What's your favorite "classic" console?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by CrazyDean, Aug 29, 2017.

What's your favorite pre-Dreamcast console?

1. Atari 2600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NES

8.7%
  3. Sega Master System

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Atari 7200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. TurboGrafx 16 / Turbo CD

4.3%
  6. Sega Genesis / Mega Drive / CD / 32X

8.7%
  7. Super Nintendo

43.5%
  8. Sony Playstation

17.4%
  9. Nintendo 64

17.4%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

"Retro" gaming is super cool right now. So, what's your favorite pre-Dreamcast era console? The poll is just for consoles, but add your favorite game on that console and why!

Console: Super Nintendo
    Why?: It was my first console, and I think it does 2-D graphics better than anything else.
    Game: Sunset Riders
    Why?: I have been playing this game for 20 years and can always go back to it. I still suck at it and can only beat it on easy. I still try on medium, but the final boss is super hard.

Disclaimer: There have been a lot of consoles made, and it's unlikely anyone's favorite is something like the CD-i or Pipin. So, these weren't included.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

SNES ,closely followed by ps1 for me

SNES got the edge cause it was the first time I felt like I had a close reproduction of an arcade game I loved SF2 .I could actually play the game at home with friends .it wasn't some lame c64 version of the game I loved

fav game for it is be a tie between SF2 turbo and shadow run

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

N64, then probably PS1 or SNES.
    Fave game on N64 is Ocarina of Time. second place would be Goldeneye.

4. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

voted nes...first console i owned...got it for Christmas '88...many a night spent saving a princess. zelda and rygar are epic.

second would be genesis...first system i bought with my own money...introduced to a character named sonic. a little known game worth checking out is kid chameleon.

next would be the psx...crash bandicoot is my first game...then discovered resident evil, tomb raider, silent hill, metal gear solid, medal of honor, etc.

5. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

I grew up with a Mega Drive / Genesis and a PSX, man, those were the times...
    Shinobi III and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night would be my respective highlights, although there are so many greats in both platforms I could easily choose another two.

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Voted for SNES. Even though I had an NES first and its obsolescence is obvious, I remember feeling like it was so lush and powerful when I got it :lol:. One of the selling-points to my parents was the prospect of the CD add-on extending the life of the console... which did not pan-out. Nintendo's failed deal with Sony resulted in the PSX and the failed deal with Phillips resulted in every Youtube gaming-channel staple, the "LOLZ @ CDI ZELDA GAME" video.

I think that one of the appeals of "retro gaming" is that it brings back the feeling of excitement of being around for something new. It was crazy seeing stuff like Mode7 scaling, polygons, digitized sprites, etc. for the first time. Now, system generations are just improving on already-mind-blowing performances. There's no new paradigm, just higher resolutions & frame rates.

7. Pav

Pav ???

It has to be the SNES, home of the best JRPGs ever made.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

SNES was great, but I have to go with NES, because my favourite NES games are just a little tiny bit better than my favourite SNES games.

Best NES games (bostjan edition):
    Crystalis
    Dragon Warrior 3
    The Legend of Zelda
    Pirates!
    Star Tropics
    Faxanadu
    -----
    River City Ransom
    Double Dragon (even though the Sega Master System version was better)
    Metroid
    Paperboy
    Marble Madness
    Maniac Mansion
    Ice Hockey
    Super Tecmo Bowl
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Wizards and Warriors 3 (the first one was pretty great, too. The second one was a little too difficult for me)
    Kirby's Adventure
    Batman (maybe it's nostalgia, but I enjoyed the NES Batman better than any other Batman console game pre-Nolan)

Best SNES games (ditto):
    A Link to the Past (<tLoZ)
    Illusion of Gaia
    Super Mario World (>SMB3)
    Super Mario RPG
    Turtles in Time (way better than the NES turtles game)
    Donkey Kong Country
    Street Fighter 2 (Turbo was my go-to)
    Joe and Mac (way better than the NES version)

The bad games for NES were clearly way worse than the worst SNES games, but it was pretty easy to just not play them.

9. bostjan

Actually, I owned a bunch of systems:

Atari 2600
    NES
    Game Boy
    Game Gear
    SNES
    N64
    Playstation

and a very close friend of mine had Sega Master System and Genesis (Mega Drive)

I would love to play any of those systems again, but game selection is key. The Atari had a lot of really horrible games, and honestly, the best ones were pretty limited if you were playing by yourself. My top game for that system would probably be Frogger. Maybe Space Invaders or Keystone Capers. Combat for two players, for sure.

Game Gear clearly out performed Game Boy - way better graphics, way better sound, better processing and handling, but the killer is always the game selection. You could hardly beat the games on Game Boy for fun factor. I had a few GG games I really enjoyed playing over and over - The Lucky Dime Caper (Platformer), Crystal Warriors (RPG), Defenders of Oasis (RPG), Sonic the Hedgehog (scroller), Star Wars (action), and Dragon Crystal (Roguelike). I generally preferred columns over tetris, but the two are virtually interchangeable in terms of likability. But how do those compare to Super Mario Land, Link's Awakening, Metroid II, or Pokemon? I'd say they probably don't. I'd say 9 times out of 10, I'd rather play SML than Sonic. AFAIK, there wasn't anything at all like Zelda for Game Gear. The leaves some pretty good RPGs to contend, and I really never played much Pokemon, with it coming around after I had gotten busy with life, but I'd give GG's RPG titles pretty high marks.

N64 brought in a new era, for me, of gaming. I discovered N64 at a house party - Mario Kart 64 was the game of choice and it was a blast. I splurged and bought one at FuncoLand. It was a hell of a lot less exciting without 2-3 friends over to play Goldeneye or Mario Kart, but then I got caught up in Ocarina of Time. And that was the only N64 game I played seriously. Star Wars was really good, too, but I never beat it - I came close, but by then, I was just too busy to play a game that wasn't 100% addictive.

So, a big part of it was age. Once we had SNES, I had an old B&W TV with my NES in my own bedroom, so that was what I played, 70% of the time I played a game. I had more games for that system (probably around 60 or maybe even more), and I could quietly play it without disturbing my folks.

I came very close to buying Neo Geo Pocket Color when I saw how phenomenal the graphics were. By today's standards, probably not impressive at all, but by late 90's standards, for a portable, they were fantastic. And the price was super cheap, too... but I never bought one, and I'm kind of glad, since I wouldn't have had time for it anyway.

10. Demiurge

Did anybody have a TurboGrafx 16? I remember the ads when it launched, I remember playing one once at a store, but I never knew anyone who had one and, aside from the store demo, never saw one in the wild.

mlp187 likes this.
  11. bostjan

I knew two different kids who had them. You could play your game on the TV, then, say, your mom wanted to go see your aunt. Save the game, pop out the cart, stick it in the Turbo Express, and keep playing on the car ride there. It was essentially the idea of Nintendo Switch, but ~25 years earlier. :)

12. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

Grew up with the Sega stuff, great times! Golden Axe, Decap Attack, Nba Jam, Sonic, Street Fighter, doesn't get much better!

13. Demiurge

That was a very clever idea with the size of the games and all. It's kind of funny seeing other systems' cartridges opened-up showing how little there was inside (save for the Neo Geo, of course)- at least the TG told it how it is.

With such little familiarity with the system, I did spend an inordinate amount of time in my college days trying to emulate Castlevania Rondo of Blood. After all the trouble, it's now a quick download on the Wii.

14. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I almost chose the TG as my favorite. I didn't even know about it when it was out, and I still haven't seen one in the wild. I did buy a PC Engine Duo about two years ago, and man, the ratio of good to bad games is way higher than any other system.

The important thing about getting a TurboGrafx is the CD system. Sooo many great games on to be had: Castlevania Rondo of Blood, Lords of Thunder, Ys I and II, Ys IV, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, the list goes on.

Demiurge likes this.
  15. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

For actual consoles, I loved the genesis. Nes and snes were the first consoles I had, but I just liked the controller and art style of the genesis more.

I've always been a pc gamer though. Doom and duke3d were and even still are my favorite games. Windows 95 holds a special place in my heart. I also remember a game called kens labrynth and wacky wheels. Ah, the good ol days of installing games off of multiple floppy disks.

Edit: inb4 don't copy that floppy.

16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Super NES. But man, the PS1 is literally next to it, but alas, if I can only choose one...

17. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

yesterday i had a guy trade me a philips cdi and about 30 games...anyone remember that?

got several rare cib dics including mario hotel and 2 zelda/link games that i believe are exclusive to this console

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

SNES, NES and PS1 in that order.

19. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Well... I quit playing after Tron and Tempest, so.. hahaha :lol:

Then I missed Tempest, and did a partial remake in C and OpenGL; never finished nor released. Maybe I should take it up again..

20. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I'm sorry for your loss. I'd like to have a CD-i, but I don't think it's much better than a novelty. Even when it was new, it was pretty terrible. Which model console did you get? There were many. Some consoles weren't even made by Phillips.

There are actually three exclusive Zelda games on it.