Where Do You Stand On Gun Control/Second Amendment?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenjaminW, Feb 19, 2018.

Where Do You Fall On Gun Control

1. For

51 vote(s)
    71.8%
  2. Against

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Kind of off topic, but maaaan I hate the way people use the word Liberal. The way people seem to use it lately it just means "person I don't like who disagrees with me" rather than referring to someone's political leanings. I'm pretty centrist when it comes to a lot of things (I think? What do these words even mean?!) but pretty sure I get lumped in with "those damned Liberals" or "lefty"-types on a lot of topics, despite the fact that I pretty strongly disagree with a fair amount of more liberal ways of thinking. The whole setup of "sides" and "parties" I think completely throws out any nuance to political beliefs.

Coffee got cold before I had a chance to drink it? It's those friggin snowflake liberals at it again! Can't handle making coffee hot like a real man!

I made the mistake of starting to listen to the talk radio stations in the area to try to just keep in tune with what goes on in the city, and maaaaaaaaaan do they ever have a hate-boner for anything they can throw the word Liberal at.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Great! So, clearly, we need to expand background checks and make handguns harder to get, as well!

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, the literal derivation of "liberal" is someone in favor of a written code of law, vs executive rule by whim and decree. Since when is that a bad thing?

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Reaching back into my bag of largely forgotten latin vocab, I'm still pretty sure that's not the right derivation.

5. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

I was having this discussion with a coworker today. It's comical to me when people use words like liberal and progressive as insults.

Fighting the good fight against progress, I suppose!

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

After I saw figures on the "gun violence archive" for 2017 today, I'm surprised on where this debate is going. Even if intentional killings can't be stopped by stricter gun control, saving over 700 children from death or injuries and avoiding over 2000 unintentional deaths or injuries should be a good enough reason to take initiative. Feel free to call me "liberal". Besides that: the number of people killed in mass shootings is only 2.2% of the total number. No idea why that is regarded such a likely scenario...

Number of deaths in 2017 total: 15,586
    Mass shooting (people killed): 346
    Number of children killed (0-11 years): 733
    Unintentional shooting: 2,026

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, I kinda get it... In the 1200s, expecting a monarch to codify and obey written laws and have clearly deliminated limits to royal power was a revolutionary and progressive viewpoint, and the fact that the Magna Carta even became law is really kind of remarkable. But, to hear conservatives espousing constitutional originalism in one breath, and condemning "liberals" in the other, is pretty rich. :lol:

Randy and possumkiller like this.
  8. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

Way off topic but...
    A few months ago I was talking to my dad. I was talking about how modern capitalist society and medieval monarchy are becoming very similar. That the super wealthy control the majority of wealth and money and make the laws that govern us poor people while themselves being above the law (I mean come on even if these people DO get caught they never get any real punishment). He actually told me that it's the natural way and that is how it's going to be in heaven. That there will be a hierarchy with better and lesser rewards and better and lesser "seats" for better and lesser people. All of them sitting in a big circle jerk around "the throne" worshipping god for all eternity.

It just scares the shit out of me that people in the 21st century can still believe this bullshit and still think this way. People with this kind of mentality are what allows all of these atrocities against humanity to take place.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Agreed, and lets make forks harder to come by as well. Why, you may ask? Well, it's real simple. That piece of shit Abdullah the Butcher guy refused to get checked for ages. He was apparently giving people Hep C in hardcore matches where both/multiple participants in the match were bleeding, which will obviously spread disease. So where do the forks come in? Because that prick would stab people with them during these bloody brawls of his.

#Banforks #Sporksmasterrace #GetAbdullahChecked

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Forks are obviously the extreme case, but even knives are restricted where I live, and I'm ok with that. Certain types of foldable knives, or knives of certain lengths are not allowed. And good luck getting into any public event with even the tiniest utility knife. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed into a lot venues with forks or knives. I mean, you're clearly kidding, but lots of mostly-trivial-but-easily-weaponized things have at least some degree of preventative control in place.

And you can't immediately and easily murder someone from a distance in a split second (or accidentally) with a fork in any way that's comparable to a gun. Yes, you can kill someone with just about anything if you try hard enough, but the premise that a fork is as deadly and dangerous as a gun is ridiculous. Until you can provide a comparable stat for "Unintentional Forkings" to compare with this, of course:

Randy and zappatton2 like this.
  11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

SO. MUCH. THIS.

zappatton2 likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Don't engage, Ted.

He's just deflecting with old wrestling references.

Randy, Vyn and zappatton2 like this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

I'm not deflecting. Forks can be pretty dangerous. And besides, there is nothing wrong with a good wrestling reference.

Unintentional Forkings sounds like a lovely song/album title. You know, if you're an artist with a kabuki mask and wear a chicken bucket on your head.

And I also was not implying that a fork is as dangerous as a gun. Though, if you were stabbing people with a fork and someone happened to have a bloodborne disease, the disease could certainly cause some issues.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Google has banned a bunch of gun demo videos from youtube. This will lower the degree to which guns are perceived to be cool, because it will associate gun use with watching videos on Vimeo.

Mr Violence, Randy, Lemonbaby and 2 others like this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

When's the last time someone stabbed 500 people with a fork from a quarter mile away, though?

I mean, you're (I assume) clearly not 100% serious here, but I think your joking speaks to a misunderstanding of why guns are concerning in the wrong hands. They're not concerning because they're dangerous - as you correctly point out, damned near anything, even the lowly fork, can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Rather, they're concerning because they're a force multiplier; a stack of AR-15s means one person can kill or severely injure tens to hundreds of people from basically line of sight distance, while a stack of forks means one person can do mild to moderate harm to one to a handful of people withing reach, but not much more than that. They're concerning because they exponentially increase the ability to do serious harm in ways that very few other things can.

TedEH likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

"But not much more than that." Yeah, if they aren't spreading disease.

17. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

True. A single diseased forking could potentially kill millions or even billions or even wipe out the human race.
    However, you can't transmit your gunshot wounds to someone else so a shooter can only potentially kill as many people as they can hit.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Additionally, it usually takes more than 20-30 seconds for AIDS or typhoid fever to kill you. Also, considering there's no reason we couldn't be talking about diseased bullets here, I think in your scenario it's pretty clearly the disease and not the fork that is lethal - in the case of the diseased bullet, of course, the delivery mechanism is going to kill you weeks to years before the disease does, while in the case of the fork, the delivery mechanism itself is almost certainly not going to be fatal.

I'm giving you serious answers to hypotheticals you KNOW are ridiculous. :lol:

19. Unslaved

Unslaved SS.org Regular

Imagine if you combine the two and make an AR15 that shoots disease ridden forks? Youtube just removed an instructional video on how to make a 30 - fork magazine. Rats! But dont worry Negan has Eugene working on that right now.

SpacedoutAce, you do have the coolest avatar on the forum, right behind the Auryn! :vince:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    tedtan likes this.
  20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well you did turn the thread into a swamp of sadness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.