What is your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Ben Lorentzen, Jun 5, 2018.

1. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

1. 1993 ? Richfield colliseum (arena) 15 years old? First concert ever walking into PRIMUS playing Blue Collar Tweekers , opener for Rush - Counterparts tour. Just an epic experience!

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Seeing Devin Townsend on his first headlining tour in 2011 (I think... You can find it in the why are you happy thread :lol:) , 2 things happened.
    1. During one song he came in really close and I was front and centre and got to touch his sweaty bald head and hoped that some of his greatness soaked into. A bit gross looking back :rofl:
    2. During the sing The Greys, during the bridge when he is singing "it's beautiful, so beautiful" I locked eyes with him and mouthed "so beautiful' and he nodded into the mic and said "it is" and I just about peed a little.

Another of my favourites was seeing The Ocean in Toronto back in 2014 at a pretty small intimate show where they played all of Pelagial front to back and encored with Origin of Species and Origin of God. Those were the 2 songs I knew the words to confidently and was front and centre again and Loïc shoved the mic in my face and I got to yell "who made your architect" so that was rad. I always see when someone gets to sing a line for a band.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  3. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

1: First concert: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son tour

2: Body Count, Metallica, Guns n Roses. After Metallica, Guns was up next. Axl, being Axl, didn’t come out on time for whatever reason. Crowd got antsy. Girls started flashing - epic boobie fest projected on the huge screens for at least 45 minutes.

3: Dimmu Borgir, Hypocrisy, Nevermore in a tiny bar in Kansas. I know they get a lot of crap, but Dimmu slayed.

4: Skid Row opening for Motley Crue (if I remember correctly). Sebastian had such stage presence.

5: Gojira: Amazing.

6: Pantera during Great Southern Trendkill tour. So glad I got to see Dime at least once.

Shit. I’m old.

4. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

fuel the sarah kirsch band or fuel the shimmer band?

5. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Sounds more like an orgy than a show.

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

1st show I went
    Iron Maiden '92

Favourite just to say one
    Tool '06

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well, my first proper show was Metallica in Gothenburg 2004, and that was pretty massive. Slipknot was opening for them, and they were pretty cool live too, even though I didn't really like them on CD back then.
    Then there was the Amoral farewell shows (first when their vocalist left the band and a bunch of years later when the whole band quit), both shows were really awesome. I'd have to say the last one was better of the two though.
    Then I saw Iron Maiden in 2013, they had a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son theme on the show, so that was pretty awesome. And well, Maiden is just awesome either way.
    I went to a shitload of shows around 2010-2012 because there was a local metal bar that had free entrance until 22:00 (10 pm) even when there was a band playing, so I always went there like a minute before 10 and just sat around until the band started playing. One show I really remember is Profane Omen - I was the only customer at the whole place, so it was like a private show for me :lol:

Oh and the Dimebag Beyond Forever tour (lots of guys from big Finnish metal bands playing Pantera songs and donating the profits to charity) also stopped by at my town one year, that's as close as you can get to seeing Pantera live these days and they were just killing it.

8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Shimmer!

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I really, really like the Sunburn album. I saw a few years later that they like, ran a contest for a new lead singer and kind of dismissed them. :( Sunburn is still great, though!

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

First show was a Metallica Gig, and been to several afterwards, but the one that stands out most is Gojira touring with lamb of god and trivium. LOG and trivium were ok, but the size of the club and everything else made Gojira’s set fucking AMAZING. It helped that we were right next to the sound desk, so everything was phenomenal.

Second place would be BTBAM and Devin last year. Great show

11. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Metallica's Damaged Justice tour (supporting ...And Justice for All) with Queensryche opening (supporting Operation: Mindcrime).

I wasn't all that familiar with Queensryche at the time, but they kicked ass and won me over, Revolution Calling in particular. Then, Metallica came out and played a best of Metallica set (this was in 1989, so there was no sellout Metallica of the 1990's or WTF Metallica of the 2000's yet), playing so loud they knocked the acoustical paneling off the ceiling of the arena - you could literally FEEL the music. :lol:

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Double.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I wish I would have seen Metallica sooner. I saw them play NYEY2K in Detroit, and they sounded like the the sonic equivalent of television static. Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, and Sevendust played the same show, and all sounded at least decent, so it wasn't just the acoustics in the arena.

Here's a clip from the concert:

This actually sounds a lot better than I recall. I wonder how it was recorded - I wouldn't be surprised if this was off the soundboard. The crowd was so ear-bleedingly loud, that I could hardly hear the music.

14. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Most amazing concert I've ever been to was when Allan Holdsworth, Virgil Donati and Jimmy Haslip performed at the music school I teach at. Got to hang out quite a bit with those guys, top notch gentlemen. Between the beauty of Holdsworth's playing and the sheer brutality of Donati I was pretty much stunned for a few days. :D

bostjan likes this.
  15. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

Totally agreed on that. Used to see them in Lancaster, PA at the Chameleon club. Brett was a great performer

technomancer likes this.
  16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Got a hand job once in the calmed-down pit of a Godsmack show during "Voodoo". :lol:

My first concert ever was the F.U.C.K. Van Halen tour. I was pretty young and short, and the person behind me tapped me on my shoulder and told me it was OK if I stood on my seat to see better. A couple years later, my guitar teacher and I realized that he was that guy at the Van Halen show. So not a highlight then, but a highlight later. Although...a few more years later, I realized that he was a really really shitty teacher, sowing the seeds of bad habbits i've carried on for 25+ years.

At a Type O Negative show, I was hanging out in the back, when an old guy I was talking to back by the bar said that he was there with his daughter and one of her friends. They were only teenagers, so he didn't want to let them go into the pit without supervision, and he said he was way too old. He asked me, if he bought me a couple of tshirts, if I would keep an eye on them if he let them go in. I said "sure", and we all went into the mosh pit. The moment one of the girls, who was likely between 13-16, got up on top of the crowd, every guy within arms reach started trying to grope them, and pull off their clothes. The moment I saw what was going on, I forced my way in, and wrapped my arms around her mid-section trying to get the best grip I could, to then fall on my back to the ground to pull her down from above the crowd (if you're getting body-passed, the quickest way tot he ground is to try to sit up. Your lower surface area makes you harder to hold up, and your but usually forms a wedge headed towards the floor. I pulled her down, landing on my back and breaking her fall. She thought I was one of the gropers and elbowed me in the face, before rolling off me and realizing it me. She was crying, her friend was crying, both ran back to the dad proclaiming they never wanted to go back into a crowd like that, I got a new t-shirt to soak up some of my fresh nose blood.

The first time I went to a concert on my own was the Megadeth Cryptic Writings tour. It was the first time I went into a mosh pit. It was so great! When someone noticed my shoe became untied, a couple guys held back the other people so I could get it tied, and offered to toss me up on top of the crowd. When I crowdsurfed towards the back, and the crowd thinned out, I almost got dropped head-first backwards, but two people caught me by my calves and held me up until i could get my hands planted to let myself down. Ha! Very polite.

17. toolsound

toolsound SS.org Regular

Great topic! I like reading these.

1. Getting a hug from my favorite guitar player, John Browne (Monuments).

2. Making my first alcohol purchase in Canada, at 19, and partaking in my first mosh pit while watching Chevelle (and meeting the band afterwards)

3. Jim Sheppard (Nevermore) taking extra care to give me a pick as he left the stage.

4. Hanging out with Jon Rice (Job for a Cowboy/Behemoth) at a show.

5. Seeing Tool for the first time, at the Paramount (Seattle) - just an epic show all around

6. Getting absolutely crushed in the pit @ my first Metallica concert

7. Having my Dream Theater experience partially ruined by some guy vomiting on the floor behind me right before the show started.

8. Attending the NFL kickoff show in Seattle and watching Soundgarden from right next to the stage.

18. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Right now I'm tempted to say "the first time I saw Iron Maiden". Which was last sunday :D It was an amazing show, great setlist, all those giant backdrops, Steve & Bruce running around on stage nonstop for the better part of two hours. Killswitch Engage opened for them, which was a weird choice to put it mildly :D but I loved it. Adam (KSE) suddenly dissappearing from stage before/during "The end of heartache", only to walk straight into the middle of the crowd to play there... great memories :)

There were many great concerts, but I think the one that stands out the most for me would be Twelve Foot Ninja in my hometown of Münster last year. Been a massive fan ever since someone posted "Coming for you" on this very forum, so when they finally announced they were coming to Europe I was stoked... turned out they played two shows rather close by, so me and a good friend whom I had gotten into the band went to both gigs, only to hear a handful of months later that they would be returning AGAIN, playing in the club that I had basically spend half my weekends of the last ten years in, had been working at for almost ten years as a barkeeper... the two of us and her best friend got us VIP tickets (3 of the 4 that were sold for that show :D ). Got there early, there was some kind of outdoor food festival right next door, turned out the entire band had gone there and was a bit late, Stevic, their guitarist returned first, had a bit of a chat, rest of the band arrived, we got in, went backstage, had some beers, nice chat, five of them and the four of us in a place sooo familiar, the very same backstage room, that I had been hanging out in with my old band a couple of times... the gig itself was great aswell, but that time backstage... best concert experience ever so far :)

The906 likes this.
  19. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

My first Dream Theater show back in October is my ultimate concert highlight. I was in the second row more towards the left (downstage right from the band's perspective). Setlist was kick ass since in the second half of the show, they played Images and Words in its entirety. I'll probably never forget that I mistook the beginning of Hell's Kitchen for Xanadu. Nonetheless, both songs are great. I even got a guitar pick from Petrucci that night which is ultimately a prized possession of mine.

20. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Elvis on the Louisiana Hayride circa 1954 or 1955.
    Those were the days.