What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

The games I probably spent the most time on as a kid were Driver, Gran Turismo 2, and Spyro. But that was 16 years ago so I'm hazy on it :lol:.

At $50 for a new game, it's hard to beat.

I haven't beat a single game since we got the PS4 on black friday 2017. I just don't have a gaming schedule. When I have the house, I usually end up on here or playing guitar. It's usually when she's watching a show that I want to play something :lol:.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Most of my problem with WoW as it went on was that they destroyed the social concept. Servers used to be servers, where players had reputations, trade chat was alive, and most differently, you had to group manually. This was a gigantic pain in the ass compared to LFG, but basically created guilds since you’d constantly be finding new people on your server and finding out who was good and inviting them to your guild or vice-versa. The lfg tool immediately created a big difference to anyone who wasn’t already in a guild since they now were just anonymousplayer123 to anyone they’d group with, but had no effect other than a positive one to those already in guilds or antisocial.

As time went on, though, and blizzard then crammed servers together, and then even started cramming servers together with shards, the whole GAME became a LFG finder and all sense of community died. Trade chat tends to be ghostly, no one talks to each other, players in groups are vastly less friendly since there are zero consequences for being a dick, etc. I truly hate it. And it has NOTHING to do with the game becoming easier or more convenient, apart from the group finder.

Turning off pvp on every single server was just kind of putting the dirt on top of the coffin, but it was completely necessary after a combination of shards and faction transfers/imbalance made it randomly 100% unplayable when you’d phase into a shard with 100 of the other faction corpse camping and the totally nonexistent community meaning you couldn’t group up and strike back like you could in the old days.

WoW is dead. I’ll play the shit out of a new one if they go back to the old style of doing a lot of things.

WoW classic has LFG, doesn’t it? I dunno if I want to play it, anyway. It was kind of miserable back then from what little I played it pre-BC. Soooo clunky and much of the fun was from no one knowing what they were doing.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Well civ 6 is kicking my ass.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I ended up with a copy of Yooka-Laylee in a sale so I've fired that up a few times recently. It's another one that I don't think deserved all the hate it got. Is it the most inspired game I've ever played? Maybe not. It's not going to blow any minds in terms of design so far, but it's mechanically sound, hasn't been buggy for me, and has done it's job of entertaining / passing time without doing anything that takes away from having a bit of fun.

5. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Finally finished my new PC and purchased Arkham knight , the witcher 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2.

PS: the Arkham series Is so underrated.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm replaying the main three Arkhams right now, starting from the beginning (Asylum) through Knight and yeah - they really are a blast. The fighting is a bit too easy even on Normal, as the freeflow system is basically "counter here and there and you're totally fine" unless there's an absurd number of guys; but that's a minor complaint as Batman isn't meant to be a street brawler or anything like you might see with say ...Daredevil. The Riddler puzzles are good, there's a fair bit of detective work in the game itself, and it's linear while still giving you an open area to explore.

Arkham Origins can fuck right off though

7. wankerness

Not at all, those were hyped to death for years. The first two, anyway. The last one was rightly raked over the coals by many for the horrible emphasis on the batmobile, but everything else about it was still great.

The only one you could possibly make a case for being "underrated" would be the third one, Origins, that no one ever talks about.

BlackMastodon and Mathemagician like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely was just tired of the formula by the time I got to that one. Also, it had stability problems when I last tried it- constant crashes. Maybe it's fine now though. If ever I feel the need to revisit those games, I could probably start from Origins.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Origins was the second one that starts off open world in Gotham right? I only got like 4 hours in but thought it was a fun change of pace from the “mostly interiors” of Asylum.

I played asylum way after it came out and went “OOOH” it made perfect sense why people loved it, it’s was finally a great super hero game and Batman no less. The plot pacing was nice as well.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I thought that was the third one....? Now I need to google it.

Edit: It's the third. Asylum, City, Origin, Knight.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Third game released, but it's a prequel to all the events that happen in the Aslyum onwards games; which is hilarious because somehow, pre-peak Batman defeats Deathstroke of all villains in the very first fight of the game, and it's really broke my suspension of disbelief; as did the fight stats at the end of any criminal encounter letting me know how I did.

12. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Strongly agree with everything in this post.
    And no, it won't. You were able to open the interface in the demo but the devs stressed that it was 100% not going to be in the game; it's just a remnant from porting the UI over. It didn't actually do anything.

Me and a few buddies hopped on a vanilla private server after Classic got announced to get back in 'the zone' and to start planning out routes for when it launched, and it was a breathtakingly eye-opening experience coming off of retail. If you aren't opposed to it and have some time to kill, I'd suggest checking one out for a little while- just to bring you back to that point in time.

For us, all it did was get us even more excited for the launch.

13. wankerness

I dunno. I definitely remember how the game played back then. I got a huntard to level 52 and a Warlock to 58 before BC launched, so I had some experience (albeit with the two easiest classes to play thanks to pet tanks), and AFAIK BC really didn't change much in terms of mechanics. Like, I remember well doing some bullshit achievements related to oldschool mechanics, such as levelling all weapon skills to 300 (even on a goddam priest). I have very, very fond memories of raiding in late BC and all through WOTLK. I just don't think going way back in time to classic content that's entirely populated by people that know what they're doing and likely already have a social group in place sounds too appealing as it would be HUNDREDS of hours. I'm still in touch with exactly 0 of the people I used to raid with, unfortunately.

14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

More or less in the same boat, but you'll be surprised.
    Vanilla still has a lot of 'quirks' that people don't know; and coupled with how much Cataclysm and other expacs changed the old world, a lot of what people think they know is not how things actually are. And it's always funny to see someone used to live roll up to a leveling area and pull 3 mobs thinking they're going to kill them all in seconds, and then just get destroyed because it's classic and things don't work like that :lol:

Raids are going to get kicked over easy, I'm sure. But the sense of community is definitely there and I can only imagine it'll be there but stronger come this summer.

Mathemagician likes this.
  15. wankerness

Oh yeah, I remember VERY well how some zones were deathtraps, and some of the earliest zones were sure to teach you that. Like, Elwynn Forest with the goddam murlocs that would run away and pull more mobs as soon as their health got low, and then YOU'D have to run away cause they'd kill you. Or all those dudes around the entrance to deadmines, or all the guys in the northeast part of stranglethorn, etc. Worst thing in the world to suddenly get hit with a fireball by some guy that was behind you that you didn't know was there, you definitely had to run for it. (though with my huntard I could get out of there and feign death, and the warlock had this no-longer-existing ability with the voidwalker called sacrifice where you could make it blow up and then you'd get a damage absorption bubble so you could usually get way out of aggro range before it wore off) It was funny how if you were a dwarf/nightelf/gnome, you had a MUCH easier time for those first several levels. But, of course, then you'd have to get to Westfall as it was light-years faster for the next chunk of leveling.

I definitely remember well how much of a pain it was to get your little lowbie around to the proper leveling zones. I definitely had to do the super-long run of terror from the boat that came from the Night Elf continent to the wetlands (a level 20+ zone) where you'd have to run all the way through it, past various raptors, until you'd finally go through the gate and get to the dwarf area, and then you'd have to run through their city and take the tram and then run all the way to westfall. IIRC that whole process took at least 30 minutes. Those were the days, huh? :p

I think I first started to level a horde character in mid-BC and I lost interest around level 25, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was even worse for them. I was undead, so at least I didn't contend with the infamously terrible barrens.

Argh. This is all so nostalgic. That game was rough, but kind of awesome. But, yeah, thinking back on it, there were all these chunks of levels that were pure pain (Badlands, Feralas, etc) between the small handful of zones that actually had proper quest design (Westfall, Tanaris, Felwood). That Cataclysm redesign was incredible. The only problem with it was that it was TOO good, so you'd level way too fast to see much of anything.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Started Bloodborne again. How can this game be so fricking hard? It's even harder than the first time, I don't remember having such a bad time with the thirsty beast or vicaria. Plus, the hunters I find usually kick my ass numb in a couple of strikes, so fast and painfully hard!!!

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Finished the main story of Spider-Man yesterday. Loved it, will go for the Platinum, and likely get the DLC.

Also, as mentioned in the other thread, just picked up my Smash Bros preorder.

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Hunter’s Axe Big dick swing all day.

Shotgun, win every stun opening on bosses.

chopeth likes this.
  19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't know what weapon you're using, but serrated weapons (Saw Spear, Saw Cleaver, Beast Cutter, Whirligig Saw) all have a damage bonus against beasts. Against Blood Starved Beast, bring Fire Paper (I used Bolt Paper), Pungent Blood Cocktails, and if you want to make it faster, Beast Blood Pellets. Use transform attacks to boost your beasthood and increase your damage output and throw the Cocktails somewhere where you can get between BSB it, that way he'll be trying to get past you while you're wailing away on him.

Vicar Amelia, pretty much the same thing minus the Cocktails. Start of the fight, pop a Beast Blood Pellet and use a Fire Paper with a serrated weapon and start going to town on her limbs. When you break one, she'll be stunned enabling you go to for a visceral, but myself, I choose to wail away on her other limbs because the amount of damage you can do in the time she's stunned between a serrated weapon, fire paper, and beast blood pellets will far outrank a visceral at that point in the game.

chopeth likes this.
  20. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^The problem is that I have spent every fire paper, cocktails, etc earlier and I don't use a serrated weapon. Just the huge axe.