What tuning do you all like best? How often do you switch tunings?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by duffbeer33, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 working on my mix Contributor

I've been pondering this for a long time. For a number of years I played in standard/drop D, then I switched to Drop C for a band, then I bought a baritone which allowed me to mess around in drop A, A#, and even get to subterranean G# territory (and admittedly jumped on the Djent bandwagon for a short period of time). I wish I could have a more simple mind when it comes to this stuff, but I love swapping different tunings because sometimes it just helps with inspiration. However it is tough on my guitars to constantly do this and adjust the truss rod etc. I'm wondering, how often do you guys switch tunings on the same guitar? Or do you have a specific guitar for each tuning that you never change?

It's fascinating to me that bands like August Burns Red and ERRA can seem to record every record in the same exact tunings. Whereas it seems like other bands like Periphery jump all over the place with tunings. Would be interested to hear others' thoughts.

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Standard, because most of the songs ever are in it, Eb, because most of the ones that aren't are in that, D standard because that's the true home of death metal, seven string standard, seven string flat, 8 string standard, 8 string flat.

I don't like Drop-D or variants because it doesn't feel as metal to me to fret a power chord with one finger (I'm aware that this is a stupid reason).

Open tunings are fun for a minute here or there but I always find myself longing for my shapes back.

XPT707FX likes this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

E and drop D. The catchiest stuff is there. Runners up include Drop C and B standard both on 6 and 7 strings.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Depends on my mood. I was big on C standard for a while, and once I have more guitars at home (two incoming) i'll have one in E, one in drop Db (band tuning) and one in C.

Band plays in Drop Db.

5. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

I've been liking C Standard for my own stuff lately, which is great because I have a bass set up for C for my band as well.

I don't switch tunings often at all as I have dedicated guitars - one each for E, Eb, D, and C.

6. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

E, I'm a thrash whore...
    Drop D, kind of an old standard.
    Drop C, Chimaira fan here.

duffbeer33 likes this.
  7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Depends on my mood what tuning I like to play (or write) in, although I will say Standard E just always seems to 'work' most often--with Drop C# a close 2nd. However, there are days when I need to break out guitars to use in other tunings.

I have various guitars that I use for different tunings. If I need to get to a tuning I don't have a guitar for I have now started using a Pitch Shift effect in Line 6 Helix Native VST, which works quite well.

8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

My band uses drop B.

Most if not all my sixers at my house are in drop D or drop C#

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I use D standard for metal, E standard for pretty much everything else. I keep my guitars generally in one tuning.

10. Grizz2k6

Grizz2k6 SS.org Regular

I really enjoy GDADGBe. I can play most everything comfortably with it.
    Eb on my tele.

11. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

D Standard & Drop C. I have hard tails, so I can easily switch between the tunings.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

C standard/ Drop A#
    D standard/ Drop C

I once thought it would be a good idea to keep a guitar around in standard tuning "just in case". And then I never played it ever :lol:

duffbeer33 likes this.
  13. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Drop B with 9-64's or Drop A# with 10-68's on my 7 string.

Don't really switch tuning much and don't care to tune any lower, especially not with 25.5" scale.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I got all my guitars in drop G except for my 30" baritone which is in drop D (one octave down)

I never felt like tuning any higher.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I got a Drop pedal, so I mess with whatever song/riff I want to learn next :p

16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My main guitar is in drop B and my main 7 is in drop A# with a low F.

Drop B on a 6 string is like home for me, plus I have some other guitars that I'll keep in drop C or drop A# depending on my mood or songs I want to learn. Like vilk, I've tried keeping my "spare" guitars in alternate and higher/standard tunings, but I never play them much like that.

I mostly use my 7 strings for covering songs, which is how I landed on that tuning for my main 7. It's fun to play with, so I'm leaving it for now. I also have two more 7s that I keep in drop A and drop G, then I also use a Digitech Drop to get all the in-between tunings

17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Drop C is home, but I've been vibe-ing on Drop B really hard lately.
    I tune a half step down on my 7 and 8 because most of what I play on those guitars is just After the Burial stuff. I want to get a second 7 to keep in Drop A or Standard and learn some of The Afterimage's material, if that's humanly possible.

I have guitars in Drop D, C, B, Bb, and the 7 / 8 that are just a half step down.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

I'm all over the place, some guitars are in e/e flat standard, some are d standard, some are beadf#e, some are bf#bgbe (like karnivool), some are in drop b, some are agcfad (like mastodon), or a variation of that where I drop that down a whole step.
    the 8 strings vary wildly from F#standard, drop E, a half step up from standard, to some weird karnivool inspired tuning I came up with ( D#G#FA#D#G#CF).
    I play around a lot with open tunings as well.

19. Kaura

Kaura bedroom djent kid

Used to swear by drop-C as a teenager. These days I'm just too lazy to drop down and I like using lighter strings so I just use drop-D and standard tuning. For 7-string, drop-A.

20. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

4 guitars in D, 4 in E standard, 1 in E flat, 1 in C#, 1 in B.

So it should be between E and D, but I like D the most because it is where the thrash and death happen, and I like B because of that sweet,sweet depth it has. I keep some in E standard for general purposes, and C# for me is instant melo-death riffage.

I was getting tired of compromises and constant tweaking trying to make several tunings work on a single guitar, so I just got one guitar per tuning. And then a back-up, and a back-up to the back-up...