What is your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Ben Lorentzen, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Ben Lorentzen

Ben Lorentzen SS.org Regular

I have three:

1: Deep Purple Oslo August 1987
    This was simply electric. Started off with HIghway star, and Blackmore walked on somewhere in the first verse after a long intro by the band with neither Gillan nor Blackmore on stage. One can only guess what was shouted back stage...But it turned out to be a n incredible night. The band themselves referred to it as special.

2: Chuck Berry, Oslo 1989
    I knew so many of the tunes I surprised myself. They just jumped out of seemingly nowhere, a deep place hidden within, obscure fleeting pictures of cars, radios, records... stuff my parents would listen to. He was very old looking, but still had the undeniable extra. I will never forget that night.

3. Soundgarden Oslo 1996
    I got to meet Chris and Kim back stage before the show because I called up the record lable and told them I was the biggest fan in town. They let me in.
    I will never forrget them walking on and without a count in and kicked off Spoonman. Magnificent!

ImNotAhab and IbanezDaemon like this.
  2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Greg Puciato smashing a fluorescent tube right above my head. Or the time he blew fire in a tiny ass club.
    Hanging and burning with Jim from Chimaira when I was like 17 and they were my favorite band.

ImNotAhab and Dineley like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Symphony X at Gigantour. They absolutely slayed live, then the band joined me and my friends for pizza after their set. Seeing these monstrously talented musicians play at such a huge show and then just be regular dudes offstage really shifted my paradigm.

At a Buckethead show, my friends and I hung out outside of the door for the venue for hours and hours after the show was over, hoping to get a glimpse of the guitarist as he left. Just about the time dawn was breaking, Buckethead came out through the back door and was mobbed by dozens of people who suddenly came out of the woodwork (I guess they were waiting in their cars). He was very accommodating, until someone wanted him to sign an Axl Rose poster and then he made a sort of pig squeal and this unmarked work van raced up to get him away from everyone. It was truly surreal and bizarre - nothing short of what I might have expected given the circumstances.

As cliche as it might sound, seeing Carlos Santana perform, back in the 1990's, was one of my favourite moments. His guitar tone is just phenomenal, through and through, and the way he interacted with the crowd was just so natural and open. You couldn't find a face at the show that wasn't smiling that evening.

This Time Stars Fall played at a local show and the light rigging fell on top of the band, striking the drummer in the head. They quickly checked to make sure he wasn't concussed, and then finished their set with damaged gear. Not really a great circumstance at all, but the guys handled it with such a "the show must go on" attitude, that they'll forever have my respect because of that.

4. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Danny Carey hitting the gong during Lateralus in 2006 at Rock am Ring
    Devin Townsend getting the whole front row to dance with him on stage during Bend it Like Bender during the Addicted tour in 2012.
    Meshuggah's start from a completely pitch black stage during the Violent Sleep of Reason tour in 2016.

5. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

Rolling Rock Town Fair in Latrobe, PA 2004: They had one of those revolving stages to quickly rotate between bands. A band called Finch was scheduled to play, and when the stage revolved, we saw several members of Finch fist fighting Dan Donegan and David Dramain of Disturbed. It was absolutely hilarious, especially since I don't like either band. The guitarist from Finch was using his guitar to hit Dramain. I guess they were all pissed at each other about some comments Finch made in a magazine. Finch later played their whole set and I remember Sevendust standing on the side of the stage giving them in the finger the whole time.
    Ozzfest 2005: Trivium, KSE, and AILD. Matt Heafy from Trivium was so young and I remember him just sitting alone at his autograph table since nobody knew who they were.
    Rock on the Range 2015: First time seeing Periphery. Got up really close and was just blown away by the sound. Have seen them 3 times since, but that first time left me speechless.
    Fear Factory Tour November 2005: Front row to see them with Soilwork and Strapping Young Lad. SYL blew my mind. I remembered thinking Devin looked like a maniac with his "skullet" back then but damn they slayed. FF had Christian on guitar at the time, but they were always one of my favorite bands so I loved it.

6. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I saw Alexisonfire in Chicago in a room of about 200 people like 3 years ago. So sweaty, but such a passionate evening.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Saw Finch open for Staind way back. They were not very good live. One of their guys had a cord wrapped around his strap, but then it wasn't plugged into his guitar, and there was no visible wireless pack. I'm pretty sure he just wasn't meant to be heard. Maybe the sound guy hated them that night, but they sounded atrocious. It was right after their album came out, the one with the song they had that was popular was on, whenever that was. That was the same show where the other opening act's bass player was trying to pick up chicks in the audience while the local opener was playing, and they were enthused to go back stage until one of them asked what instrument he played, then they shot him down hard. That was the day that I realized that bass players really do get no love. :lol:

duffbeer33 likes this.
  8. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

For me the whole day of Guns N Roses at Slane Castle Ireland 1992. About 50 of us hired a coach and filled what room was left with beer for the 3 hour trip. Was about 26C (warm for Ireland trust me) and not a cloud in the sky. Was proper well lit on the beers by the time we arrived. Hit some bars as well before and after the gig. Good times.

ImNotAhab, Edika and The906 like this.
  9. You

You þ

I was at a BTBAM concert in Dallas a few months ago and Condemned to The Gallows began playing and I tried to get into a mosh pit not having been in one before. I got my ass flung everywhere and eventually got knocked to the floor and I thought that I was going to die at that moment but someone miraculously picked me up from the floor. After that, I steered clear of the pit.

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning back in 2003 (?). My top two favorite bands (FW and DT, respectively) plus Queensryche (who I’d rank high as well) = my favorite concert every.

A few others I’d rank up there are Alice In Chains/Hurt (one of my favorites in AiC plus what would go on to become a favorite in Hurt), Exodus/Megadeth (Megdeths first tour back after “breaking up”), and night two of the Cream reunion at Madison Square Garden. Honestly, too many to name. Type O Negative is way up there, there’s a reason I’ve seen Between The Buried And Me 11 times... too many.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Since I'm not cool my favorite memories involve the actual music. Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter (full band version), Opeth - To Bid You Farewell, Joanna Newsom - Sawdust & Diamonds, and especially Maria Schneider Orchestra - Hang Gliding basically took me into the stratosphere with chills.

12. IbanezDaemon

Damn!! That triple bill gig is heaven. Would love to have caught that!! Awesome bands.

13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

NIN in 94.

14. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Seeing Metallica for the first time on the Monsters of Rock tour at Rice Stadium in 88 - I was 15 and went solely to see them, got there early and was right near the front by Hammett. The ground was covered by a dark-green tarp and before any of the bands started, staff was spraying us on the floor with fire hoses which coupled with the Houston heat just turned it into a sauna.

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Queensryche - Operation Livecrime tour... Operation Mindcrime in its entirety followed by Roads to Madness and a couple other selections from their other albums back when Tate could still hit the notes and DeGarmo was still in the band

Pink Floyd - Division Bell tour

JSanta, Edika and IbanezDaemon like this.
  16. IbanezDaemon

Fantastic! So lucky to have caught that. That album is easily in my top ten of all time.

Edit: Mindcrime that is.

technomancer likes this.
  17. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I haven't been to too many concerts but I'm glad I was able to see Death live after the Sound of Perseverance record. I think it was their first time in my country and unfortunately their last too. Great sound and performance by all players but the concert itself was a bit short.

I got to see Iron Maiden live with all their scenery and such from their various eras.

I also got to see Sadus and Atheist (not on the same concert) when both bands were reuniting for some concerts.

I managed to see Megadeth live, being a big fan, but not with their classic RIP line up. Still excellent performance and sound.

Some names might sound banal for North Americans and some Europeans, but for Greece it was a big deal for such bands to come and play.

18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Incubus 2007 crow left of the murder tour.

Fuel... have seen them like 10 times every time i was blown away.

Breaking Ben when they used to play clubs in Scranton. Amazing.

duffbeer33 likes this.
  19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

:yesway:

Fuel is awesome... they were pretty much the house band at a bar in Harrisburg when I was living there before they made it so I have seen them a lot.

20. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

A handful of years ago at Maryland Deathfest, I got kicked in the back of the head by a crowd surfer and skull-bashed the guy standing in front of me... during Bolt Thrower's set all the way near the front of the crowd. I still bear the scar. :tmm: