What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I've been looking at a Bludotone Hi Plains Drifter for a long while now because I think the 150w SSS is probably my favorite clean tone period.

If I ever get one, I'm going to make a demo video.

I'll be running ny stock Metal Zone in to the front and Power Amp while playing my S8. Second video will be with my DS-1.

narad, StevenC and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

:yesway:
    I like the blues, I just don't like dadrockers that act like it's all there is musically.
    Hell I like a lot of country just because I like their riffs. sadly some older guys are the musical equivalent of shouting at people to get off their lawn. If it's not SRV/BB King/Bo Diddley/etc they get cranky.
    Funny thing is, i made a metal zone video with my 8 string and it's one of my most watched/hated vids on my channel :lol: I made it just purely to show some people on here what the metal zone sounds like with an 8 string.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

the big contemporary one, like the avatar contemporary or a big ass orange cabinet, closed back

it's massive, seriously 2 of these would be waaaay overkill, but cool looking like almost 4 feet of unnecessary cool looking, hell i might buy another randall 125 cabinet (2x12/1x15) and have the randalls on top of the 2x12s, for maximum i need a life setup

ciao

The906 likes this.
  4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

---------- Comments -----------

2/8/15, mojodadrock54: Sure, he can play a million notes a second but where's the feeling? There is no emotion here, he's like a robot. If you really know the instrument you can solo with only one note -- just ask Neil Young.

5. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I've just been through a crazy amount of amps in one week:

1. Marshall 1981 JCM 800 2203, had a blown transformer, so it was returned straight away. Major let down.
    2. Marshall DSL100H, which was super impressive this time round. Keeping this one around.
    3. Jet City 100 LTD, which I'm a fan of in general, got it too cheap to pass up. Plus loving the white faceplate on this model.
    4. Bogner Shiva 6L6, which was great, insanely touch sensitive with an incredible master. Just not my sound.
    5. Marshall Vintage Modern 2466, basically the total opposite of my style of amp. But still a cool concept if the heaviest thing you play is 70's rock.

I've got a Fryette Deliverance 60 on route now :)

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Keeping a Marshall DSL100H over a shiva though? - what's the world coming to! Maybe the 20th anniversary shiva would have fared better.

7. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I'm not keeping one over the other. The DSL is a rental, and I picked up the Shiva as I wanted the matching OS 212 cab it came with. I've played a Shiva before and it's just not my sound. Great amp, but I always knew I was moving it on in favour of the Fryette, which is one of my favourite amps.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Just check out my replies over at TGP and you'll see I'm an equal opportunity hater lol. I don't think 3-note-per-string runs at light speed are any better musically than seemingly endless legato, nor any better than 2-notes-per-string runs with bends and sustained vibrato.

Personally, I think jazz sounds like musical diarrhea... It's just a steaming pile of loose notes splashed all over the place. But, I love jazz theory and I can certainly appreciate the talent of guys like Benson.

Then there's the foundational aspect. Guys like Jason Becker grew up listening and playing Neil Young and Eric Clapton. Hendrix was influenced by pedal steel playing. Every Swedish death metal band grew up loving Survivor. And I think Marty grew up listening to Japanese crickets or some such... Yet we don't generally associate their music with their influences. So what I'm saying is Blues, Jazz, Classical, etc are foundational aspects of music. I just don't know how a musician that loves music can throw so much shade at a Keith Urban or John Mayer solo, regardless of your favorite genre. Subjectively, you may hate their music, but objectively they are talented. :2c:

9. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Grateful Dead catalog not-withstanding....:lol:

10. KnightBrolaire

i'm basically of the mindset that if the riffs/music speak to me, then i like it. good riffs are good riffs, regardless of genre.
    i hated most jazz (especially fusion) for a looooooong time, partly because of the weird phrasing choices from guys like holdsworth and gambale/greg howe. they all sounded like elevator music with occasional interludes of angry robot sex. then i found django/wes montgomery/guthrie govan/brett garsed, who all manage to keep the music more melodic and less saxophone solos transposed for guitar. I can appreciate the technicality and theory usage, but it means nothing to me if I can't enjoy the song as a whole.

barring some guys like nick johnson and joe bonamassa/derek trucks i think blues is a stagnant "genre" anymore. all the players that interest me usually play with a mix of techniques/sounds not limited to one genre.

USMarine75 likes this.
  11. USMarine75

I generally agree with most of this. Check out Greg Koch if you haven't already... he's certainly a mix of techniques.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  12. USMarine75

YES! I guess we're all allowed to have some irrational and over-the-top hatred in our life... and mine is reserved for the Grateful Dead! lol

NorCal_Val and The906 like this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

i have never gotten the hype for the grateful dead. i think they suck.

14. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

New tubes for the sig:x as I have gotten just about all the life I can out of them. They sound like complete shit, lack volume and were glowing extremely blue.

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

AC30HW head and 2x12 cab incoming.

Deluxe Memory Man and a Tube Driver next and that'll just about be the dad-rig complete

16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

EAAEF4BE-7D23-4327-9372-5B4864C0D53B.jpeg

I’ve wanted one of these for a while, but I guess they weren’t very popular, since I barely hear about them now.

Saw a store had them on sale, and that was just it. I feel obliged to do some metal clips when it arrives since there’s like one good metal clip out there.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think the kickstarter taking so long soured people on them

18. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

I needed some proper headphones (was using cheap earbuds) but yea I ordered some Audio Technica ATH M20x from my local guitar shop, really good and a obvious step up from what I had.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So uh

Change of plans.

[​IMG]

A Japanese-built LTD EXP-200 popped up out of no where.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  20. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Will be here in a couple days

image2.jpeg