What specs for a multiscale 8?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by chopeth, Jun 26, 2018.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hi.

Going for a RAN Crusher 8 FF. The only thing I have settled so far is that it must have a Swamp Ash Body because my back aches a lot) and Maple Fretboard (All my guitars are ebony, which I love, but want to try something different). The scale will be 26,5''-28'' and the pickups, BareKnuckle.

Important: I have a EVH 5153 50w, you know, very trebblish amp so I'm looking for weightless specs but at the same time a bassy tone guitar. (Dunno if that is even possible)

1. What neck would you choose? I want something light but which darkens the tone as much as possible

2. What BKP would you choose?. Too much output is not required because the 5153 is a beast, I'm even considering an alnico or even a vintage set to compensate for the amp. I play death metal mainly but love versatility.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

honestly any neck wood that will give you a slightly darker sound is going to be relatively heavy. rosewood=can be heavy, mahogany= can be heavy, wenge=can be heavy.
    I say focus on getting a lightweight guitar, and not as much on trying to balance the sound with the woods. Pickups/tone controls/ a 10 band eq can really help balance out the amp voicing more than the woods will.

2. Holy diver would work well if you want a versatile set. Black dog is also great, but it's not as thick sounding.

3. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I'm probably totally wrong but maybe a chambered body could help

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The rosewood that's best for guitarmaking is also typically very heavy. Mahogany comes in many different species, and within those species are many different genetic strains, and within those strains there is wide variation from one piece of timber to another, but it might be your best bet for lightening up the guitar, if Ran can hand-select a piece of wood that is lower in density but still strong enough to hold together.

If you are really willing to go for it, though, I happen to have an eight string guitar that is phenomenally lightweight, but I'm thinking that Ran isn't set up to do what would be necessary to make a neck that is that lightweight.

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I was almost decided for it but have just read is very thin and ice-picky in this same forum when compared to the 57-66

Not an option here, thanks anyway.

Got it, it's obvious. I'll go for the standard specs such as maple with a couple of stripes of mahogany or similar. I'll try to get a pair of dark pickups and trust my good padded straps to ease the neck diving in case it exists (I have another Swamp Ash Ran and it doesn't)

6. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

The Holy Diver is anything but thin or ice-picky... actually I sold mine because it was too thick for my taste... well, I didn't have my 6505 then but even using plugins it was just too thick for me.

chopeth likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Exactly, the holy diver is nice and thick, it's perfect for chunking up brighter guitars. Granted, I haven't tried the 8 string version, but I think it'll work well for you.

chopeth likes this.
  8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thanks, mates, I think I'll give'em a go