What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Gave in and got Red Dead Redemption 2. Even though I should be continuing my adventures with Kiryu...

Leviathus and LeviathanKiller like this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You'll regret it!

I just finished YS VIII and it's fuckin adorable and was well worth the 45 hours or whatever. The gameplay also ruled, to go along with the kind of cutesy aesthetic/characters. I think the closest thing I could describe it as would be Windwaker meets FF IX, but the gameplay is so much faster-paced and unlike anything I've played. FF XV is maybe the closest in that department, but that one's so much slower and clunkier and only lets you play as one character. I've been over this before though. I can't wait for another. Unfortunately it sounds like the previous isn't too great.

So, now, I could play past the third hour of the last Zelda, or I could start Red Dead Redemption....but I think I'm finally going to continue Persona 4 or try starting Danganronpa cause I'm apparently a weeaboo POS!!!

:p

I got the art book for HZD cause I'm a fanboy and it's pretty great, as far as those things go. It's actually concept art instead of some of these things where it's just a bunch of crummy promo art slapped together. It's cheap, too!

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Despite starting Salt and Sanctuary as well as going pacifist on Undertale, I've decided tackling the games starting with Y (Yakuza 6 and Ys VIII) will be my focus.

And since I've fully invested in Kiryu's story, I'm trying to just get this out of the way as fast as possible. I'm only in Chapter 4, but so far I've ploughed through a ton of sidequests, all the hostesses, and a bunch of other random crap. Just to show how distracting from the critical path these games can really be, I could've stayed longer in Chapter 2 if I wasn't getting frustrated on getting one damn cat to spawn for the cat café. I was already overlevelled as is (most stats on rank B), so I just got bored and went to smash Akiyama's face in with a baby crib.

EDIT: I've also ever reached over 94% on karaoke until now. That song with him playing ukulele was easy enough to reach 98%.

Being in Chapter 4, the portrayal of Hiroshima is beautifully on point. I do agree that having the ink suit actors sort of spoil the plot a bit. Forget Beat Takeshi (that's too obvious) but having both Shun Oguri and Tatsuya Fujiwara immediately rang big alarm bells for me. I do love some of the callbacks to Yakuza 5, namely everything to do with Haruka.

[​IMG]

You know you want to... :lol:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Man, if you guys like Dark Souls then you should check out Chantelise...

Yeah... it looks pretty harmless and easy but I had to stop playing last night before I honestly would have ripped my laptop in half. That game is the definition of unfair difficulty. Either you have to have godlike skills and be able to read the shitty AI perfectly or you have to be like me and grind for hours until you make yourself so OP that you basicly one punch the boss.

5. wankerness

I didn't recognize the other two actors, I don't watch very many Japanese movies apart from Godzilla movies :D I was really frustrated with Yakuza VI being a self-contained narrative and also being the (supposed) last in the series. But, maybe it had a lot of callbacks and connections that I just didn't recognize since I didn't play 3-5!! It just needed a lot more Haruka and a lot less of that stupid guy yelling ANIKI!!!! Which, I was told by my friend, usually has gay connotations (at least in Osaka), which is a bit of context that the game does not provide! :p

RE: Trails of Cold Steel, it looks like it's up my alley, though the first review I read pointed out that you have to return to the same multi-level dungeon SEVEN TIMES through the game. I hate backtracking! Unless it's a sorta side-thing like Mementos in Persona V; maybe it is? Also, I don't have a PS3 so I can't play it anyway. Looks like it's coming to PS4 in the US in 2019 sometime, though. Should be a good year for ports, if those Yakuza 3-5 ports finally get announced for the US as well. It seems like it should be a no-brainer, but it's been 6 months and they've started to come out in Japan and still no word whether they're going to make it here at all!

6. Ralyks

I really should just put my PSTV in my living room and finally get more than 15 hours into Persona 4 Golden.

Also just got to chapter 2 in RDR2. Man, this game is something.

7. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

It's all good. Cool to know that there are players who have a interest in that game despite it almost being 3 years old, now.

8. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

I found the slower pace a frustrating at first but after a little while when I clicked with the pace the game is trying to set i really began to enjoy it.

Still wish it had fast travel to the camp though.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Let's just say, sort of - but not really. Come to think of it, it's a lot more streamlined than that. It's a multi floor dungeon that unlocks a new floor per every subsequent visit, so you can freely skip floors. The more I think in retrospect, every dungeon in the series is just a short corridor with a few exceptions, which I surprisingly didn't mind when the heart of the game play is either the combat system or the anime life sim. Think FFXIII but slow burn to a more rewarding experience. No rush into playing this series, they still haven't localized part 3 and 4 yet.

Also regarding the ink suit actors, Yakuza 4 HD gets one significant change:

Voice actor changes is one thing (a la Destiny when Nolan North replaced Peter Dinklage when he fell asleep at recording) but this is the first time I've ever seen a full recast in a game. Since the original actor has since retired, I guess this was the logical step Sega had to take. Still doesn't make him any less boring, especially when standing next to the other 3 more interesting playable characters.

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

The definition of unfair difficulty; only Dark Souls 2 fits that description.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Dark Souls 2 was fine. Just assume there’s like 8 dudes ready to gang bang you around every corner even behind secret doors and just tip toe in then back out and see what follows you.

Ok so all you people talking about Yakuza - I just played chapter 1 on the free PSN one this month.

I now lament never being able to become a Yakuza crime lord. It looks so awesome.

I’m assuming it all just works out dandy in the end of course.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

yeah, that was the only game in the series that I've ever turtled for entire sections of the game. There was some really stupid bullshit in that game (like how weapon durability was tied to game performance, so more frames=more durability loss).

13. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Heh, I guess so. Chantelise is just as retarded as I thought now that I got a bit further. I managed to beat the second boss just barely after couple of days trying. Then I get to the next boss and it turns out to be one of the easiest bosses in gaming history since it took me just a few tries to realise that I can kill it with two hits. :lol:

14. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Binding of Isaac. This shit is like video game crack it's so addictive.

15. Ralyks

Have in an found a pretty cheap used copy of Spider-Man. Holy crap this game is awesome. I could spend hours just swinging around NYC (and living about and hour and a half north of it, it’s neat seeing all the places I sort of recognize).

16. wankerness

I’m hoping that Spider-Man gets cheap on Black Friday, but it might be a while. I have too big of a backlog to get that cheap right now.

Started Danganronpa and didn’t get into it in the first hour, started Divinity Original Sin and didn’t get into it in the first hour, I need to play one of them for longer instead of being ADD guy and starting more games.

17. Ralyks

Lack of seeing any Black Friday deals on it is part of what made me grab a cheap used copy. Looking at what BF deals have been listed so far, I’m probably just grabbing God of War and Detroit for $25 each. Maybe Tomb Raider, maaaaaaaybe We Happy Few (I do want to try it despite lackluster reviews, but I’m not paying more than half price for it).

18. wankerness

I love the last two Tomb Raider games, but everything I've heard about this one turns me off (very little combat, more emphasis on the crummy characters, way more puzzles). As the last two plummeted in price in fairly short order, and it sounds like this one may have been less of a success, I'm guessing it will probably get cheaper shortly after BF than it does during it? And thus I will wait!

I don't really know what I want for BF. Spider-Man is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that I want to play apart from games that aren't out yet, like Trails of Cold Steel linked above and the non-announced Yakuza 3-5 ports Oh, I do want to play the probably-won't-be-discounted Fist of the North Star. I'm slightly interested in Monster Hunter, but if it's MMO-ish then maybe it's way too late for me to get into it due to the players left all being advanced.

19. Ralyks

Monster Hunter was actually pretty damn good, but for some reason I didn’t stick with it for long. I’ve thought about getting it again now that it’s cheaper.

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

hollow knight still. for $15 this is one big game .even if it drives me crazy its great value

beat watcher knights this morning. took about an hour of trying . they sucked but got there. used the chandelier trick to get them from 6 down to 5 . google gave me that one

unlocked 2 of the egg 3 bosses now . Guessing Im gonna have to fight these guys later ?