What is the most painful bite/sting you've had?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

So, I came up with this OT thread idea after seeing Coyote Peterson's youtube show where he gets stung by every awful thing under the sun (bullet ant, lionfish, tarantula hawk, paper wasp, etc.), and compares how bad the pain is.

I seem to attract wasps and ants and creepy crawlies of various sorts. I've been bit by numerous spiders, stung by several species of wasps, and I've been bit by some different kinds of flies, and other creatures.

Wasps and yellow jackets seem to have a passionate hatred for my arms. Only my arms, though, oddly. When I play outside, I get stung, pretty much every late summer. Why? I don't know. Maybe I smell like wasp-food, or maybe a guy that looks a lot like me is an exterminator. Usually these stings hurt for a minute or two, and might get itchy for a day or two afterwards, but it's never been a huge deal for me.

Funnel weavers seem to like me, too, but not quite as much. Again, the bites don't really bother me too much. A little green spider bit me once and it hurt quite a bit more, but still meh.

The mosquitoes here in VT are kind of funny. They are big fat suckers, and I usually can feel them landing on my skin. This usually means that they don't get to stick me with their proboscis. The few times they have manages to get me before I got them, the itchiness was terrible, like being rubbed with the rough end of the velcro for as long as you weren't scratching.

Now for my hall of fame. Two bug bites.

#1 Unknown triangular black fly.
    This was a weird shiny black thing, small, kind of like a jet black deer fly. I have no idea what it was. I was a kid, and I thought it was a wasp. It landed on my right index finger's last knuckle on the back of my hand and belched out a drop of what felt just like concentrated nitric acid on my skin. It hurt like no other. I squished the bug and a dark fluid oozed out of its crushed body. My skin never healed completely there, and I still have a scar, roughly the shape of inverted Oklahoma, about 1/4 inch across. I place it at #1 mainly because of the scar it left behind, but the pain was blinding for a few seconds, however, once the acute pain was gone, there was nothing lingering.

#2 Bark centipede. I used to not be afraid of centipedes. I knew that they had some sort of venom, but I also grew up in Michigan where "house centipedes" were ubiquitous and no one was ever bit by one. One day I was wearing shorts and helping move some old rotten wood to a dumpster as a bit of charity work. One armful of the wood contained a bark centipede (medium reddish-brown with shorter legs and a flat segmented body). The poor centipede got squished between two pieces of wood when I picked it up, unknowingly. One end of the creature fell on my knee and envenomated me. It felt just like getting the hot end of a cigarette pressed into my skin. I said "ouch" and brushed the bug away, thinking the pain would last a minute or so. Once the burning was gone, though, my leg went numb and my knee started to seize. Next was the swelling, which was substantial enough for me to make a trip to the doctor. I guess the little guy was quite angry at me and gave me everything he had, or else I was allergic. It took a couple days to get my knee working normally again after that. I'd rate the sting at maybe 10 yellow jacket stings, or maybe three bee stings.

Last year, I was bit by a German Shepard. I firmly told the dog "no bite" and pushed into the bite firmly but slowly, once he tried to shake his head, and the dog relented. It was over a wool coat, so it wasn't that bad, but for a moment I was pretty concerned at what was going to happen next. The dog's owner was right there, but had his back turned and was unaware of what was going on, or at least claimed he was unaware. The dog was up to date on his shots, and barely punctured, so I just self-treated it and was on my way.

What about you?

2. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Nothing too exotic. I was climbing in a pile of fallen trees and detritus when I was 6 and heard a humming sound. The first thing that popped in my head was the old Looney Toons when one of the characters was being chased by a whole mass of bees. I started looking around for a cartoon ball of bees when the first one bit me.

As a 6-year-old standing on top of an unstable mound of broken trees I did the obvious. I stood right there and hollered at the top of my lungs. Dad came to the rescue and dragged me out of there.

I was bitten 28 times, 3 times inside my right ear.

I once had a Northern Pike bite down and put a long tooth right through my thumbnail and thumb when I thought I could reach the lure in its mouth without a pliers. The look in the fish's eye confirmed that he knew exactly what he was doing and enjoyed skewering me very much. I have scars on almost all my fingers from my experiences with toothy fish. I carry a pretty extensive first-aid kit on the boat at this point.

Really its the little ground-bees that hurt the worst. Right up there with deer flies. I 'found' a nest of them with my lawnmower a week ago and about 3-4 of them got me before I got out of range.

bostjan likes this.
  3. BetterOffShred

BetterOffShred SS.org Regular

So I've been stung so many times by Hornets and "Yellow Jackets" its not even funny, and every time it really makes me rage out. I kind of lose it and stomp about cursing that the insect dares to sting me etc.. but it's really not that painful. The ground wasps are the worst for sure.. they always get my juicy flip-flop feet usually between the toes or something ridiculous.

The black fly bite.. yeah man. I got bit by one earlier this year when the bloom was really bad for some reason, and it hurt like someone had jammed a red hot nail head into my forearm.. It swelled up bigger than a 50 cent piece and was a strange painful lump for nearly 2 weeks. That's pretty high on the pain list for me..

Lots of spider bites of course, thankfully no black widows or Brown Recluse... that's the one that scares me the most. I saw a grown woman with a fist sized crater in her calf area from a recluse bite that she sustained when she was young.. Totally bananas. I got bit by a Hobo spider, which didn't hurt too particularly badly.. but it swelled up and got all necrotic and gross, it pussed and parts of it peeled off. It was pretty gnarly and left a permanent scar, but no crater!

I'm glad I don't live in Australia, they have like 19,023 species of little bastards that can kill you instantly, or disfigure you for life at least!

bostjan likes this.
  4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Usually get stung by a wasp at least once a year. Always on my earlobe. ALWAYS. Hate it.

Got bitten by a spider once...no idea what type. Bit me on my leg, hurt like a stabbing and inside of 20 seconds it swelled up to about the size of a silver dollar, got all inflamed and red. Showed it to my neighbor and he told me to lance it...I had a bunch of Xacto knives but really didn't relish the idea of stabbing myself, so hit the liquor store for some liquid courage. Fifth of Southern Comfort 100 proof later I was passed out. Woke up the next morning and it was gone.

bostjan likes this.
  5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I ate the scorpion at the bottom of the mezcal?

bostjan likes this.
  6. bostjan

Yeah, those Australian funnel weavers that have fangs strong enough to bite through toenails are pretty scary, not to mention the fact that even the cuddly-looking animals like koalas and platypuses (platypi? platypdes??!) still actively hate humankind and have weird venomous stingers and stuff...

A bandmate of mine got bit by a wolf spider once. He like laid on top of it with his shirt off or something like that, and it embedded it's face into his back and left two distinct fang marks, but it didn't seem like it got much venom into him.

I've been around ground wasps plenty, and I think the issue is that what we call "ground wasps" or "ground bees" are different things in different places. The ones we have here don't seem to be interested in anybody unless they are using a lawnmower. :shrug: I've dealt with two different nests here and never once had a single sting. We get paper wasps almost every year around this time on the porch, and those m'f'rs always end up attacking me. Luckily their nests are relatively small ~12 or so, and I have kept myself stocked up on hornet spray which seems to be amazingly effective on them. Almost all of the skinny-waisted proper wasps come after me any time I have something in my hands and I'm outside. I never see those things bothering anyone else.

I've never eaten a scorpion. We don't really have those where I live, except the ones in the bottles of tequila and the ones inside of suckers. The thought of consuming an arachnid intentionally is not appealing to me.

A childhood friend of mine got stung on the tongue by a wasp when he was eating a pear in his back yard. It was ugly, and he had to go to the hospital.

Amazing how different venom affects different people so...differently. I don't really know anyone else who had been stung by a bark centipede, but I have a feeling that my experience was bad because I had some kind of reaction most people would not have. IIRC, Coyote Peterson had the worst reaction to the lionfish - maybe his body has been stung by bugs so many times that he's built up a tolerance, and not the case with marine animal venom. Although, I think if you offered me a few grand to take a sting from a tarantula hawk or bullet ant, I would go ahead and do it, but I would be a lot more squeamish around a lionfish or any kind of feared marine animal, and likely chicken out, not having any idea how my vital organs would react.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Bee, back of my calf as a kid. Couldn't walk for a full day. Not allergic - it just physically hurt that much. I mean, I was a bit of a whiner as a kid, but just putting weight down = wearing pain in whole leg. Cleared up after a day or so though. Next bee sting behind the ear? Just regular hurt for the rest of the evening.

bostjan likes this.
  8. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

I was around 12 and playing in my friend's backyard, felt something on my leg and brushed it off - turned out it was an asp (hairy caterpillar, not a snake). Immediately it looked like I had been bitten by mosquitoes all across my leg above my knee and it burned like hell. My friend's uncle and grandmother were visiting from El Salvador and hurried me inside, they kept calling it a fireworm and proceeded to pour rubbing alcohol into a bowl and opened a few Marlboro's which they put into the same bowl and then packed the mixture onto my leg.

I couldn't sleep that night, the combination of the burning, itching, and whatever the venom was doing to me kept me awake. I remember going into the restroom around 1am and looking at my leg and there were what seemed like hundreds of white heads on my leg...it was pretty gnarly lmao

bostjan likes this.
  9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Just off the top of my head...

> Man-O-War jelly- Very small one but hurt like hell and prob 15 yrs later, still have the faint scar on my upper thigh.
    > Africanized Honey Bees- Happened down in SW Texas. Absolutely brutal attack... The intensity of the attack and sheer number of them was unnerving. I was only stung maybe 6-7x across the face and neck. Just seconds after getting into the vehicle, they were all over the windshield and the drivers side door... still attacking.
    > Yellow bark scorpion- Very similar to a regular old bee-sting... nothing special but figured I'd mention it.
    > Bumble-bee- Happened at Lake Erie. Bastard got me right on my eyelid. My eye completely swelled shut and looked almost bruised. Several days after I still couldn't bend down without my eye/ head just throbbing.
    > Yellow-jacket nest- Was mowing and hit the nest in a dead-stump. They swarmed and got me maybe 10x or less. No biggie but I remember those stings hurt like hell.

Bites from other animals... too long of a list.

bostjan likes this.
  10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Some mad stories here and we don't really have any crazy insects or wildlife here in Ireland but I was cutting some branches with a pole saw and started to get a pain in my leg which I resumed was some thorns I'd walked through while I was looking up. I kept cutting but when I looked down, my legs were covered in wasps since I stepped over their nest. I got so many stings I was dizzy and barely able to walk for the rest of the day.

When it comes to animals. I've been kicked, shoved, crushed, pucked, head butted, stepped on and bitten far to many times but that comes with my job.

bostjan likes this.
  11. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Poisonous Animal Masturbator Emeritus?

bostjan likes this.
  12. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

I used to go bush walking a lot when I was younger and much less lazy, and found out the hard way that these : http://www.blueswami.com/articles-and-fun/stinging-trees are no joke.

I was careless and brushed a leaf or something. It kinda felt like a burn, like someone was holding a bunch of lit cigarettes against the back of my hand for about an hour, until I returned to camp and used a leg waxing strip from a medical kit (packed by someone much smarter than me who prepared ahead and knew what was what) to remove the hairs/spines/whatever the fuck they are. Straight up, fuck those trees.

I've been bitten by wasps and ants and stung by bees before...this was an eye opener, but it was only pain, no damage done, and it felt fine not long after treatment.

I saw it as a lesson, to be more careful and to school myself in potential issues so I would be more informed/prepared in the future.

bostjan likes this.
  13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

what you don't grow up with always scares you more. when I was in the USA and mexico every time I saw a scorpion I freaked out

When I was living in whistler I was working nights as a cook., used to finish aorund 1am after closing . in the spring the were reports of a bear that was hanging around the streets I lived in . I had a 300m walk form the bus stop to my place ,it was a basically pitch black path through the forest. I was pretty much sure I was being followed by a bear every night I walked along it. Candians who grew up aorund it used to laugh their ass off every time I'd be scared of the bear

worst sting I have had is when I was about 10 I was at the beach and got stung by a blue bottle on the end of my dick .it some how got in my board shorts and didn't sting me anywhere else. sucked pretty bad

bostjan likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I got bit by a water moccasin in the leg when I was 8 and swimming in a river. It was this horrible sharp pain followed by a constant throbbing. My leg was swollen and I limped about a mile back to our house in indiana. I got hospitalized for it and obviously they gave me antivenom. Easily the worst bite I've ever had.
    I was bit by a dog once, and he bit so hard he dented one of my knuckles. That one was more of dull throbbing that took weeks to go away, and bothered me quite a bit.
    Been bit by some scorpions down in san antonio but they weren't too bad. Fire ants were wayyy worse. I hate fire ants almost as much as I hate water moccasins.
    I've been bit by a barracuda while fishing and it's essentially a giant musky. Hurt like a motherfucker. Been bit by northern pike as well, though they didn't hurt as bad as the barracuda. I won't stick my fingers anywhere near a toothed fish's mouth now and just use pliers to rip out my bait.

bostjan likes this.
  15. IGC

IGC OCDG

Me, my older sister and two neighbor friends were swarmed by yellow jackets when we were kids. Each of us got stung like five times.

bostjan likes this.
  16. bostjan

I had a feeling you'd give a few good stories for this thread.

You must be the only person I know to take it from a Man-O-War. That's insane. There is no amount of money that would make me consider grappling with that thing.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  17. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

The one that tagged me was so small... didn't even see it in the somewhat cloudy water. Luckily I didn't try to grab at it or brush it away with my hands so it didn't inflict any further injury. I felt it, then saw it, and then backed away... allowing the movement of the water to sort of peel it off of my leg. I knew that they were present so it was just stupidity that precipitated the event. In my defense, we had just met two girls on the beach so common sense was rapidly being replaced by "passion" lol.

I didn't even think about another incident until I read what KnightBrolaire had mentioned, so... one more!

We were mtn-biking/ camping at Lake Somerville here in Texas many years ago. We set up camp without any idea of the storms that were heading our way. That night, all hell broke loose. We awoke to the tent literally getting torn apart by tree branches and debris while torrents of water pummeled us relentlessly. The tent didn't stand a chance against this barrage and at that point we were thoroughly soaked anyway so we packed it up. Essentially all that I could do was to just scoop together the battered remains of the tent and ground tarp, and drag it off towards the car. It was all so crazy that I didn't even notice what was happening until it was too late. As I was throwing everything into the trunk of the car, I discovered a far greater threat than the storm. A flotilla of a displaced colony had swarmed onto our tent! No joke... there had to have been hundreds upon hundreds of them. By the time that I got into the car, they were all over me... arms, legs, face, torso, etc. I honestly have no idea how many times I was bitten but by the time that we made it back home a couple hours later, they were still on me and all over the inside of the car. MY body was a pimply wreck by the time that the onslaught was over.

Okay... I'm done lol.

IGC and bostjan like this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

was on a bike on time and a wasp flew into my t shirt.
    Stung be about 6 times all over my back then must of flew out. Was unbelievable pain and I dont know how I managed to stay riding without falling off and hurting myself.

IGC and bostjan like this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

The bugs and other bastards here are nothing compared to those in Australia for example, but I have to say horseflies bite really fucking hard :lol: On my wedding night, we were walking from the car to the cabin where we spent the night and one of those bit me in the finger. It kept chewing until I waved it away and after that the finger was sore for days... Horseflies don't even sting, they actually BITE and it's really painful. I've been stung by wasps and bees a few times and yeah, it hurts a bit, but IMO it's not so bad unless you're allergic, which I'm not.

bostjan likes this.
  20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

While I was in grad school overseas, an 8" centipede bit me on the shaft of my, well, you know. :coffee:

[​IMG]