What's going with ESP?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by behemoth4ever, Aug 22, 2017.

1. absolutorigin

absolutorigin SS.org Regular

2. absolutorigin

absolutorigin SS.org Regular

Well, no shit :lol:. Does anyone actually care about Wylde Audio? Irrelevant in this whole thing, but ESP might as well be Wylde Audio in my head as I just don't care for them :D. Obviously, I'm exaggerating a bit here.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

" a bit" might be the understatement of the millenium here :D

4. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

You asked and answered the question right there.

5. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

Yeah so maybe i didnt explain myself properly, as a teenager theres no way i could afford an ESP so the next best thing was the LTD but i still longed for the legit thing. Later in life i was able to achieve that with SV. Now when i look at an E-II it does not make me feel the same way ESP's did. ITs part of how the guitar looks, which is massive deciding factor on why anyone buys guitar. I know you love Esp, iv seen all your Posts about esp, but heres the thing. Its fine to take an objective opinion about things you like.

6. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

Your anecdote is subjective, no? Then you end by saying “take an objective opinion”. Did you mean to say subjective? Not being condescending, just asking.

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, let's be honest, most people here discovered ESP though Metallica playing them. That ESP logo (the old one) is an icon in its own right, compounded by the fact that most of us didn't have the money to buy those at the time. I don't know about the USA, but ESPs in the 90es were ******* expensive, I remember trying a KH2 through an ADA MP2 and nearly fainting when I got told the price. There was a custom V thing that cost more than a month of a very well off person salary. (12K francs in 1992, that's 2K€, with inflation it would likely reach today's customs 6K)

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yep. I'll buy an E-II if it's exactly what I want. But it won't "look as cool" as if it said ESP on the headstock.

However, anyone dumb enough to think the quality differs at all between an E-II and an old standard series probably works at guitar center.

9. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Let's say the name itself wont help against the akward feeling of spending big money on a less than excellent instrument.
    I mean, "LTD"s were called this way to make em look somehow Limited, Deluxe (and though they are not, the name still is somehow catchy, works)..."E-II" sounds more like "you're gettin a 2k second choice" ( which they are, compared to Original series, but not very smart make the thing this noticeable).

10. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

The Standard Series left us at the end of 2012. We've known about E-II since 2013. The guitars are the same, sometimes the prices are cheaper. We get hardshell cases included now.
    Seriously, it's been five years. What's the statute of limitations on crying about how your ex is gone when your new partner is here to stay?

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ask the people who still say they won't buy one due to the name. I want one of several M series right now. I'm just holding out for a reverse blade headstock. I'm only 28, I got time ESP.

12. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I don't get it either, its just a logo, if people are buying ESP because of a name on the headstock then aren't they buying them for the wrong reasons? End of the day the E-II guitars are great quality, albeit a little bland at times :)

13. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I say fuck it all, I'm just gonna sell all my pointy guitars and have an arsenal of flower shaped Daisy Rock guitars. Who's with Me??!

14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

ESP or EII on the hadstock the vintage Black Ecllipse is still the sex. Totally would satisfy my black beauty fetish and its just sooo slick.

15. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

subjective, objective, gold jacket green jacket, who gives a s%^T. I love esp, hell id own an E2 if it came up at a great price, i actually own an Edwards flying V i picked up in japan for 500$ feels better than any gibson v iv tried at stores. My point is, even though i love esp it is my opinion that e-2 on the headstock takes away some of the nostalgia for me. and since i wont be able to afford to drop 5 or 6 k on a USA or Original series, its just disappointing. Its not a personal attack at ESP lol.

16. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

Not really, its like going out to buy a ferrari but only being able to get it in standard white. But if you pay more you can have it in ferrari red. you can still buy it and drive it and it handles and performs just like all the other ferrari's great. But is the feeling when you walk up to get into it the same as if it was the iconic ferrari red. ?

17. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Nothing about this comparison is anywhere near correct.

GXPO, Ikke and Dineley like this.
  18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Maybe Ferrari should make a cheaper line called F-2, I'd get one! :fawk:

19. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

No they'll make a line for the United States market and it'll be called F-U 2. Pun intended? You be the judge.

20. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Not the same comparison.

If you pay more for the ESP over the E-II you are getting a different guitar completely. E-II is just the same as the ESP originals, that's kind of the point.

You are still getting the "ESP" only the logo is different, it would be like wanting to buy a Ferrari F360 but now its called a G850, just because it doesn't say F360 shouldn't stop you from buying it if its exactly the same car.

A better analogy would be something along the lines of, "you can by the same car as last year, for a little less but with a different badge on it, or you can spend a decent amount more, for something completely different but you will have the badge you really want".

AkiraSpectrum and jephjacques like this.