Which affordable interface to record with amp mic'd?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Unleash The Fury, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

my primary goal (for now) is to record my ideas onto my computer. i want to mic up my amps for now without getting involved with DI boxes (yet). im currently making some noobish drum tracks using the MT power kit. i just started learning how to do midi drums and i know i have a looong road ahead of me.

but i can make some basic tracks and thats all i want to do. im not looking to make my own album (at this point). i just want these basic song ideas for myself or perhaps to send to a prospecting band mate.

so in order to do all of this i do need an interface, correct? (because what would the mic plug into otherwise)

I dont need or want the best one out there. i know i hear the scarlett 2i2 or 2i4's are good.....i was hoping to not spend $200 on one since its not real serious, its mainly for ideas. also im buying a mic like an sm57 or like that. so im not looking to spend a ton of money since im just recording my ideas. The double edged sword is that i dont one that completley sucks either!

so what could you reccomend for my need? thank you!

2. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I prefer the senheiser e906 to the 57, they sound pretty similar but the 906 doesn't seem to have the harsh top end that the 57 does IMO.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Don't worry too much about the mic, the SM57 is perfectly fine. Moving the mic 50mm in any direction can change the guitar sound a lot more than any differences between microphones.

I've been using a Focusrite USB-Interface for several years and can highly recommend it. Their drivers never crashed (Win7/Win10) and are updated regularly - something that's not done at some other companies.

4. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Get yourself a sm57 and the Scarlett solo.

You should be able to find both for right around the $200 mark.

5. Unleash The Fury

Thanks that sounds like good advice!

6. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

57 is an industry standard for a reason.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, while there are other "flavors" out there, the SM57 is the standard and the go-to in studios all over the world for electric guitar for a reason; positioned right, it'll capture everything you want in a guitar tone, and nothing you don't. It's very position sensitive so there's a learning curve, but even 20 years down the road you'll be glad to have a couple of them around, since they're at least good on almost anything, and excellent on a few things, including snare and electric guitar.

8. Unleash The Fury

Thanks. I was actually hoping to get some more advice regarding which interface to get......as i already "know" about the sm57 so it was kinda a given. But i need to know which interface to get. So far the only reccomendation is the scarlett solo, which i think i should get

9. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

I'm just here to echo the advice from Drew and lemeker. Shure SM57 and Scarlett Solo for the win 100%. They are steering you in the correct direction for sure.

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

IMO, it depends on your needs and budget.

On a tight budget and with need for only one track of audio at a time, a Scarlett solo gives you a very well-regarded and good quality preamp/digital conversion. If you have a budget that allows more, though, I'd suggest going for the 2i4 instead, since this allows you to record two tracks of audio at once; down the road if you want to try recording something like an acoustic guitar using a stereo micing technique, or get into recording guitar with 2 mics on the cab (I strongly recommend getting the hang of one at a time first, but I DO like even just a pair of SM57s on a cab, and my general approach is a SM57/MD421 these days) then you have the flexibility to do so down the road. Sweetwater has a 2i4 demo unit on sale now for $179, according to google, if that helps things any.

But, while different people may recommend different things, a Scarlett is certainly a very good option. :yesway:

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I use Audiobox 1818VSL. The preamps are not spectacular, but they are okay. The price is reasonable, and it has tons of inputs. I actually spec'd it out because I needed to record live drums, then, later on, when I needed to record an entire live band, I was pleased to find out that I could expand it from 8 XLR inputs to 16 XLR inputs pretty easily.

For recording a guitar with an amp and cab, it'd be overkill...well, you'd think. It depends on how serious you want to get mic'ing. I typically just use an SM57 close just off axis and a C3000 a few feet away, but I've done as many as eight tracks simultaneously before, to play with mic placement. You could record DI and split to the amp, then reamp more tracks later, but this is honestly rather time consuming, especially if you plan on reamping with multiple heads or cabs.

I would highly recommend getting something with more than one XLR input. The small solo artist-type interfaces are compact and work great for recording vocals and one DI instrument at a time, but mic'ing a cab, I've never been 100% happy with a single mic.

Part of my decision to go with Presonus was that I liked Studio One's workflow. I haven't been too impressed with Presonus's customer service (more like lack thereof).

YMMV.

12. Unleash The Fury

Thanks everyone for your insightful input. I think i will go with the scarlett solo. Let me get used to that first then later down the road when im more experienced i can sell it and get a 2i4 or something with more inputs.

Like i said in the OP im just looking to record tracks for myself, possibly make a rough demo tracks for myself and for prospecting band mates (im trying to specifically start/join a melodeath band and id like some good sounding tracks to send people).

Also since im a complete midi drum noob, its going to take a long time before im good enough to make advanced drum tracks well enough that i could even consider making a legit solo album. Until then i believe the solo will suffice

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Just know that this is a gateway drug purchase, and at least go into it with your eyes open. :lol:

Recording is fun. When you decide down the road to upgrade to something with more inputs, you may as well splurge a bit and spring for better preamps and conversion as well - the Apogee Element line looks extremely expensive for what it is at first glance, but it's basically the preamps and conversion of their higher end interfaces in a stripped down, simplified package, and if I only needed to record two tracks at a time (or had an 8 channel outboard preamp to run via ADAT or something) something like an Element 24 would be VERY tempting.

You'll be able to do a LOT with a SM57 and a Solo, though. Grab a mic stand as well - you can mic up an amp with a full sized one, but I have a couple variations of this I generally use on amps: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdDeskBm That and a copy of EzDrummer and Reaper, and you can do a surprisingly good job recording music on your own once youlearn how to use your tools.

14. Unleash The Fury

Thanks for the reccomendations. I that mic stand looks nice. Im going to go to sam ash this weekend and hopefully they should have all of these things i want in stock.

I had a feeling someone was going to suggest that these items are gateway drugs that will lure me down the rabbit hole, haha. Right now im using the free MT power drumkit2. Its only one kit, and i dont even think you can upload other samples into it. But the kit is good for free. Is EZ drummer worth it compared to MT just for basic tracks? Which version of EZ to get?

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've never tried that program - to you, does it sound "good enough"? If so, for what you're doing it's fine. I used Superior 2.3 for my last (really, first, as well :lol:) album, and just upgraded to 3, but unless you want to put a lot of work into programming your own drum parts, EzDrummer or, especially, EzDrummer 2 is probably your easiest way to get good drum sounds, if you want to upgrade down the road.

The only thing to keep in mind with a full sized mic stand is just make sure you can get a SM57 into close-micing position on the cab:

[​IMG]

16. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

I'm actually selling a 57 and my Focusrite 2i2. Both in mint condition, I'd sell them both to you for $200.

17. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I've not used MT, but I started with EZ drummer, it's good enough to lay down simple drum tracks, and do some editing if you want to change them up a bit. Even for a noob like me.

I also agree if you can splurge a little more I'd grab 2i2 (I use this) or 2i4. I still stand by what I said earlier. If you want a simple setup for ideas, which the solo can do and much more, there really isn't a much more reliable route to go.

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I quite like MT Power kit. It beats the hell out of what I had used before.

19. Unleash The Fury

What generation is the 2i2? Will you include everything that it came with (software, cable, whatnot)?

20. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Pm'd