What online sources inspire you as a bedroom musician?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by turbo_4i4ka, Jul 4, 2018.

1. turbo_4i4ka

turbo_4i4ka SS.org Regular

What blogs do you follow, which forums do you visit (apart from this one, of course), what books do you read, etc.?

So far, my main source for musical inspiration as far as the web is concerned is:

- A couple of posts from DIY Musician;
    - Reaper tutorials on the Viking Guitar YouTube channel;
    - You guys.

In light of this, can you suggest me other blogs or forums that frequently post bedroom musician-related content?

Finally, can you recommend a recording tips & tricks book that is mostly focused on the things you do in the digital space, i.e. no mic placement techniques, no soundproofing, just pure DAW/interface/Midi stuff?

I'm very curious to see what you guys digest online to inspire your inner musician. :)

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Cracking the Code. Very original reply, I know. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

Check out the Unstoppable Recording Machine podcast. Interviews with a ton of great producers and musicians, mainly metal, lots of tips and insights.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but I find lately the answer is anything non-music-related. The moments I feel "inspired" in any sense to play or write something are when I'm coming down from doing something entirely unrelated - going for a walk and wandering around, reading a book, video games, etc. I tend to keep notes in my phone of things that occur to me while out doing other things that eventually make their way into songs.

Of of my favorite tunes that I wrote came about from just having an old friend visit during a weird time in my life and I got a sense of "despite everything - things are cool right now in this moment", so I wrote that down and it became the core of a song shortly after.

If you're looking strictly for online stuff - I find watching drummers do playthroughs does the trick. Pick a great drummer, search some videos, soak in the performance of it.

JohnIce likes this.
  5. turbo_4i4ka

I haven't actually heard of them before, so the joke's on you! I'll make sure to check them out later, thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually did a podcast search on the topic a few weeks back, but the only thing I could find was strictly EDM-related, and they didn't talk too much about recording either.

That's actually a sound advice, I should try jotting down my feelings on a piece of paper and see how that goes.

I can totally relate to the drummer thing though - I was feeling the same way while observing Meshuggah, AAL and Disperse's drummers perform, just to name a few.

By the way, I forgot to mention that my favourite composer atm is Mick Gordon, and I've learned quite a few things from his seminars and podcasts, so I highly encourage you all to check him out if you haven't already.

Thanks again for the replies!

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Lately I've been watching a lot of Spectre Sound Studios by Glenn Fricker. Hilarious content and very informative when it comes to getting started with recording.

7. turbo_4i4ka

Agreed, Glenn's channel is top-notch stuff, and so is Fluff's.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I used to find him pretty entertaining, but after a while he gets kind of grating, and I don't find the content to be very useful. He's very strongly opinionated (and IMO not always correct), and as time goes on I more and more dislike the sounds/mixes he comes up with for the channel, so I haven't really been watching anymore.

I appreciate his channel for the entertainment value, but I don't think of him as an expert in anything.

oracles likes this.
  9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

My must haves:
    • Cracking the Code - picking technique and general techniques
    • Greg Koch (and via Wildwood Guitars YT) - bends, vibrato, "feel"
    • Rick Graham - general technique and theory, hybrid picking, legato, speed
    • Martin Miller - general technique and theory, probably best out there right now for fusion/shred/metal technique
    • Tom Quayle - general technique and theory
    • That Pedal Show (Guitarist, GigRig, Mick, Dan, et al) - not just for demos, but how to actually use pedals, pedal order, understanding how pedals interact with the rest of your rig
    • Licklibrary - general technique and theory, tons of great artists to learn from, especially the late Michael Casswell
    • GuitarMasterClass - great resource with tons of material with: backing tracks, video broken down and in slow-mo, GuitarPro and TAB, etc! Everything from theory to learning how to play songs or in-the-style-of lessons!
    • Paul Gilbert - my first "online teacher" via YT vids.
    • Andy James - very melodic and a modern tapping master! He doesn't use his pinky like the fusion guys, but shows you can still be killer and not "technically perfect"
    • All of the old REH et al videos! As long as you can tolerate 144p lol.

Other honorable mentions:
    • JTC Guitar
    • Ben Higgins
    • Frank Gambale - great for easily explained theory like chord changes and modes!
    • David Wallimann - also great for easily explained theory like chord changes and modes
    • Ben Eller - if you can tolerate him
    Basic Theory and Stuff:
    • JustinGuitar - chords, scales, modes (justiguitar.com)
    • Matt Warnock Music - jazz theory (mattwarnockguitar.com)
    Recording:
    There's a ton I have subscriptions to on YT (such as how to use DAW, mic placement, ISO cabs, and mastering), but I can't remember the specific sites at the moment lol. He may get a lot of hate, but Ola is great for basic metal recording - his video about metal bass guitar is a must watch!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  10. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Glenn Fricker is okay if you're looking for a laugh and you still find the Angry Guy Screaming At Camera On Youtube shtick funny, but he doesn't really have any quality informative content, and he has a very black-and-white view of what is "allowed" in metal recording. If you're looking to learn, there are better resources, like Nail The Mix.

oracles, isispelican and turbo_4i4ka like this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I absolutely get a lot of gate-keeper-y vibes from him, which is part of what turns me off of his channel a lot of times. Line 6 isn't the devil, hitting something with a hammer is not a review, and vocal correction has it's place in all kinds of music. :2c: It is what it is.

oracles likes this.
  12. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Exactly, and his style of making videos attracts a lot of younger viewers, who get gate-keeper-y ideas about recording from him. If people enjoy them as dumb entertainment, that's totally fine, but nobody should really be watching them to learn anything or internalizing his views about recording. :2c:

oracles and JohnIce like this.
  13. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

What usually inspires me is taking time OFF youtube. Especially recording/gear channels. They give me what I call the Pewdiepie-syndrome, which is when you become so lazy that you're watching someone else do something fun instead of doing it yourself.

The best way to get inspired is to get bored. That's it.

I'd also say that reducing "bedroom musician" to meaning "bedroom mixing engineer" isn't great. They're two mindsets for sure and should be treated as such, I think.

isispelican and turbo_4i4ka like this.
  14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Pretty much this entire post.
    To be real, the times that I feel the most motivated are when I'm listening to albums that just crush. We have 'that' handful of releases that you can only listen to for a short period of time before you feel like you just have to play.

turbo_4i4ka likes this.
  15. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Certainly not. But the Spider line absolutely is. :lol:

16. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

Guitar Interactive magazine can have some cool stuff in it. Their columns each month are usually good, provide free tab and video and they in depth gear reviews.

turbo_4i4ka likes this.
  17. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Ben Eller is one of the best teaching channels, he breaks everything down from the notes themselves, the theory behind it, and the technique. I've seen paid lesson packages that are less helpful and organised than what Ben does. Ben's "this is why you suck at guitar" series has helped me, and tons of other people realise we were making mistakes we didn't know we were making. Troy Grady/Cracking the code is great for this too. Honorable mention to Paul Ozz as well.

That Pedal Show is always a must watch for me as a huge pedal nerd. There's a LOT of information in there, it can be a little tedious for some people because of how much info is being tossed out, but it's invaluable IMO.

I strongly disagree with Fluff and Fricker, I think they're two of the worst channels out there. Fluff's demo's are usually garbage, with particular highlights being his precision drive demo, and both his most recent fuzz demo vids. Glenn looks like he should have Charlie Brown style stink waves emanating off him, his "angry old man yells at camera" schtick is borderline unbearable, and I find a lot of what he says is nothing more than opinion he spouts as truth, and unchallengeable truth at that because "Glenn knows better".

turbo_4i4ka and sirbuh like this.
  18. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

turbo_4i4ka likes this.
  19. squids

squids .

in terms of inspiration, i know some of you guys are going to hate this but Kevin Parker/Tame Impala is pretty awesome, the guy writes/records every instrument and just hires people to play his music live. Makes me want to get more serious about actually finishing music, as odd as it sounds. Ive never been one for watching a lot of tutorials and how-to type stuff as i like to figure it out on my own, just felt like sharing.

turbo_4i4ka likes this.
  20. turbo_4i4ka

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming! So far, I've only had the time to listen to a few episodes of the Unstoppable Recording Machine podcast (Mixcrit Monday in particular) while en route to work, and I absolutely love the mix analyses given there.