What's the story with Troy Grady?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Stilicho, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Troy is an amazing teacher and a guy who clearly loves what he's doing. If you watch his interviews it's almost funny how quickly he'll see things - I remember laughing when Marty Friedman was pulling the "it's not about technique, play what you want to play" bit and Troy pointed out how his DWPS was limiting how he was playing things. Marty was a bit taken aback by it and then when he tried playing arpeggios differently it wouldn't work. He really is full of profound insights into guitar playing.

The Martin Miller interview in particular is jam-packed with insights into crosspicking, 2WPS and general playing advice.

2. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

All I see him talk about is pick slanting?

Doesn't everyone do that? Like isn't it natural?

3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Most people do some form of pickslanting without even being aware of it, so in a sense you’re right. However most people also don’t think about it and don’t realize what benefits or limitations their style offers, let alone thinking about how another style, used selectively, might be beneficial.

Sit down with a beverage of choice and watch the entire Cracking the Code series on YT. It’s doesn’t take all that long and is well worth it just to understand the concepts. It’s pretty entertaining regardless.

USMarine75 and Stilicho like this.
  4. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Shall be done...

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, I think it's less Troy is an amazing teacher than it is he's an amazing researcher and has a gift for analyzing playing technique and figuring out what makes it work. That's not to discount Troy as a teacher, but I think the real impressive part of Cracking the Code is the analysis into the mechanics of how a pick moves through the strings, and how that interacts with things like note choice, the way phrases land on the fretboard, and how players subconsciously optimize their lines for their picking mechanics.

TGN and Deadpool_25 like this.
  6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The slick production quality doesn't hurt either. ;)

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

They ARE very fun videos to watch, at that!

He's great in his forum, though, as well, providing analysis on member's picking mechanics. I've learned a lot there.

USMarine75 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  8. FloridaRolf

FloridaRolf SS.org Regular

I like his videos, a great insight on "minor" details.
    Weird though that the way he advertises DWPS doesn't really work for me, I can't pick shit the way I'm supposed to slant the pick downwards, I kinda lose all my picking control when playing like that.