What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

You're pushing whatever piece of wood you're planing against the direction of rotation. Same as you'd do with a table router...

IGC likes this.
  2. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Cheers bro! ;)

Yeah the Clarke stuff is good value isn't it? I also have their belt & disc sander. Next stop - table saw!

Walshy likes this.
  3. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Yeah, their products are great. I've somehow managed without a belt sander so far but it's also an upcoming purchase so I don't have to toil away with sandpaper on glass/sanding beams!

What I really want to find is an affordable drum sander but Jet ones seem like the only viable option I've found. That'd be a real game changer for a small shop like mine.

J_Mac likes this.
  4. warped

warped SS.org Regular

Doing a fret level on my build using the much debated 'radius block' method..
    [​IMG]

Taylor, J_Mac and KR250 like this.
  5. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I do the radius block sometimes and the leveling beam sometimes. I get great results with both.

I only used the beam for the 8 string since the radius block wasn't wide enough

warped and J_Mac like this.
  6. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

Making way too little progress to justify a build thread but I started carving contours on my Super Strat build. Hoping to get this one done before all the cold weather hits.

[​IMG]

Taylor, J_Mac, electriceye and 2 others like this.
  7. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Working on building a neck, I've got a few things going on at the moment, this one for a 6 string and another 8 string, even though I havn't started threads yet. The whole Photobucket thing really blew my posting momentum, but not my building. I have since just completely deleted my PB account and looking into other sources of photo sharing.

[​IMG]

8. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Did the glue up yesterday, this is how I'm doing neck joints these days. The neck pocket fit came out really nice. Only thing I should have done differently is that I purposely put the pocket so the neck has a slight tilt back, after measuring it out it might need about one degree more tilt to be spot on. I can mill the difference out of the body slab when setting it up to glue on the top wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

That's a very solid neck joint there. It's so satisfying when those rounded corners snug up to the cavity like that!

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

working on some explorer bodies. sparkle one is a kit body, other one is going to be an 8 string. The 8 string one is still getting carved and I haven't decided on whether to veneer the top or to use some big bookmatched pieces of flamed maple. The gold sparkle one is probably going to get with more sparkles since I didn't get the best coverage on the back.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  11. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Those are Destroyer bodies, not Explorer. >:)

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

bahh quit nitpicking :p

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Meanwhile, I'm over here calling anything with two cutaways a "super strat" :)

MrYakob likes this.
  14. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

What's controversial about the radius block method? I figured as long as your fretboard is perfectly level and your frets are pressed in properly, there's no downside. And it's quicker than having to facet the fretwire with more passes with a flat beam.

KR250 likes this.
  15. LiveOVErdrive

In the world of guitars, If it isn't what they did in the 50s, it is probably controversial. :)

But actually the radius of the frets will be slightly larger than the radius of the fretboard (by the thickness of the fret) so the outsides of the fretboard will get ground down a hair more than the center.

But this is probably a negligible amount and probably doesn't matter.

DistinguishedPapyrus and Walshy like this.
  16. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I get my best levels with the radius beam.

17. LiveOVErdrive

I mean it seems like it would be better, right? You'd have a consistent radius, whereas a block could easily go all wonky.

18. warped

warped SS.org Regular

I agree - have seen the idea poo poo'd in a few other forums. I think technically it should be better than a flat beam (so long as you don't have compound radiused board). I worked out great, this time (which is my 2nd attempt at fret level).

19. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

This illustrates the supposed problem. Radiusing the board with the same block as you level your frets with would mean that the frets get gradually lower towards the fretboard edge, like you see with the red line (the fret tops) in relation to the black line (the fretboard). Now, since fretboards radii only represent a slight fraction of the imaginary circle that represents them, you never get anywhere near the section of the circle where that would cause any noticeable problem.

In fact, you could argue that you'll be giving your guitar more correct specs because the radius doesn't describe the fretboard but rather the playing surface, which would otherwise be ever so slightly greater than that of the fretboard. But again, this minuscule difference is noticeable to nobody other than Eric Johnson. It's the difference from 14" to 14.047" of radius (assuming a medium fret height of .047").

So go right ahead with leveling with beams, radius blocks, flat marble slabs, or whatever.

Attached Files:

Walshy likes this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

I should cut radius blocks on my cnc machine in pairs - one for the fretboard and one for the frets, with the radii adjusted accordingly.

Walshy likes this.