What's the story with Troy Grady?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Stilicho, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Troy is an amazing teacher and a guy who clearly loves what he's doing. If you watch his interviews it's almost funny how quickly he'll see things - I remember laughing when Marty Friedman was pulling the "it's not about technique, play what you want to play" bit and Troy pointed out how his DWPS was limiting how he was playing things. Marty was a bit taken aback by it and then when he tried playing arpeggios differently it wouldn't work. He really is full of profound insights into guitar playing.

The Martin Miller interview in particular is jam-packed with insights into crosspicking, 2WPS and general playing advice.

2. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

All I see him talk about is pick slanting?

Doesn't everyone do that? Like isn't it natural?

3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Most people do some form of pickslanting without even being aware of it, so in a sense you’re right. However most people also don’t think about it and don’t realize what benefits or limitations their style offers, let alone thinking about how another style, used selectively, might be beneficial.

Sit down with a beverage of choice and watch the entire Cracking the Code series on YT. It’s doesn’t take all that long and is well worth it just to understand the concepts. It’s pretty entertaining regardless.

USMarine75 and Stilicho like this.
  4. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Shall be done...

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, I think it's less Troy is an amazing teacher than it is he's an amazing researcher and has a gift for analyzing playing technique and figuring out what makes it work. That's not to discount Troy as a teacher, but I think the real impressive part of Cracking the Code is the analysis into the mechanics of how a pick moves through the strings, and how that interacts with things like note choice, the way phrases land on the fretboard, and how players subconsciously optimize their lines for their picking mechanics.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The slick production quality doesn't hurt either. ;)

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

They ARE very fun videos to watch, at that!

He's great in his forum, though, as well, providing analysis on member's picking mechanics. I've learned a lot there.

USMarine75 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  8. FloridaRolf

FloridaRolf SS.org Regular

I like his videos, a great insight on "minor" details.
    Weird though that the way he advertises DWPS doesn't really work for me, I can't pick shit the way I'm supposed to slant the pick downwards, I kinda lose all my picking control when playing like that.

9. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I'm considering buying his slant picking primer. Has anyone tried it ?

I love the fact that he analyzes things deeply, but I'm hoping for a quick/to the point primer.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's a pretty good overview.

One thing I'd suggest, though, is also signing up at his forum. There's a good discussion on nomenclature going on right now, and one of the things in it is Troy is likely to drop the "pickslanting" term in future lessons, because while guys like Yngwie and Eric Johnson (where he first figured out the "pickslanting" approach) do play with a pronounced slant in the way they hold the pick, he's since begun to find that that's hardly universal and really the critical part of the approach isn't the physical orientation of the pick, so much as the trajectory it makes, moving at an angle relative to the strings so it drops below the plane of the strings on downstrokes, but then escapes above the strings on an upstroke, allowing you to easily change strings. Oftentimes a slanted pick follows from that, but really the critical thing isn't the pick, it's the escaped picstroke on upstrokes.

So, the pickslant primer is great... But, it's a concept that's evolving as Troy continues to study players' picking technique, and he has a few additional observations he's made since.

eayottes likes this.
  11. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the primer practical (i.e. does it provide exercises designed to make you improve) or is it more an "academic" analysis of picking techniques ?

12. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I bought a 1 month membership. Tom is a very interesting guy, but my god does he talk a lot before actually providing a single exercise. He reminds me of a great writer who doesn't have an editor. Great, but he'd be an even better teacher with economy of words.

13. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Having spent 4 hours on the site, I take back what I said. Once the exercises start, the pace is just great. I'd recommend it to any player wanting to improve his picking skills.

Deadpool_25, gienek and prlgmnr like this.
  14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The Cracking the Code experience neatly encapsulated in a two post sequence, there.

The seemingly taking ages to get to the point thing seems frustrating at the time, but it's why it sticks in your head.

eayottes and Deadpool_25 like this.
  15. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Do any of you know if Troy did an economy picking tutorial (doesn't seem like it, although he may use different terminology) ? If not, any advice on videos/tutorials on economy picking ?

16. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

He's never done a seminar based around economy picking exclusively, but he does long-form seminars on Eric Johnson and Malmsteen, who both use systems of picking that involve a mixture of downward economy picking (or "sweeping" as Troy calls it) and alternate picking. He's also got interviews with players who use similar systems to this (Marty Friedman, Joscho Stefan) and plays who have a really strong grasp of two-way economy picking (Jimmy Bruno, Teemu Mantysaari) and there is a full-length interview with Frank Gambale forthcoming.

EDIT: He's also done recent interviews with Oz Noy and Joe Stump, who both use economy picking. Hopefully they'll be edited and released soon

17. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

He probably never heard of downward word slanting to speed things up... :fever:

LordIronSpatula and eayottes like this.
  18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Pickslanting took me some time to utilize in all situations, particularly when I need to alt pick 3 note per string patterns, but once I did, it's pretty useful. Michael Angelo Batio apparently swaps back and forth between the two types of pick slanting like a machine.

19. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply. This neatly sums up most of what I understood after completing the pickslanting primer.

Thanks for the heads up on the interviews. I mostly focused on the pickslanting primer until now. I'll definitely watch the Bruno, Mantysaari and Stump interviews. I hope he does full fledged lessons (or "clips" as he calls them) with Gambale and Stump.

20. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I've just started yesterday exploring more 2-way pickslanting for 3 notes per string patterns.

After about 3 hours of practice, I find that I have no problem with descending runs, but ascending runs (i.e. low to high) are not natural.

More precisely, when ascending I find it hard to build speed when starting with a downstroke via downward pickslanting and switching to upward pickslanting on the upstroke on the adjacent (higher) string. If, on the other hand, I do things in reverse, i.e. start an ascending run with an upstroke via upward pickslanting and move to the adjacent string on the downstroke via downward pickslanting things are way more natural to me.

Am I an alien or did any of you have similar experience ?