What type of guitar player are you? What's your reason beeing here?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lindmann, Jan 23, 2018.

What type of guitar player are you? What's your reason beeing here?

1. Guitarist in an actual band

46 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. Home studio one man band

75 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I just play guitar for fun at home / at camp fires

78 vote(s)
    47.3%
  4. I don't play the guitar at all...I am just a gear head

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. I used to play in a band but these days are over

41 vote(s)
    24.8%
  6. I just started learning the guitar

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. I am a professional musician

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. I am a drummer/bass player/singer/other that is interested in guitars as well

14 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. You're kidding me? I don't even own a guitar

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think I can check all but the last one, since I do own a guitar. :lol:

Primarily, I came here when I was extremely active with five or maybe six (can't remember) bands simultaneously. I started playing seven string guitars in early 1998, after wanting one for years, and pretty quickly set it as my main instrument, so every time I was searching the internet for anything related to seven string guitar, I was landing here.

I had been actually tuning up, and people here started discussing that, so I signed up for an account, finally, so I could start acting like a know it all:

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I'm mostly just a bedroom shredder/gearhead who's interested in building his own guitars. I played in some shit local bands ages ago and tried doing some solo acoustic stuff for fun, but never really committed to being more than a hobbyist.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I think it's more that the band is the one option that takes control out of your hands. I would love to be in a band again, but I'd need to find people that also want to be in a band, play drums/bass/guitar/sing/keyboard or whatever the mix is, and then also lineup schedules in an insanely busy world.

I can play guitar and keyboard/piano myself, can sing passably, have an 8 string to substitue for actual bass. so only weak link is drums which can be done fairly well via software although I have yet to try that myself.

Point is bands are something that require a lot of people buying in.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  4. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I played in a band in the early 2000's where I was essentially a hired gun for live shows, it taught me a lot about the business locally and how bad of a player I was because we had a Tascam ADAT with all of our drum tracks on it (no live drummer). I practiced those songs religiously to be tight for our shows and really started to get into synths and programming at that time as we used a lot of noises and synths in our backing track.

Now, I'm just a home studio, do-it-all instrumental "band". I would love to find some vocalists to work with for some of my tracks (or just get some pointers on vocal production so I could try adding them on my own). I am pretty good at soundscape/texture/ambient track design and try to blend my multitude of influences into a cohesive series of songs.

5. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Makes me sad to see so many people wanting to play in bands but can't find the people :( I can say a lot of negative stuff about the academic world of art and being trained like a monkey to play college funk, but it does introduce you to a lot of musicians to play with.

6. exo

exo SS.org Regular

In my particular case, I married young, started having/raising kids ALMOST as young, my oldest is 21, I am not yet 43, and my youngest will be 4 mid April....

My "tour in a band days" were done and over before I ever got a shot at it.......and while I LOVE music and playing guitar......I DON'T love it more than my wife and children, so nearly a quarter century after picking up a guitar for the first time, I STILL haven't ever played on a stage, I've had exactly ONE song published on a super underground label comp, a second being prepped, and I'm OK with it.

I never posted any of my material here because I'm fairly terrible, and really don't wish to be torn to shreds by random internet people I don't really know. I play music for "me", and not other people, if that makes any sense.....

7. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I would love to play in a Deftones cover band, but working with other musicians to write/rehearse/record original music isn't something I'm interested in doing. I'm with @exo, I write music for me and don't post when I release something new, but I've got a few releases on my BC for free.

I'd like to just jam with some local people and maybe record some of those sessions.

I agree it is sad to see so many people looking, but not able to find suitable people to work with as a cohesive collaborative unit.

8. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Toss me in with the 'Life Happened' crowd. Used to be serious about things, but now I just play for fun and acquire gear for no particular reason - except the one-man-band i intend to start recording for some day. Maybe.

Have tried to find local collaborators, but its just so frustrating trying to find people to play with that the solo project thing seems the best shot even though I don't have the time to do everything.

Smoked Porter and ThePhilosopher like this.
  9. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I think the older you're getting, the harder it gets.
    When we were 20, there were so many available musicians that we could play in 5 bands simultaneously (bostjan-style).
    But now that everybody got kids and jobs nobody had the time to play in a band anymore.
    Plus the fact that everybody is a guitarist and nobody can sing or play drums.

coffeeflush and ThePhilosopher like this.
  10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Im in a band, i tour, and i like to chat gear. I was new to 7's when I joined, and most of the members from that time have left this site. I dont own a 7 anymore and try to contribute to convos about sixes, effects and amps.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  11. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

I play in a band and tour. Came here originally for music reccs, stayed for the knowledge of gear, something that I used to always put aside to focus on my playing.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That makes all the sense in the world. It's something I wish I could convey better to non-musicians who don't understand why I don't just "switch to country and get famous, cause it'd be so easy, then you'd be living off of music, and that's the whole point, right?".

Every time someone tries to inform me that I've got the whole point of music wrong, or that I play for the wrong reasons, my soul dies just a little, for lack of a non-overly-dramatic way to put it.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  13. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

In the life happened brigade,
    guitar is my secret batman/batcave life. It keeps me sane and allows me to manage my stress,

I am a decent played , but need to take the instrument more seriously. But its tough as time goes on

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

bela-dracula.jpg
    I take it this is you?

High Plains Drifter and r33per like this.
  15. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I've been playing guitar for nearly five years but I only truly got into it for the past two. I still have a lot of misses when it comes to playing but I'm aspiring myself to write some songs and work out with some people, so hopefully I'll start my first band when the time comes.

The reason why I joined this forum is because I wanted a place to look up and discuss about guitars and gear as well as music. I've learned a lot of things from reading for the past two years, which helped me a lot as a guitar player and musician.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I've half-joked with my cousins (one plays guitars/drums/sings and the other plays bass/guitars) that we should start a country or folk band so we can get filthy rich. Sheeeeyit, I'd try and be the next Luke bryant or Bon Iver, if I had any inclination to play folksy/country stuff for the rest of my life. I'm perfectly happy being a hobbyist who dabbles in whatever genre I feel like.

17. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Am I only the only one who doesn't really care for writing his own stuff and just loves to cover songs he likes? I've been playing for more than 10 years and all I've done is learned different songs. I never once have had the urge to write something original.

A-Branger likes this.
  18. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I am the opposite, I do not like spending the time learning other peoples music, and only come up with my own stuff. I will learn pieces of other people's stuff I like, but only to incorporate in my own junk. I started playing in high school 10 years ago, then stopped about 8 years ago. Mostly because I moved and only had a loud ass 100 watt amp at the time. I was too dumb to get a different amp and didn't enjoy acoustic at the time. Most of my focus was into building cars, Jeeps, and riding dirt bikes. Just this year my wife and I had our first child and I decided, when I knew he was coming, that I would pick guitar back up. That way I had something to do in the house and not out in the garage or on the track. Couldn't be happier to be back, and I play religiously whenever I get a chance. But for me, it will only be as a one man home studio thing.

coffeeflush and KnightBrolaire like this.
  19. odibrom

odibrom .

"in a band here", the longest I've been in, we are about 3 years old, 2 with the same lineup. Not gigging yet, but it is foreseen to happen somewhere in the future. Before this, I was one more bedroom guitar player with lots of ideas and zero fulfillment.

I've been playing guitar since 1991, studied piano a few years before but never gave much attention to it. Guitar has been my rebel art, much on the self thought approach, though with some lessons here and there. Got into 7s in 2002 and never looked back to 6s.

20. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Maybe you should get with the times, old man!

Kyle-Vick likes this.