What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Had the Entwistle neodymium pickups. They were okay, but the guitar was pretty dead. Might try them again.
    The pickup in the guitar right now is actually a Dragonfire. :lol: Dragonfire covered screamer bridge, Pure Vintage middle, and GFS Fatbody nedck.

Never heard of Warman. I just heard a lot of good things about Irongear, so I was think about giving them a shot.

I wonder how the Irongear Steam Hammers compare to the GFS Hex Screamers?

I was also considering GFS again as well. Checking out the Crunchy Rails, which seems to be a budget take on the L500XL, or an L500XL meets X2N.

And if all else fails, I always wanted to give the DiMarzio Super 3 a try.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I was a big fan of the entwistle hdn bridge and the dragonfire screamer neck. they pair really well ime. I actually sold that set to @kindsage
    Never tried the steam hammers or the hex screamers so I can't help you there.
    I was never a fan of the crunchy rails, it seemed pretty weak outputwise compared to the power rail. The power rail was a lot more my speed but ymmv. the power rail is more x2n like afaik.
    super 3 is fun for butt rock/stoner/sludgy stuff like The Sword, High on Fire, Clutch.

3. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I put in an order with likemypedals for a custom dual overdrive for my Nano board.

It will be a Prince Of Tone style Bluesbreaker circuit on one side and a Jan Ray style Timmy Circuit on the other. Clipping options for both sides and an order switch.

I am just getting a White enclosure, no graphics, with white knobs. He does lots of awesome Graphic stuff though and if this order goes well I might get him to build me something crazier!

Price was super resonable and his work gets good reviews so Im pretty confident I will be pleased when it gets here.

4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I might grab one of those new run pearl white ormsby sxs. They are pretty classy I think.

5. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I'm contemplating some a Fluence 8 string set and some Focal Alpha 65s to replace my Gen 1 Rockit 5s with bad caps.

6. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

PCB showed up!

[​IMG]

Aaaaaand I blew it

[​IMG]

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

What happened? Did you toast that resistor in the middle of the pic next to the diode?

8. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Bingo. I'm not sure if the diode is in backwards or what, gonna be testing everything tonight when I get home from work.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

The diode is the right way around, if it weren’t you just wouldn’t get any sound but nothing would be damaged, voltage wouldn’t make it any further into the circuit than the diode (I made that mistake when I built mine, huge pain to desolder, be careful not to damage the solder pads when you remove the resistor).

The dc power looks wired correctly also (not that it would matter since resistors aren’t polarised). What voltage adapter did you use? That 10 ohm resistor is the first one in line from the power jack. Maybe it was damaged when being soldered in.

If you have a multimeter, try measuring the resistance of the resistor, if there’s no continuity at all, you’ll know that’s definately your problem.

stevexc likes this.
  10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Check for shorts also. It kinda looks like a small solder hair coming off the top diode solder joint to the left. Usually a burnt up resistor like that is because you have a short right after it, across + and ground.

stevexc likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

I might give the HDN another try if I'm not pleased with the Screamer. I remember really loving the screamer, though. I have a clip I recorded with it and it sounds beastly. That and I had an (uncovered) Screamer in another guitar and it was one of my best sounding fiddles, to be honest. :lol:

I tried a Guitarheads Megametals, which looks a lot like the GFS Power Rails. And while it had a lot of output, it was pretty bland. Nothing to write home about. :shrug:

I've always been super ( :D ) curious about the Super 3. I've seen a lot of love for it, but I've also been told it can be really dark with not a lot of bite. Which sucks, because I love bite. I like a lot of high mids and treble.

12. KnightBrolaire

yeah the super 3 seemed darker than I was expecting, if you want lots of high mids and treble maybe try the super 2?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Had both. The Super D had some great growl and bite, but an uncontrolled low end. And the Super 2 oddly didn't feel tight? Had less low end than the Super D, yet didn't feel any tighter.

14. KnightBrolaire

:shrug: the only other pickup that I can think of from dimarzio with good upper mids would be the evo set

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

After some debate, and finding some clips, I might give the HDN another try. We'll find out tomorrow if the pickup in there sucks or not :lol:

16. E.H.

E.H. SS.org Regular

I just ordered the Precision Drive, really anxious to get to hear it in front of my Powerball. Does anyone have PD and how does it compare to, say a tubescreamer ?? does the built-in noise gate work?

17. KnightBrolaire

E.H. likes this.
  18. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Debating whether or not to sell some stuff and jump on a TC-100, or a JP2C...and which to choose from!

cwhitey2 likes this.
  19. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

The Engl amps I've tried already had a noise gate built in as far as I remember and adding a drive in front didn't do anything beneficial to the sound for me.
    So I don't see how a Precision Drive would add anything useful.
    But in general, the Powerball is my least favourite amp, couldn't get a really good sound out of it, so if you bought a Powerball you might have a different taste than me.

20. E.H.

E.H. SS.org Regular

Haha thats funny, i absolutely love the powerball sound for sevenstring metal chugging :D but theres no arguing about taste preferences i think.. Anyhow i found the answers i was looking for, thanks to KnightBrolaire