When did Les Paul Customs switch from 496r/500t to 490r/498t?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Thanatopsis, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I just learned of this last week while shopping for Silverbursts. I was really hoping for the older ones since I typically prefer ceramic magnets but the deal I got was good enough I can always swap them out. Although it sounds so good already I might just leave it be.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think this has been going on for a while. My best friend got his Les Paul Custom about 5-6 years back, just before they switched from ebony to richlite, and it had the 490r/498t combo.

He is/was a big Zack Wylde fan and I got him a set for his birthday a few years back but he still hasn't installed it. Aside from life stuff he really likes the clean sound and doesn't mind the somewhat lower output of the Gibson pickups.

Having said that I did try an Explorer with 496r/500t combo and it sounded brutal as hell.

3. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

500t is an awesome pickup, but it’s been a HOT minute since they’ve been in LPC’s. Not sure on the exact year

4. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

i had the 496/500s in a few LP classics back in the day. decent pickups. but man those 490/498s are just trash. gibson REALLY needs to put the custombuckers like they use in the r8's and r9's in the LPCs. now THOSE pickups are astounding.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I actually prefer the 498 to the 500, the 500 has always sounded shrill to me. I didn't think 500s came stock in anything other than LP Classics and Explorers.

Dineley and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah the 500t set was only in LP classics, and explorers, maybe some years in flying Vs too.

I loved the 500t in my explorer, tempted to get one of for my Les Paul that has "Super 57 Classic" in it right now.... but also thinking of going with a dirty fingers.

7. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I had a LP gold top last year that had the 490/498 and it fucking destroyed. I swapped in some other duncans and nothing was comparing to the 498 in that guitar.

8. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I thought LP Customs only came with the 490R/498T combo. They're a great set of pick ups that I have on my black Gibson LP Studio guitar. The 498T has a lot of sizzle to it's sound. I think the 498T is Gibson's hottest non-signature Alnico pick up.

;>)/

9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

This thread has basically turned in to a “how do u like the 490/498 pickups?” I thought I’d chime in.

I haven’t played a normal set in years but I own a special limited edition set that features double slugs. Personally I find the 490R to be a really musical pickup and I really like it; it can be a little bassy so I keep it further away from the strings than most neck pickups I own. The 498T however I do not like very much; I find it boomy, hard to control, noisy, and a little too sizzly for my liking. It seems to produce a lot of low mid and high mid but lack middle-mids.

Just my two cents.

Strobe likes this.
  10. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

My Buckethead LP Studio has a 500/496 set, and my 2016 SG Standard has a 498/490 set. I prefer the 500 for rhythm, but I prefer the 490 for cleans. I guess between the two guitars, I've got my ideal set. :lol::lol:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

AFAIK the LP Custom never came stock with the 496R/500T combo... just LP Classics and Explorers... which no longer currently have them. I really like the 496/500 combo... the 500T reminds a good bit of the SD Distortion.

Alex79 likes this.
  12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

My 2016 limited V has them.

13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

This! As long as I can think the ceramic pickups only popped up in special run LPs, and of course in Vs and Explorers.

FWIW I think both the 500T and the 498T are not great pickups. They're ok, but aftermarket pickups are a lot better at the same game.

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I have both and I like them. I suppose this depends on your amp and style of music. The 500T are great to play high gain rythm on a moderate channel such as the blue channel of a 5150 III.

15. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I must have remembered wrong then. I could have sworn I saw Customs with a 496/500 back in the day in Musicians Friend catalogs.

Anyone ever try a ceramic magnet swap in a 498t? It sounds intriguing.