What is your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Ben Lorentzen, Jun 5, 2018.

1. metallic1

metallic1 SS.org Regular

Seeing the original Black Sabbath lineup 4 years in a row at ozzfest in the mid 90's, and being front and center at type o negative at toads place in new haven ct..

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Kinda hard to narrow it down to just one, but I can at least narrow it down to a small handful :lol:

2012: Van Halen with my dad. He got me into the early VH stuff as a little kid, gave me his '78 vinyl pressing of Van Halen I, and still texts me every time he's out and about and hears a VH song on the radio. We've really bonded over the years over their music, so finally seeing them live was a huge moment for us. David Lee Roth had recently rejoined the band, and Kool and the Gang opened, so that was extra fun :) we saw Van Halen again in 2015 with Kenny Wayne Sheppard, which was a great show as well, but that first time around was just special, ya know?

2011, Saturday, March 5 and Sunday, March 6: Periphery followed by The Ghost Inside and Parkway Drive. That Periphery show was on the tour with Fair to Midland when they disbanded and the other bands were too sick to play, so the promoter put together a last-second show with a few local bands and Periphery headlining. Tickets were $5, so it was a no-brainer for my dad to tag along to the show rather than just drive me there and hang out in the parking lot :lol: the following night was Parkway/TGI and I had a big group of friends that I went with. Deep Blue and Returners were both still fairly new and both bands played all of my favorite songs. Got to chat with Vigil for a few minutes at their merch table and Winston gave me the mic for a second during Romance is Dead. Basically the best weekend ever for a high school djent kid :D

2016 (x2) and 2017: The Color Morale featuring me, crying in the front row :lol: TCM has meant a lot to me since high school and got me through some times, so seeing them and screaming along to every song is always a great moment for me.

2016: Yellowcard on their farewell tour. This was my first time seeing them and they played every one of my favorite songs from the entire catalogue. I went with one of my best friends, who actually got me into Yellowcard in the first place. We actually happened across their violin and bass players on our way back to my car and got photos and a short conversation with them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Runner up: Both times seeing Heaven and Hell :dio:

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  4. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Probably my first Dream Theater show back in 2007. I had just graduated from high school, and went with a friend to see them in Chicago at the Rosemont Theater, which I recall being a great venue. We were in the front row of the balcony with a perfect view. Mind was blown.

FINALLY seeing Symphony X in 2013 (14?) is a close second. They're crazy good live.

5. Grumul

Grumul SS.org Regular

Wacken 2009. In Flames were playing and it was hot as hell. During their set it started raining a little. I wouldn't even call it rain but you know how the air right before rain is. It was all stuffy so even that little bit of rain was a slight relief. Then during a few seconds break in a song lightning struck in the horizon right in the background behind the stage and thunder came rumbling right as the music kicked in again. It was surreal. Thing is though I could never find it on youtube or even a mention of it. I think I even asked the chick I was with if she remembers it and she didn't. Starting to think that I imagined it all. In Flames also had fireworks at the end and everyone remembers that. Maybe people think that once in a lifetime coordinated lightning, thunder and metal show is less impressive than fireworks, idunno :ugh:

Heaven and Hell that year were very good as well. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly impressed since it's not exactly my type of music.

6. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

Slipknot's Iowa headline tour, front row!

duffbeer33 and BrailleDecibel like this.
  7. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

My first show was Motörhead on their 30th anniversary, that was amazing for me. Saw KISS a couple of years later, so much fun. Mr. Big on their reunion tour was also pretty awesome, as was Slayer in 2008. Best I ever saw was probably Dweezil Zappa playing one of Frank's records in its entirety.

8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

And Rush Clockwork Angels tour... hmm and now that I think about it King Crimson, and back in the day Dokken opening for Aerosmith was awesome as was White Lion on the Pride tour... I have seen a hell of a lot of good shows :lol:

And Holdsworth was amazing and on a different track Savatage on the Gutter Ballet tour killed it too... and Satriani is amazing live... and Kiss is just an experience all its own

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Mine is not nearly as interesting as some of the stories here, but I was able to attend a home concert with Bucky Pizzarelli and Howard Alden. It was incredible being able to spend time with them. A few months later they were playing at a community college and they remembered meeting me. Two guys I have huge admiration for, and two guys that are as down to earth and nice as you could ever hope.

10. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel You believe that happy-crappy?

My highlight is my second time seeing American Head Charge along with Motograter with my brother. Motograter was ok, no original members left, but they still did alright considering that. AHC, however, totally destroyed the place...it was a pretty small venue, and getting to meet most of the band before the show and watch the show that close as they put on such a great set, even doing some deep cuts they hadn't done at other shows on the tour, really made it a special experience. I still have Chad Hanks' (may he RIP:metal:) bass pick from the show to this day.

Runners-up would be seeing Dope/Twisted Method, or KoRn/Mudvayne/10 Years

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Dad took me to see Kid Rock/Saliva at Memphis in May when I was 13. That was in 2002. First concert and with my father, so that was a pretty cool time. Most recently would be Ghost live in Memphis. Perfect blend of show, atmosphere, comedy, and music.

12. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker "AN IDIOT"

Got to play a show with just my band and At The Gates in 2013. People could not have cared less about us, so it wasn't the best show on our end, but I got to watch one of my favorite bands of all time in another country for free :D

KailM likes this.
  13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Visuals: KISS - Guess they're hard to beat. Not a fan of the music, saw them in a festival and their entrance was just stupidly overdone
    Crowd egagement: Babymetal - Yuup. Saw them in Paris for their first tour in a small-ish venue, crowd was mental. Show sounded reaaaaally good, which helped. No pop sound here, balls to the wall metal guitars.
    Keeping a good live show over the years: Maiden. Doesn't need a lot of explanation. Going to see them on the 6th of July again

Best one-shot: Judas Priest, Dublin, 2009. (I think)
    Excellent sound, and the venue was more wide than long so everybody was reasonably near the stage. Halford had a good evening and the performance was stellar.

Best Festival: Wacken. Because, running water and clean toilets. Really. And a beer bar every 15 meters, all right. And the "all you can eat" german breakfast for like 5 euros in town. Enough breakfast to cushion one day's worth of beer.

14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Seeing Sentenced around 2000, Devin Townsend in 2012 (I think?) And opeth in 2008.

And there has been some great bands on more ug festivals like uleåborg festival of psychedelia (deep space destructors, multishiva and so on) and last weekend I saw KYPCK for the first time and it was incredible! Like holy crap levels of incredible. Atmospheric doom metal sung in russian while sun was slowly setting down, what's not to love?

15. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

I saw Black Sabbath at Ozzfest Knotfest a couple of years ago and I remember the bells were playing for the intro to Black Sabbath and as soon as that first note kicked in a huge gust of warm air swept over the entire lawn and I just remember my buddy and I both gasping (we were pretty stoned) it couldnt have been timed better, it felt magical.

Another great moment was seeing Iron Maiden back in 2013 at the San Manuel Amphitheater and singing the woahs for fear of the dark with thousands of other people was surreal and also wondering in between groups of friends when Aces High played and some random guy wrapped his arm around my shoulder and took me into a pit for the whole song, I wasnt even mad, for 5 minutes that guy was my best friend.

Last one would be Summer Slaughter 2011 when powerglove played and threw out inflatable swords and axes into the pit and there were dudes LARPing out a battle with them, one of my buddies managed to grab a hold of a sword and was the last one standing hahaha

16. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Permanently Tired.

-1st ever gig, 1998 Ozzfest, starting your gigging life with Pitchshifter followed by Fear Factory, and ending the night with Sabbath is pretty damn epic :)

-The Damned's 40th Anniversary at Royal Albert Hall, my all-time favourite band. Amazing night from start to finish.

-Ministry 2006. Al, Joey Jordison, Raven, Tommy Victor, Mike Scaccia and John Bechdel.....that's a f*cking supergroup right there!

17. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Guns N Roses 2017 - Finally seeing Slash, Duff and Axl together was something I never thought I'd get to see.

Mr Big 2018 - I grew up in a small town in Canada and knew they'd never play anywhere near me. Fast forward to last month, got to see them in my new(ish) home in Melbourne. Paul and Billy were unbelievable!

Hot Leg 2008 - Again, living in a small town The Darkness never played near me... I was planning a post high school trip to Europe and Hot Leg was touring so I made sure to catch them. Justin delivered, amazing guitar playing and they played I Believe In a Thing Called Love.

18. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Failed stage dives. Any time, any show, anywhere. Always great moments.