Whats the verdict on Jackson X Telly TY2-7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Asomodai, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai SS.org Regular

Hello all.

I have the chance of getting a Jackson Telly for quite a good price brand new. I have a very strict budget and I don't actually own a (Working) guitar at present.

I was wondering what is the verdict on them? Any good? I am looking for something with standard to wide string spacing, is it true that the nut width is fairly narrow for a 7? Is it a flat fingerboard?

Any changes that need to be made on it? How is the fit and finish of it? Everything aligned correctly (Pickups and bridge, huge bugbears of mine!)

Cheers gents!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

I would expect the quality to be decent the only thing id factor in as far as changing is the pickups and throw in a fret leveling and set up. Id probably say the fretwork is the most important.

3. BigBossAF

BigBossAF Kept you waiting, huh?

Personal experience so far, Jackson delivers quite quality production models (there's always lemons, but that happens with every brand I guess).

Finger board is a classic Jackson 12" to 16" compound radius, which makes necks feel pretty confortable overall IMHO, it flattens as you go higher in the neck.
    Just do the regular check for unnaceptable flaws for a brand new guitar, and if all is okay, set up and a pickup swap if you feel like it.

4. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

I've played on one, quality was absolutely great for a guitar in that price range, a pickup swap would be a good idea but otherwise it's a totally sick instrument :)

5. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

I played mine some hours again today and it's a good and nice playable guitar. Well, yeah, the pickups are "meh", the machine heads are just so-so (holding tuning really well though) but else... I really like it. Oh, it has some neckdive, but it's managable... ;)

6. 7STRINGWARRIOR

7STRINGWARRIOR jacksons4thewin

I have an rrx7, I sanded the paint off the neck and it came Alive. They use way too much paint on those guitars, kills the tone.

7. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

The only thing that's stopped me is the scale or that blue/maple would be here already. But being that crazy of a reverse headstock I bet the tension is good with a .070. I know it's not supposed to make a difference but it does. I had an M-207 and an F-207 that was much nicer, but I always favored the beat up M I had. Say what you want about physics till your blue in the face, but I know the reality.