but paying the appropriate taxes and fees doesn't make it not illegal). So, yeah, say that they use the exact same textbook, in English, exactly the same, everything exactly as it is in the USA version, except a little note at the bottom of the back cover that says that it's illegal to possess that book in the USA - then it's illegal. Not any accident at all - these guys want their money and they will feed you to the lions if you get caught not letting them rip you off.

WTF? That's damn near 3x what I paid to ship a rather large and heavy guitar just last year. At $180 each way, it'd be cheaper to buy another guitar than to ship it two ways.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

No i didnt. But i ship a couple guitars per year with UPS and never paid more than like $90. Ive paid less to ship to places even farther than KS; granted, I usually do the packing myself and this time i didnt have a box handy so UPS packed it. But it was only $25 for packing...

I chose UPS shipping when i made the auction on ebay as i usually do.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Anything other than an ebook is a ripoff.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Pretty sure the ebooks at community college coated about 2/3rds of the physical book; but you didnt even get to keep them afterwards, so it was just a really fucking expensive rental

6. Spaced Out Ace

Most if not all of the ebooks I've used cost about 1/3rd the price of buying the physical book, if not less.

7. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I had to re-read this to be sure I wasn’t missing the “Thanks Obama.”

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Damn, I wish ours had been that cheap. Do you get to keep them though? If we had, everyone would have bought them, but because we all knew we'd still have to 'return' them, we said fuck that and just bought the physical's to keep on principle :lol:

9. NotDonVito

NotDonVito will never get his bass

UPS and musiciansfriend fucking up my bass order TWICE. UPS couldn't deliver it the first time for some unspecified reason, instead of redelivery, they sent it back to musiciansfriend, who I emailed to just cancel the order. They told me it would be refunded, but I checked the the order status and they're re-sending it for some reason. If it gets here without any issues I'll keep it. It's only a $120 rogue fretless I bought for fun, but so help me god if UPS screw up again.

10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Neighbors... just... ugh.

Ebony likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire All black guitars are cancer

I made some fresh coffee and managed to spill it all over myself.

Mathemagician and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire All black guitars are cancer

exactly. when I took Ochem 2 and biochem the book rentals would have been close to 120$ a piece at the university store. Got the ebooks on amazon for way cheaper than that. One of my nursing classes only cost me 5$ since we were actually using an anatomy app 99% of the time.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

more than "mad", its more of a rant, as I donno where else post this. but:

Do I am the ONLY ONE who figure it out that when you get out of a movie, the doors would latch and stay open if you open them fully into their latching mechanism/magnet/whatever...?????????????????

I love going to the cinema, always do, to the point of I have nothing else to watch and have to wait till next releases comes, and I ALWAYS have to come and click open the door. Like yesterday I went to see a movie and EVERYONE in fort of me pushing open the doors and holding it open for their respective partners or for the guy behind, next person ect. and like everyone struggling with the weight of the big auto shut doors. Yet Im the only one who comes, pushes the door that extra 3cm and "click"..... fucking presto!!! door stays open.

seriusly

sometimes I wonder if Im the only one with and extra sense for curiosity/wonder/common sense

14. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Roommate has now gone through FIVE bottles of my alcohol, without reimbursing me for any of them, or even telling me that he wanted to drink some. Just took my shit and downed it all.

Looks like I'm going to devote my time to a new building project: liquor cabinet with locks on them

15. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I latch them open and pretend I’m holding them for the other congregates. I bow, flex, and pretend I’m using one finger to do it.

A-Branger likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Serves you right. Should've had one already. No self-respecting alcoholic leaves his second love out to be drank by someone else.

17. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

I'm not super into drinking, myself. I love mixing my drinks and finding all sorts of interesting combinations, and it's definitely more of the "once in a while" things that I do.
    A couple months ago, same roommate had an experience that I thought would have led him to getting ahold of control on liquor consumption. So while I was strongly considering it, for a while this project just wound up on the backburner because of a good number of personal factors (Including finishing other projects).

I know I'm far more lenient of a person than I should be, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's clear that I can't trust his word.

18. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

(Apologies for the double-post)

19. Spaced Out Ace

Ah, fair enough. I was half joking in my prior comment, however.

20. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

I managed to track down a guitar that I've been dreaming of for years but the place that sells it is over 400 kilometers away. Getting it mailed to me is one thing to begin with (especially since it's freezing outside right now and I'm pretty sure those delivery trucks aren't heated in anyway) but not getting to test it first is the real issue. I've tried guitars that I've been drooling over before and they turned out to be complete disappointments.